HID/LED Headlight Project - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 162 Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

JB weld isn't really the best option for bonding dissimilar materials. I'd look into a plastic epoxy myself. Scuff the surface well and cover the bracket in it, should encapsulate it and hold quite well.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 03-13-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
JB weld isn't really the best option for bonding dissimilar materials. I'd look into a plastic epoxy myself. Scuff the surface well and cover the bracket in it, should encapsulate it and hold quite well.
In hindsight I probably should have known that it wouldn't bond them together. I scuffed both the bracket and the plastic of the housing before my attempt though.

I have a few things on the way for the Jeep and this project.

Apollo 2.0 Full Circle Shrouds (Centric rings as well so they will fit on the h9 projectors):

265/70r17 Cooper AT3's (I have a RC BB & JK wheels in the garage):

Check My Threads For These Builds:
WK LED Headlight Quad Retrofit
WK Morimoto LED Foglights
post #93 of 162 Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Pulled headlight #2 apart and trimmed the OEM shroud. Took the Dremel to the other Murano Projector so It's looking good. Learned from my "mistakes" with the first projector.

H9 High Beam projectors are so so close to fitting without help. I'll probably just use a little bit of JB to hold it on instead of using the centric rings I bought.

Shrouds hit each other. The OEM shroud used to look like a "U" so I trimmed that straight across. It still hits but it's less of the Apollo that will need trimming. I don't plan on trimming the Apollo's though until I have both projectors in and aimed correctly. Then I'll worry about shroud fitment.

Anyway! Progress is progress!! I'm very happy with the way this is going to end up looking.
Yooshaw likes this.

post #94 of 162 Old 03-18-2016, 12:43 PM
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08zombie View Post
Hey thanks! In parts its hard to say... I see 3 potential options though. This is a long post... sorry in advance.

1.) If you have OEM HID assemblies I would recommend just doing a clear lense swap (~$30-40$) on them.

2.) If you don't have HID assemblies, like me, you'll have to buy the replica assemblies (~$250). You could use the projectors that come in them without any problems. The projectors just aren't OEM quality but would still work well enough for people to drive with. You would just need to buy the D1S bulb/ballast. (Can be found cheap on ebay)

I went the "Complex" route with the LED Projectors. They cost ~$130 from HERE. These projectors don't have any bulbs or ballasts. There are 2 LED drivers but that's included in the price.

The "Easy" route would be to purchase a Mini H1 kit like this one HERE. It costs ~$270. This kit should be easier than the LED but just isn't the route that I wanted to go. A bracket would still need to be made but the H1 projector is MUCH smaller. Also it has a high beam so you'd have a HID low beam & HID+Halogen highbeams.

3.) [The EASIEST OPTION!!] You don't buy the HID assemblies. Instead buy the H1 kit linked in #2 (~$270) or a D2s kit like this one HERE (~$315). Both of those kits should be able to fit inside the halogen assembly currently on your WK.

I've been going pretty slow on this build since the LED projectors are all very new to me. The H1 kit would probably be able to be done much much quicker.

Options 1 and 2 will yield an OEM looking HID headlight like this (painting is always another option):

Option 3 will look something like this (painting is always another option):

Sooo after that post are you leaning toward having it done by someone or tackling it yourself?? All of these options will increase the amount of light for your WK. Also let me know if you have any other questions. I will help with whatever I can!
Thanks for the Info, but your parts and prices are ridiculous. I have found all that for pennies and good/better quality. I understand some dont know how to use the net and search, or come and ask questions. But that is what forums are for.

THanks again and Im gunna figure something out, I have an 06 so stock POS crap bulbs. But I think since looking what you posted I can come up with something nice.

Even paying 279 for a part install in the housing is absurd. i can buy an entire headlight complete for under 250

But yes I like what you are doing and Im follwoing till the end ahhaa

WWW.FINALTECHREPAIR.COM
post #95 of 162 Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
Thanks for the Info, but your parts and prices are ridiculous. I have found all that for pennies and good/better quality. I understand some dont know how to use the net and search, or come and ask questions. But that is what forums are for.

