• 1 Post By nwoods
  • 2 Post By bobwatford123
  • 2 Post By underscore
  • 1 Post By Vertisce21

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2021, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
bobwatford123
2006 WK 

Has anyone removed rear seat permanently?

I never use it.....it's almost always in the folded position and was thinking about removing the entire rear seat as it looks like it would free up a bunch of space...whether it be for camping or just cargo. Also maybe even seeing about removing the 3 cargo storage areas to gain more height if that seems doable. Basically ending up with a long flat rear cargo area....possibly built to be extended over where the rear seat was to add more usable level surface area with storage underneath there. Has anyone done anything similar to this? I did a brief search and didn't find much which somewhat surprised me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2021, 07:38 PM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
I haven't done it to my WK, but I did it to my LJ and to an LR3 prior to that. The main issue with what you propose is that the floor space behind the seat is not flat. The little compartments for the tire jack are sloped up and would make for a poorly shaped platform.

However, if you remove the tray in the rear, and then the seats, and build out a full length floor, it should turn out terrific. I would build up the floor to be flush with the plastic trim around the rear lift gate hatch, and then cut in "hatches" into the floor to access the few inches of storage space below the floor. Something like what Goose Gear does in their flat floor loading platform systems: https://www.goose-gear.com/products/...platforms-2019

Here are some photos of the rear of a WK with the cargo tray pulled out:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7325D.jpg   IMG_7326D.jpg   IMG_7336D.jpg   IMG_7334.jpg   IMG_7335.jpg  

bobwatford123 likes this.

2006 Jeep WK on 33ís
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
bobwatford123
2006 WK 

That is exactly the info I was looking for man and great pics thanks! Glad to see that cargo area is one unit...I wasn't sure what I was going to be getting into as I hadn't done a whole lotta research. I was wondering if the jack areas etc were bumped up a little but yeah as long as I base the lowest point of the floor to that highest point it should work out good and likely end up fairly flush with the rear hatch trim. The lower the better as long as it's reasonably level. In theory I'll build the floor as far forward as possible with the front seats all the way back and maybe make a folding area with a cutout for the middle armrest that can be raised with the seats fully forward to extend the floor even more if camping etc. That may be overcomplicating things though. Who knows....I'll likely start in a couple of weeks when I'm off work and figure it out as I go. Those pics were enough that I know I'm definitely removing the cargo area and rear seat first and the floor can be designed and figured out after that.
nwoods and SKALA308 like this.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 12:54 AM
underscore
2000 WJ 

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have access to the top of the spare tire winch mechanism.
nwoods and SKALA308 like this.

00 WJ
[x] 07 WK CRD/OME/MALONE 1.5 [x] 00 XJ/OME [x] 97 TJ [x] 92 YJ
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 08:15 AM
Vertisce21

This makes me realize just how much of a pain in the *** it's going to be to take those rear side panels out for repair and painting.
nwoods likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 01:42 PM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

I had this thought a few days ago when I was daydreaming turning my WK into an overland rig. In 3 years I may have had people sit in the back less than 5 times, usually its just set up for my dog. Looking at nwoods pictures just illustrate how much volume the seats take up, If I did a flat floor system it would open up a ton of storage space, I would just need to leave a small area for my dog to sit. Keep us posted on what you come up with!

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #7 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 PM
Godskids

Just remember ( if yours has it ) to leave access to the gas tank fuel filter in case you need it !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in