GDE Eco Tune Fuel Economy problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
A.Grasser

GDE Eco Tune Fuel Economy problems

Hey all, I recently installed the GDE Eco Tune onto my 08 WK CRD and upon intial start up I immediately noticed the difference in engine sound, acceleration was much more responsive and I was loving it! I couldn't wait to see what kind of fuel savings I would get. Unfortunately after a week I have yet to see an improvement, in fact it has got slightly worse. At first I thought that maybe it needed time, but after searching the forums everyone seems to report immediate fuel economy boosts.

Before the tune I was averaging 11.2l/100km (21mpg). On highway I could get 10.6l/100km (22mpg). I've always been a very conservative driver and rarely accelerate aggressively. After a week with the Eco Tune I'm averaging 12.2l/100km and 11.2l/100km highway.

I contacted GDE and told them what was going on and asked for help/suggestions. I was told "do not use the extra power" "result may vary" and the best fuel efficiency is achieved in the 30-65mph range. I'm not sure what they mean by extra power seeing I haven't changed how I drive since before the tune. Most of my driving is on roads that are within that speed range and I've never heard of anyone having no or worse fuel efficiency after the tune. I was then told to reload my stock tune and watch my fuel economy after one tank and see if there's a change. I closely monitored my fuel economy before the tune so I'm not sure what this will achieve.

All my fluids are changed on time, including my air filter, and I take very good care of my Jeep. I run stock suspension and tire size and haven't changed anything from before to after the tune.

I like the GDE tune and heard great things about it and the company, that's why I commited to spending the $1000 CAD and got it. I was mostly excited about the fuel economy savings so I'm concerned that I'm not getting that.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Or can maybe provide some insight as to why I'm not getting any fuel economy savings from a tune that promotes a 2-4mpg benefit. GDE doesn't seem very interested in helping me solve the issue so I'm hoping I can find help here.

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2020, 06:25 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
I would check for fuel leaks at filter or injectors.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #3 of 11 Old 06-26-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
A.Grasser

Thanks for the reply, but I checked and I have no leaks from what I can see.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-27-2020, 08:27 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

Maybe a boost leak? You could also have a plugged DPF. if it was restricted before, then the tune isn't going to make it any better. I didn't know the service history of mine before I got it and it really only had two owners but with GDE hot tune and DPF delete I gained 3 MPGs on my combined mileage.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #5 of 11 Old 06-27-2020, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
A.Grasser

Hey thanks! Could you elaborate a bit more on the boost leak? I just deleted my DPF a little over a week ago and still haven't seen a huge change in fuel mileage, it's possible it was plugged before but now there should be nothing restricting it. With your hot tune do you drive very conservatively and only use the extra power when you need it? I haven't changed my driving style since before the tune and the guy at GDE said to not use the extra power... Just trying to get an idea of how other drive in case that's contributing. Thanks!

It may also be worth nothing that I've dealt with the corroded fuel tank issue so I know I'm not loosing fuel that way. Just a side note.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2020, 10:20 AM
moonvan
2008 WK 

I still drive fairly normally but do get on it once in a while. I have noticed though that with the hot tune if i drive more conservatively in the city my fuel mileage tends to be a round .5-1 MPG lower so it does help to drive a little more aggressively. Boost leak could be from the silencer kidney bean thing, they tend to crack over time and you may not necessarily hear it. I replaced mine with some aluminum tube and silicone hose connectors. You could check the front of your intercooler too, there is a screw right behind the grille that can puncture the front of the intercooler. I dont think those would have that much influence on your MPGs though unless they were really bad. I noticed a few times in the last few years since I did the hot tune where my mileage would go up or down 1 or 2 MPGs for a month or so, I never figured out what was causing it but it always went back to normal. I drive the same route every day and get my fuel at the same station every time so it was kind of odd.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee S-Limited CRD
post #7 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 02:06 PM
nomercy346
2008 WK 

I got the GDE tune, first thing I did after buying the Jeep basically so I don't really know the MPG before tune but I now get around 24 mpg (according to the gauge) cruising at 80-85. I guess thats what should be expected? I think it got like around 21 with the stock tune. I read some comments on here saying they get 26-28 but I guess thats at lower speeds or with a 2WD or with DPF delete (my Jeep is not deleted)

I still suspect I have some type of leak that I have to investigate. I read on here these CRDs supposedly barely make any turbo noise? My Jeep has noticeable boost sounds from the outside (like pssshhhhhh) and a very(!) slight turbine whistle. How much boost/turbo noise do you guys get with or without the tune?

