Grand cherokee 2007 sways to the right and lower Ball Joint movement. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Grand cherokee 2007 sways to the right and lower Ball Joint movement.

So recently I got installed a pair of moogs K80629 lower ball joints; installation went good and after that it was aligned but 1 day after the alignment the car started to sway to the right with the steering wheel straight center resulting in having to hold it a bit to the left for the jeep to go straight.

I took it to the alignment place which is different from the shop that did the job; they told me that the new ball joints have some vertical play and that the upper ball joints need replacement so my question is, can the lower ball joints have some play or do I need to replace them again, as far as I know the K80629 was showed to fit on the vehicle with no issues also could the damaged upper ball joint be causing the car to sway to the right?

Here's an attachment of the ball joint.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 05:19 PM
b00001
2005 WK 

What???!! How long has this been?

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00001 View Post
What???!! How long has this been?
Last week actually, I picked up the jeep and took it for alignment; while in the alignment shop they told me that the lower ball joints (which are the new ones) have a bit of play vertically and that upper ones need replacing (which is fine they are pretty used) what I'm still wondering if having a bit of vertical movement is bad for the new ball joints.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
new ball joints should have no noticeable play.

FSM says 0.5mm is the limit.

Quote:
LOWER BALL JOINT
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
LOWER BALL JOINT
NOTE: If the ball joint is equipped with a lubrication fitting, grease the joint then road test the vehicle before
performing test.
1. Raise the front of the vehicle. Place safety floor stands under both lower control arms as far outboard as possible.
Lower the vehicle to allow the stands to support some or all of the vehicle weight.
2. Mount a dial indicator solidly to the topside of the lower control arm and then zero the dial indicator.
3. Position the indicator plunger against the bottom surface of the steering knuckle.
NOTE: The dial indicator plunger must be perpendicular to the machined surface of the steering knuckle.
4. Position a pry bar under the tire assembly. Pry upwards on the tire assembly.
5. If the travel exceeds 0.5 mm (0.020 in.), replace the lower ball joint (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/LOWER
BALL JOINT - REMOVAL).

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
new ball joints should have no noticeable play.

FSM says 0.5mm is the limit.
I was actually reading the service manual just now, looking to see if there was a tolerance with the vertical movement, as you said its 0.5 mm the max it should travel; so I'm gonna have to get that checked was going to ask, if this movement is happening you think it could be that the lower control arm is worn out for the ball joint to fit tight?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in