Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD life expectancy - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-12-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
contrary1
2007 WK 

Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD life expectancy

What has everyone been getting for reliable life expectancy on their 3.0 CRD's. My '07 CRD has 145,000 miles (mostly highway) on it but a recent job change has me putting 1,200 miles a WEEK on it (pretty much all highway running around Nebraska). Body and interior are in great shape, engine runs like a top and the WK receives routine maintenance. The only thing I know that I will need somewhere in the near future is transfer case work as I am getting a small amount of whine out of it. I know this is a loaded question with lots of variables but I'm curious what most of you have gotten your CRD's to before you felt you exceeded your point of diminishing returns (i.e. I'm just curious as to how long I might be able to use this for work with 50-60,000+ plus miles a year). GDE eco tune, DPF delete, otherwise pretty much stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

If it were kept stock it should probably survive a few years but when you start tuning and changing the settings and such is when you will start to cause life expectancy issues just the same with any vehicle, once you modify them to do things they weren't supposed to then the problems start. 145k now and no issues I'd think another 100-200k maybe doable if you keep up with the maintenance. As soon as you have a major engine or transmission problem that's the point where you'd probably have to say goodbye as a transmission rebuild or replacement is probably $2-4k and an engine being a diesel would be probably $6k+. I had a shop do a transmission rebuild with some heavier duty internals, and an engine replacement in one of my vehicles, all in the bill was $13k....so with that being said expect that kind of a bill when an engine or transmission goes .

There's a guy in town that has a Jeep Liberty with the CRD in it and last I talked to him he hadn't had any problems with his and he had 179k on his and he goes 4 wheeling so it receives much rougher treatment than your Grand Cherokee's highway use would. Open roads out on the highway is the easiest way to pile up the mileage without hardly wearing anything out, its all the stop and start driving and offroading that takes its toll on an engine typically...well that and lack of maintenance LOL.

I wonder too what kind of miles people have racked up on their CRD's. They're not very common, at least not here in Idaho, I've only seen a couple Grand Cherokee CRD's and the 1 Liberty CRD.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

If you're going to be doing that kind of mileage I'd look at grabbing a small car that gets good fuel economy for daily driving and keep the WK for fun. The diesel is light on fuel but even still you'd probably save a grand a week.
Xmind likes this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

post #4 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 10:42 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

Ive seen a few CRDs with over 200k and one with over 300k so much like any other vehicle if you are good with maintenance it should last a good while. You can check with the sprinter guys to see how long the OM642s are lasting for them. I feel like they see a lot more abuse but have good maintenance and as a fleet vehicle I assume they want to be able to get a lot of mileage out of them before replacement.
wildbill23c likes this.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #5 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
contrary1
2007 WK 

I considered a small car for the job (the added 10mpg would definitely save a bit in fuel costs). But these old worn out joints don't like getting in and out of small low sitting cars and honestly I truly enjoy this jeep and 24-27mpg sure beats my trucks 14mpg She's in good shape, paid for, runs good and is fun to drive. Figure when it wears out I will get a smaller crossover or something to replace it. I was just curious what others have seen for miles before their CRD's cost too much to repair. I guess I was hoping to get mine to 250-300K miles before that point.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 11:19 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I have a gas version that I put in covered storage during the Spring and Summer while I drive a 6 cylinder Toyota Camry and get 30 mpg. While I save a fortune in gasoline and fluid changes (differentials, transfer case, transmission) I regret not using the Jeep. Age is as important as mileage in a vehicle. Plastic, rubber, and gasket materials disintegrate. I will probably have to retire it with less than 150,000 original miles when it gets to 20 years old - it is a 2005 with 98,000 miles.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrary1 View Post
What has everyone been getting for reliable life expectancy on their 3.0 CRD's. My '07 CRD has 145,000 miles (mostly highway) on it but a recent job change has me putting 1,200 miles a WEEK on it (pretty much all highway running around Nebraska). Body and interior are in great shape, engine runs like a top and the WK receives routine maintenance. The only thing I know that I will need somewhere in the near future is transfer case work as I am getting a small amount of whine out of it. I know this is a loaded question with lots of variables but I'm curious what most of you have gotten your CRD's to before you felt you exceeded your point of diminishing returns (i.e. I'm just curious as to how long I might be able to use this for work with 50-60,000+ plus miles a year). GDE eco tune, DPF delete, otherwise pretty much stock.
Hi
I am not a vehicle engineer so this is just my opinion.
The miles you are doing are highway cruising so the engine should lap them up.

Fit a catch can.

Keep the oil changed regularly and I would opt for a proper heavy duty diesel engine oil such as Amsoil 5w-40 https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=DEOQT-EA

Keep all other fluids changed and do not just wait until manufacturer suggested intervals. In my opinion these intervals are the bare minimum. Fluids are relatively cheap as are air, oil, diesel and transmission filters.

Am I correct in thinking Diesel in America can vary in quality? I intend no disrespect saying that. Only buy top quality. Your high pressure pump and injectors will thank you for it. I only use Shell V-Power.

Other than this you are in the lap of the gods but at least you have done all you can to help the Jeep.

Brit
wildbill23c likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
contrary1
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit30-06 View Post
Hi

Fit a catch can.