08 WK Limited CRD
14 RAM 1500 Hemi, CCSB

96 ZJ Limited 5.2 - sold
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 12:41 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Boost leaks will cause ETC and CEL light to come on. There will usually also be oil smear where the leak is.
Ask me how I know 😢

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
A.Grasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvan View Post
I still drive fairly normally but do get on it once in a while. I have noticed though that with the hot tune if i drive more conservatively in the city my fuel mileage tends to be a round .5-1 MPG lower so it does help to drive a little more aggressively. Boost leak could be from the silencer kidney bean thing, they tend to crack over time and you may not necessarily hear it. I replaced mine with some aluminum tube and silicone hose connectors. You could check the front of your intercooler too, there is a screw right behind the grille that can puncture the front of the intercooler. I dont think those would have that much influence on your MPGs though unless they were really bad. I noticed a few times in the last few years since I did the hot tune where my mileage would go up or down 1 or 2 MPGs for a month or so, I never figured out what was causing it but it always went back to normal. I drive the same route every day and get my fuel at the same station every time so it was kind of odd.
Now that you mention it I have a small puncture in my intercooler from that exact screw... I knew it was something I would have to address but it didn't seem to affect my drivability and it was very small. I've been keeping a close eye on it but the expense of a new intercooler is not something I want to afford right now. And if I'm going to replace it I may as well get CB Engineerings aftermarket one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy346 View Post
I got the GDE tune, first thing I did after buying the Jeep basically so I don't really know the MPG before tune but I now get around 24 mpg (according to the gauge) cruising at 80-85. I guess thats what should be expected? I think it got like around 21 with the stock tune. I read some comments on here saying they get 26-28 but I guess thats at lower speeds or with a 2WD or with DPF delete (my Jeep is not deleted)

I still suspect I have some type of leak that I have to investigate. I read on here these CRDs supposedly barely make any turbo noise? My Jeep has noticeable boost sounds from the outside (like pssshhhhhh) and a very(!) slight turbine whistle. How much boost/turbo noise do you guys get with or without the tune?
Seems like youve still got better fuel economy then me, but are you running any aftermarket parts (Tires, roof rack, lift, etc)? I have a couple light bars and roof rack but ive had those since before the tune. My jeep is deleted as well and still haven't seen a drastic increase in mpg.

As far as turbo sound I don't really notice it. If I really listen I can hear it but it hasn't changed from before to after the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrau View Post
Boost leaks will cause ETC and CEL light to come on. There will usually also be oil smear where the leak is.
Ask me how I know 😢
No ETC or CEL light for me, but I do have an oil leak. One mechanic said it was coming from my turbo, another said it might be my oil cooler. I plan on take it all apart and do a seal replacement one day but that job is not one I look forward to doing.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 02:31 PM
nomercy346
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Grasser View Post

Seems like youve still got better fuel economy then me, but are you running any aftermarket parts (Tires, roof rack, lift, etc)? I have a couple light bars and roof rack but ive had those since before the tune. My jeep is deleted as well and still haven't seen a drastic increase in mpg.

As far as turbo sound I don't really notice it. If I really listen I can hear it but it hasn't changed from before to after the tune.
Nope, all stock, lift and tires are next. Still running on stock all season tires and only have the stock Mopar crossbars on that shouldnt affect much if anything.

08 WK Limited CRD
14 RAM 1500 Hemi, CCSB

96 ZJ Limited 5.2 - sold
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
A.Grasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy346 View Post

Nope, all stock, lift and tires are next. Still running on stock all season tires and only have the stock Mopar crossbars on that shouldnt affect much if anything.
Good to know thanks! As for your turbo noise, I did some research and our diesels have the airbox and turbo resonator that keep it pretty quiet. There's a way to get more turbo sound by installing a universal cone style filter and deleting the resonator but if you don't have those then I'm not sure where your sound could be coming from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in