Front driveshaft slinging grease, need help/info - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Rattlecan
2007 WK 

Front driveshaft slinging grease, need help/info

Grease is being flung out of the front coupling on my front driveshaft.
It's a thick, black grease sticking to the frame, starter, and oilpan. It seams to be coming out in very small droplets, then getting blown around a bit.
In the pics I've highligted the grease in yellow. It seems to be in a direct line with the seam between the larger coupling (attached to the front differential) and driveshaft, highlighted in red. It's definetly not comming from the rubber boot as the boot is behind the line of grease.

I did remove this a while ago when swapping engines as I had to remove the front differntial. I re-installed and have driven it 500 miles or so since. It drives great, no noise or vibrations. The QDII works great, too.
I confirmed that the bolts are secure, and the driveshaft has no slop or wiggle.

Is there a seal or gasket between the front differential coupling and the driveshaft? Something else causing this?
Also, does anyone have a good drawing or exploded diagram of this front coupling/driveshaft? My service manual doesn't really have anything other than a couple of pics fully assembled and installed. Links to a drawing or parts would be great!

Thanks,
Rattlecan
2007 WK Limited, 5.7, QDII

Attached Thumbnails
Grease under Jeep 1.jpg   Grease under Jeep 2.jpg   Grease under Jeep 3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2021, 03:30 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

I cant find any info that shows a gasket where you are loosing grease. You might want to try coating the 2 mating surfaces with RTV.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM
GRAND420

It could be your valve cover dripping down onto the drive shaft and then the drive shaft flings it up. By the time the oil drips down it might thicken up and look like grease.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2021, 11:15 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
that's moly grease from the CV joint on the prop shaft. look for images of your front propshaft, PN 52853431AA, and you can see the weep hole at the end of the CV joint cover that it is puking out of.
Attached Images

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in