Keep the oil changed regularly and I would opt for a proper heavy duty diesel engine oil such as Amsoil 5w-40 https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=DEOQT-EA

Keep all other fluids changed and do not just wait until manufacturer suggested intervals. In my opinion these intervals are the bare minimum. Fluids are relatively cheap as are air, oil, diesel and transmission filters.

Am I correct in thinking Diesel in America can vary in quality? I intend no disrespect saying that. Only buy top quality. Your high pressure pump and injectors will thank you for it. I only use Shell V-Power.

Brit
Brit I appreciate your input and it is good to meet another amsoil devotee. You are correct diesel quality does vary around the U.S. (and even around the state) and this MB engine does seem to be a bit picky on diesel quality. You can even hear a difference in the sound of the engine at an idle (low quality diesel equals a noisy idle). During the winter it gets treated with Amsoil All in one diesel treatment. One of the reasons for DPF delete was so I could run a better diesel oil (Amsoil 5-30 Max Duty). A 5% boost in fuel economy was a plus too. All other fluids are Amsoil as well (have had great luck with Amsoil for nearly 20 years).
post #9 of 19 Old 10-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Hi
All diesel sold in UK and across EU must by law meet a minimum spec. 51 Cetane is the minimum. There are only two types available. What we would call a standard Diesel and then the more expensive 'premium' Diesel like the Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate.

I see I am preaching to the converted with regards to Oil No C3 stuff here.

I see in Nebraska things can get pretty Snowy for you so the Jeep will come in handy. Time to get out now and fill the Freezer with Venison?

Brit.
contrary1 likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM
bbacq
2008 WK 

~300k km on a 2008 WK CRD OM642, Ottawa Canada winters. Two years in for us as owners. Did glow plugs on purchase, water pump, all fluids a bit later. Bone stock. I'm thinking it is broken in by now, anyway. :-) I think the motor will outlive the electronics in this vehicle. Currently having alternator issues, but I'm hoping it is a 400-500k km engine...
contrary1 likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Just my input from having a gasser. My 2008 4.7 has about 190K right now. All told in 5+ years and over 100K miles I've had very few problems of significance and it runs and drives fantastic. If I'm to believe my brother who is a diesel mechanic, my engine should go to pot real soon here (not likely) and his Ram with a cummins will surpass 500K with barely an oil change (equally unlikely). I know diesel engines are made for longevity, but the point here is no matter how long the engine will last, your vehicle is essentially the same as every other WK on the road and things break down. As RCS1300 points out, age is a factor whether it's been sitting or not. Keep it maintained and you'll likely be fine, especially as it continues to age. I never worry about miles driven on a vehicle. Maybe it used to be the case that vehicles making 200K was a substantial feat, but I would almost expect it these days whether a diesel or not. Especially if it's maintained properly.

I had a 86 Jeep XJ with a 2.5L 4cyl that went 208K before I sold it, a 93 Ford explorer that went 218K before I traded it on a 99 Chevy blazer that went 230K before I traded it on a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I put 120K on and needed significant engine work. And since 2013 I've had the Jeep which is now at 190K and I plan on keeping it for quite some time. (those are just my SUVs).
contrary1 likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 12:22 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I'm rocking 239,000 miles on my CRD. I have owned it for 90,000 miles (5 years).
The Sprinter guys have been know to break into the 500,000 miles without much trouble.

Keeping on the normal things, and catching the could be majors quickly, it should last you a long while yet. The biggest things that will set you back are the swirl flap issues and the oil cooler. Both, if you can or can get it done cheaper, could be more maintenance items. You have the Eco tune, so really if you take the intake a part to replace the oil cooler seals, just hot tank the intakes to clean them out and you'll be good. Check out pictures of mine taken apart at roughly 165,000 miles in my Sig linked thread.

Oh... and mine has all been converted over to Amsoil except the transmission currently.
I still use the 5w30 euro spec oil and doing a 5000 mile filter change and a 15000 mile oil change.
contrary1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 PM
SGGuy64

I'm currently just shy of 250k miles on my 2007 CRD. I recently did the oil cooler seals and replaced the radiator and AC condenser. If you are able to do the oil cooler seals yourself you will save a ton of money. My CRD has an elephant hose bypass, DPF delete, GDE hot tune and I had the swirl valves, EGR and it's cooler removed when I did the oil cooler seals. Lifted 2.25 inches and 235/80/17 Treadwright Warden AT tires with a LMP winch bumper and 13000lb winch, rock sliders and engine and center skid plates. I'm not easy on my Jeep but I do maintain it...it doesn't burn oil and I have minimal blow by evident from the elephant hose bypass. As things stand I would be surprised if it doesn't last me another 200k miles or more.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-16-2019, 10:13 AM
jimcrd
2014 WK 

I am on my 3rd 08 GC CRD AWD. First one bought new in 08 and sold with 265,000 and running strong. My second I sold with 148k and running strong. My present one has 85K on it and runs great... Pay attention to the requirements for 5 W 30 Mobile one synthetic oil only. My changes are every 7K miles. That engine is rock solid. You should get 350K out of it if you take good care of it. Pay attention to the forum it will save you lots of $$$...
post #15 of 19 Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 PM
jfalkine

My gas 3.7L 2008 just turned 210,000 miles (or 340,000 kms for us Cancuks). Canít say I always babied it but no real 4x4in either.

Tags
crd , diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in