• 1 Post By RCS1300

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-22-2021, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
05WKwhite
2005 WK 

Garage
Help 4.7 timing or something else??

Hi
I got my 05 wk with a 4.7 back from the mechanic after having the following done. New timing gears , HO cams , heads decked and seats pinned.
Now I have ****ty power a p0300 on startup (all on driver side )
And vacuum is 15lbd at idle and drops to zero and bounces off zero with throttle.
Here are the cam gears at TDC. Wondering if they are correct?? Other ideas??

Attached Thumbnails
76661F15-4981-4531-9F96-C1B1075A9F64_1632343065462.jpg   E49EE6D4-CDF2-4D37-9F3E-CB03736A05CA_1632343076645.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-22-2021, 03:10 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
why not take it back to the shop that did the work?

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-22-2021, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
05WKwhite
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
why not take it back to the shop that did the work?
Because I don’t trust them. Several reasons

post #4 of 12 Old 09-22-2021, 09:47 PM
marriedtoWK

Garage
My 3.7L suddenly died while driving last week, it's still at the shop and I haven't heard back from them yet as to what happened. It's my understanding that it's the same engine as the 4.7, just with 2 fewer cylinders.

Just curious, how much did all that work you had done cost? I'm hoping mine is something not too expensive like a sensor or fuel issue... but I'm also dreading the possibility that the engine might be done.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-23-2021, 06:28 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I replaced the engine heads and timing chains on my 4.7 in 2017.

First question - why do you say the P0300 is all on the drivers side?

Second question - are you prepared to do the basics - compression test, leak down test, open the timing cover to check all three chains?

If you paid for the service, I would take it back and ask them fix it.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-23-2021, 06:57 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

For the 4.7L engine 2005 version. I recommend you get the service manual if you want to follow the procedure below with pictures. Below is an excerpt without pictures.

I cannot tell what is going on from the angle in your photos. Take the photos again, this time looking straight and level at the front of the cam drive gears.

Engine base timing can be verified by the following procedure:
1. Remove the cylinder head covers (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD/CYLINDER HEAD COVER(S) -
REMOVAL).
2. Using a mirror, locate the TDC arrow on the front
cover. Rotate the crankshaft until the mark on the
crankshaft damper is aligned with the TDC arrow
on the front cover. The engine is now at TDC
3. Note the location of the V8 mark stamped into the camshaft drive gears. If the V8 mark on each camshaft drive
gear is at the twelve o’clock position, the engine is at TDC (cylinder #1) on the exhaust stroke. If the V8 mark on
each gear is at the six o’clock position, the engine is at TDC (cylinder #1) on the compression stroke.
4. If both of the camshaft drive gears are off in the same or opposite directions, the primary chain or both secondary
chains are at fault. Refer to Timing Chain and Sprockets procedure in this section.
5. If only one of the camshaft drive gears is off and the other is correct, the problem is confined to one secondary
chain. Refer to Single camshaft timing, in this procedure.
6. If both camshaft drive gear V8 marks are at the twelve o’clock or the six o’ clock position the engine base timing
is correct. Reinstall the cylinder head covers.
2005JGC likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-23-2021, 07:07 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKwhite View Post
Hi
I got my 05 wk with a 4.7 back from the mechanic after having the following done. New timing gears , HO cams , heads decked and seats pinned.
Now I have ****ty power a p0300 on startup (all on driver side )
And vacuum is 15lbd at idle and drops to zero and bounces off zero with throttle.
Here are the cam gears at TDC. Wondering if they are correct?? Other ideas??
Were those photos taken at #1TDC?

Here is a good video on the process
https://www.cloyes.com/cloyes-tech-t...g-replacement/

There is pretty specific details on where the chain and sprockets all go when at #1TDC
Also we would need to see the crank sprocket

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2021, 10:34 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Like others have said, its hard to tell by the pictures. The only thing that IS known by your pictures is that neither is where they are supposed to be to identify correct timing. They both need to be at the 12 o'clock position, pointing at the sky. Really if bank 2 is not having problems, then I would assume that the primary chain is correct and the secondary bank 2 chain is correct. If anything I would expect when you get bank to to TDC, that you will find the other bank is not pointing directly up. Having an entire bank working poorly would have me looking at timing... but also, was it like this from the moment you picked it up? Potentially they cranked the motor over with timing out of whack on that bank and bent valves. Fixed the timing but didn't want to fess up to the damage and just shipped it with fixed timing but bent valves. I would agree, being down a whole bank would have me looking in the same spot!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #9 of 12 Old 09-23-2021, 11:34 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

all you have to do is-
attach scanner check codes post ALL codes.
using the graphic function of scanner observe waveform* the CMP (bank 1 and 2) in relationship to CKP.
Are there any modifications - aftermarket BS - programmers, chips, miracle magnets etc?

* Most waveform library's would have a good image to compare.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf timing.pdf (2.43 MB, 2 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2021, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
05WKwhite
2005 WK 

Garage
Thanks! From memory they are correct. I guess lol. I have 2 black links but from everything I can find its correct and at TDC. I put it back together since its my daily driver but if it comes to it I’ll
Take it crack apart.

The compression is 180-187 on all cylinders.
New spark plugs and new distributors.
More after class.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-28-2021, 02:21 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
all you have to do is-
attach scanner check codes post ALL codes.
using the graphic function of scanner observe waveform* the CMP (bank 1 and 2) in relationship to CKP.
Are there any modifications - aftermarket BS - programmers, chips, miracle magnets etc?

* Most waveform library's would have a good image to compare.
There is only 1 CMP on the 4.7 and 3.7l on bank 2. If bank 2 is on, you wont see on a scanner or labscope that bank 1 is off.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #12 of 12 Old 10-21-2021, 09:47 PM
mtnhrdwair

Random thing happened to mine. It was throwing multiple misfire code after head gasket replacement. Ended up finding cylinder 3 intake and exhaust valve rocker arms off. Lash adjusters replaced and ran smooth as butter. Taking off valve cover isn’t bad. Just look to see what cylinder has the highest misfire count first and start there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in