THanks again and Im gunna figure something out, I have an 06 so stock POS crap bulbs. But I think since looking what you posted I can come up with something nice.

Even paying 279 for a part install in the housing is absurd. i can buy an entire headlight complete for under 250

But yes I like what you are doing and Im follwoing till the end ahhaa
I thought the prices I found for all my parts for this build were actually good when quality is considered... TRS is a one stop shop and has really great quality & customer service. I'm only a retrofit hobbyist, not an actual retrofit business.

The Headlight assemblies I bought on Ebay and are Eagle Eye brand, Idk where I could have found them any cheaper. True OEM Jeep HID assemblies are going to cost an arm and a leg. TRS was the only place for me to get the LED projectors that I used. Nowhere else had them available.

If you don't mind me asking which projectors and things did you find so cheap?

Thanks for the though!!! Glad I'm not posting this for no reason at all.

post #96 of 162 Old 03-18-2016, 10:01 PM
Yooshaw
2007 WK 

Quote:
Pulled headlight #2 apart and trimmed the OEM shroud. Took the Dremel to the other Murano Projector so It's looking good. Learned from my "mistakes" with the first projector.

H9 High Beam projectors are so so close to fitting without help. I'll probably just use a little bit of JB to hold it on instead of using the centric rings I bought.

Shrouds hit each other. The OEM shroud used to look like a "U" so I trimmed that straight across. It still hits but it's less of the Apollo that will need trimming. I don't plan on trimming the Apollo's though until I have both projectors in and aimed correctly. Then I'll worry about shroud fitment.

Anyway! Progress is progress!! I'm very happy with the way this is going to end up looking.
Wow, that is looking great. That Apollo shroud almost covers it perfectly, and I think it matches the rest of the headlight well.

Looking good! Must resist urge to do mine.

And the part list you posted was spot on. Of course there are cheaper projectors, ballasts, relay harnesses, ignitors, and bulbs, but few have the reliability and warranty that TRS offers.
post #97 of 162 Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshaw View Post
Wow, that is looking great. That Apollo shroud almost covers it perfectly, and I think it matches the rest of the headlight well.

Looking good! Must resist urge to do mine.

And the part list you posted was spot on. Of course there are cheaper projectors, ballasts, relay harnesses, ignitors, and bulbs, but few have the reliability and warranty that TRS offers.
Thanks again man. I'm thinking of rotating the Apollo 45 degrees. I'll take a look at it and decide. My thought is that it may make trimming easier.

You might as well do yours though!!

post #98 of 162 Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Man I love updating the slowest build ever!!! Once the weather gets nice enough at night I can make sure aiming is good and finish up the first headlight. Drivers side shouldn't take long after that.

The Apollo shrouds will need to be rotated 45 degrees. It's going to make trimming them SSOOOOO much easier.

Did a little HB projector mounting today. Not 100% since I have to trim the bolts more to clear the housing. Anyway I know you guys like pictures so here they are:

My temporary harness/adapter thanks to Yooshaw! I will solder & shrink wrap for the final harness.

A comparison between the present state and the future!!!

Fired the projector right up.. No current output shots but I guess I could go out tonight and grab some (weather permitting)

post #99 of 162 Old 03-25-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Took off the front bumper cover to access the headlight bolts. Taped rough estimates where I thought the lights should be.

Color difference

Put the lights on the Jeep.

Beams were pretty off to say the least.

Got the lights "aimed" to the best of my abilities. My driveway isnt exactly level either. I'm not very happy with them and a little irritated I am going to have to do this all over again another night.

Started the jeep up to see what it looks like on the road... well turnso out I need a relay harness. These things strobe like you wouldn't believe. I parked in my street just to get this shot for you guys so I hope you at least sorta like it. The street lights mess with showing the output.

post #100 of 162 Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Started the jeep up to see what it looks like on the road... well turnso out I need a relay harness. These things strobe like you wouldn't believe.
Based on a little research and some suggestions in my other build thread I think THIS is the relay harness that I will need.

post #101 of 162 Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
I am scrapping the RGB Demon Eyes and just keeping the passive. I'm currently building my cashback to buy some things for this build. I will be lifting the Jeep sometime soon when the weather cooperates. Aiming round 2 will take place after that since I'm not sure where the Jeep will sit level-wise. The lift is a RC BB and the tires are 265/70r17.

