Hemi valve seats - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90grandoneer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Hemi valve seats

I'm looking into getting into a Grand Cherokee, again. My last one was a '99 WJ with the 4.7. I loved it. I am trying to keep my cost down, so have been looking at '05-'10 WKs. I found an '05, equipped exactly the way I want it. Part of that is the 5.7 HEMI.
I have a concern, though. I see several stories of dropped valve seats. Throw a $7k engine repair on top of an $8k purchace and the cost is no longer in line. If there's one thing I've learned in almost 20 years of using automotive forums, it's that they're great at blowing things out of proportion. Does anyone have any information on the actual percentage of the early 5.7s that had the valve seat issue? I've been unable to find any hard numbers, in my searching.
For instance, if you look at forums, the Ford 5.4 shoots out spark plugs at a rate the Phalanx anti missile system would envy. The actual numbers are about 30% of 3V 5,4s had a problem. 2V engines had no issues, at all.

Earth first... We'll Jeep the other planets later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

If you're concerned about that then get a newer one, past when the problem was solved. 2008 and up I think, but check to be sure. Its better to pay a bit more to avoid issues, plus any 2005 is going to have 150-200k miles anyway. Too much given the complexity and cost of repair on these. I love my '07 but simple and cheap to repair like the '98 it is not. My recommendation if you want an WK is get the newest and best condition one you can find. 2010 Limited Hemi with QD-II. In fact if mine had higher mileage that's what I'd do myself, but mine only has 110K miles on it and I'm semi-retired and only drive about 5K miles a year now and split that between the '07 WK and the '98 ZJ.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

I think 90grandoneer can clarify this. maybe he will chime in.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
If you're concerned about that then get a newer one, past when the problem was solved. 2008 and up I think, but check to be sure. Its better to pay a bit more to avoid issues, plus any 2005 is going to have 150-200k miles anyway. Too much given the complexity and cost of repair on these. I love my '07 but simple and cheap to repair like the '98 it is not. My recommendation if you want an WK is get the newest and best condition one you can find. 2010 Limited Hemi with QD-II. In fact if mine had higher mileage that's what I'd do myself, but mine only has 110K miles on it and I'm semi-retired and only drive about 5K miles a year now and split that between the '07 WK and the '98 ZJ.
The one I have my eye on only has 101k, on the clock. The whole reason for the question is to see if I really should be concerned, or not. If it's only 20-30% that suffer from this issue, I would be willing to take the chance. Like I said, forums and internet groups are great for blowing things out of proportion.

Earth first... We'll Jeep the other planets later.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

IMO, this should not be a deal breaker. The valve seat issue is really blown out of proportion but is still a concern, especially, if you travel a lot like the wife and I. I did the heads on both my early (05 LX and 06 WK) 5.7's ONLY because we didn't want to be at risk of having something like this happen away from home and end up at the mercy of some unknown to us shop. Since the heads were off, I had them ported and polished (probably a waste of money as the stock heads are already quite good) and .030 in. milled off them to raise the compression ratio by about a half point....9.6:1 to about 10:1. I did both vehicles for a total of about $4000. Just doing seats (cost about $2-3 each), having the old ones cut out, a valve job and probably a few valve guides shouldn't cost more than about $1000. I recently had the heads done on my 300CSRT8 (164K on it) when I was installing a cam and new lifters, and the heads (no seats, but a few valve guides) cost a little less than $700. I also supplied new valve springs.

As far as being blown out of proportion goes, in the overall scheme of things, a very low percentage of early 5.7's have this problem. There are many of them on the road with well over 200K on them, without issue. You'll hear more about it on the forums because this is where folks vent and/or ask for help and repair suggestions. IMO, this problem is aggravated by heat soak, high operating temperatures and/or overheating. Before doing the heads on mine, for years I ran (and still do) 190* thermostats and reset the cooling fan start temps. so that they were running full blast by about 208*. All of mine now normally run about 200* except in the summer, stop and go with A/C on full cool. Then they seldom get above 210*. The stock thermostat is 203* and the fans don't start coming on until around 22X* and not on high until over 230*.
2005JGC likes this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in