I need to get night photos of the high beam. Depending I may try to tune it (if possible) in my downtime. It already has a clear lense so I'm not sure how much tuning is even possible. Plus its a highbeam so it isn't really necessary.

I bought a set of these H11 -> 9006 adapters on Ebay. Should get here by Monday the 11th.

Needing to buy these next:
- Mopar Spec Low Beam Harness

- Rubber Housing Caps [Need to measure size. May go with 100mm and use a large zip tie. Might not need these at all depending on how the OEM cap fits with the projectors in there.]

post #102 of 162 Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Yooshaw
2007 WK 

My opinion is those high beams don't need tuning, but who knows what may be possible. I can tell you I loved them on my Cadenza, thought they were much better than the WK halogen reflector high beam.

I'm kinda glad it's taking you a while, helps me to fight the bug to do my WK
post #103 of 162 Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Wow been a month almost!

This weekend came a Jeep update that isn't a 100% a headlight update. I installed the RC 2" lift, JK wheels and Cooper AT3s.

Driving home that night I realized that the OEM Halogen headlights were now ungodly high since the RC lift kinda levels out the Jeep. I felt bad for oncoming drivers but luckily it was a very very short drive. Sunday I adjusted them down with an allen key and about 5 minutes of my time. Moral of the story is that if you are going to lift your Jeep in anyway please check the aiming of your headlights after. Nobody likes being blinded.

Now that my lift is done I am planning to complete the low beam aiming this weekend. I will be ordering the wiring harness today. Probably within the hour.

Pics:

post #104 of 162 Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Another question for ya... hopefully you can answer. I've asked about the OE style projector housings that are easy to find on fleabay, and you had mentioned the projector housing in those is not as reflective as the OEM Valeos. Would I need to find the 08-10 Jeep Valeo projectors, or would any 2.5"(?) D1S Valeo projector work as a replacement. Obviously if Im going to spend money to get better headlights, I want to make sure I'm either replacing it with actual OEM lights, or as close to a suitable replacement as I can get. I found on fleabay several sets of Valeo D1S projectors for $100 and the OE style housings for $230-ish would still be cheaper than 2 OEM housings. I keep an eye out for OEM housings, but they typically are still pretty expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #105 of 162 Old 05-13-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
08zombie

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
Another question for ya... hopefully you can answer. I've asked about the OE style projector housings that are easy to find on fleabay, and you had mentioned the projector housing in those is not as reflective as the OEM Valeos. Would I need to find the 08-10 Jeep Valeo projectors, or would any 2.5"(?) D1S Valeo projector work as a replacement. Obviously if Im going to spend money to get better headlights, I want to make sure I'm either replacing it with actual OEM lights, or as close to a suitable replacement as I can get. I found on fleabay several sets of Valeo D1S projectors for $100 and the OE style housings for $230-ish would still be cheaper than 2 OEM housings. I keep an eye out for OEM housings, but they typically are still pretty expensive.
The OEM projectors can be found by searching "Valeo 89202526". I got this part number from when Omelet swapped in his projectors for OEM ones.

I think that the ones that come with it will work fine since they are DOT approved. It's just with a more reflective bowl, like most OEM's have, you will have more reflected light leaving the headlight.

Any 2.5" projector will fit, you'll just need to make an adapter for the mounts (I know this is what you're trying to avoid so I won't talk too much more about it). I don't know if any other of the Valeo D1s projectors will match up like the part # I listed above. I know a bunch of other 2.5" projectors but they definitely wouldn't line up and you'd have to come up with something.

Have you found any 2.5" Bi-Xenon D1s projectors?? That might be worth it if the mounting holes line up. You may have to trim the shroud in the turn signal area like I did but then you'd come out with dual high beams. Food for thought I guess.

Did I help you out even a little bit? Hopefully I did.

Tags
headlight , hid , led , retrofit , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in