Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

front differntial bushings

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Billbo1970 
#1 ·
I've already searched the forum and can't find the threads I'm looking for :( In any event, every time I check any of the links, they all say "SOLD OUT". Anyone know where to buy the upgraded front differntial bushings that won't wear out so quickly?

Also, I've read that they are "noisy" compared to stock.. how noisy? What does it sound like, I won't think I've killed a wheel bearing or anything, will I?

Bill

#5 ·
I also found THESE, which are significantly cheaper, and the description on them sound very nice... anyone ever heard of SuperPro?

https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf4427k

These differential bushings have a paneled design that allows for better lubrication and cushion which helps cut down on the noise and vibration increase that is usually noticed with more dense polyurethane mounts.

At the base of the flanges the bushings are beveled which allows for smoother articulation, further cutting down on the harshness of your ride. This will also increase the life of the part since this is a normal wear area during hard use.

#6 ·
I used the Super Pros and a factory style bolt on mount. They are a bit ornery to get in. You have to press perfectly straight or they want to pop out and bounce around the shop like flubber. Once in, no noise increase and very, very slight NVH increase. Factory style are too weak for the load on them and you'll be doing them again in a few years. The poly ones should last much, much longer than rubber.

#9 ·
Superpro and then factory style rubber for tge front mount. Great combo, very happy with that on mine.

Creative steel makes good products too. I have steering rack bushings from them on my liberty. Very good quality.

#14 ·
What symptoms are you feeling on your current bushings?
Just that obnoxious clunk when you come off the gas during acceleration. It's been going on for over a year, and now I've got a whine in the 60-70 mph range that may be coming from the diff :surprise: See my other thread for more on that LOL.

#12 ·
following, I happened to have newer ones on mine already so I likely have a year or two, but this has been on my mind for several months, when I had last looked around the Jeeperf was all I could find. Superpro didn't have a US supplier that I could find, and I hadn't heard of creative steel, nice to see there are options popping up. I do like the Jeeperf ones myself based upon pictures, they look to be very well made. I kind of don't care for the Superpros not having the 3rd bushing....why would I want 2 polys and one factory crap....I am trying to delete Chysler incompoetence. lol The creative steel looks solid too!

#13 ·
#17 ·
I've been researching. You can't just judge on poly durometer alone, but it sets a standard for comparison.

I talked to Creative Steel 75a durometer on the daily driver. Race is 95a

Jeeperf said they use 80a durometer that is about 10% harder than that of rubber.

The Superpros are an 88.

#19 ·
I've had the super-pros for and regular Jeeperf front mount for a year and probably 50 or 60,000 km. I've totally forgotten how the Jeep used to feel and fine with how it is now (if it is different, it doesn't stand out to me). Reliability is now 100% not that I've looked at them since putting them in. They just do their job.
If you want a weird feeling from one of these things lower one of your tires down to 20 PSI and leave the rest alone. At highway speeds you'll get all kinds of vibes and sounds.

#25 ·
Finally had the bushings replaced after being delayed by ISAIS!

That whine I have another thread about is DRAMATICALLY quieter now! Could really worn bushings cause a whine that sounds like a wheel bearing is going???? It's still there but so much quieter that I'm wondering if it's just some minor high-speed NVH from those poly bushings?

Anyway, the ride is really nice and there's no noise unless that 65-70mph quiet whine is NVH from them.

I highly recommend the rubber front/SuperPro side combo!!

#27 ·
Glad to hear that!

I pulled the trigger on the Creative Steel ones. I figured it was about the same money and will cover me for the rest of my Jeep's life.

I'm having my local mechanic install mine next week as well as replace a rusted oil pan.

I'll report back if my whine has improved once I get a good test drive in.

#29 ·
I think the noise is too loud to be NVH. I think it's so much better, but it was so bad that it's not as quiet as I initially though it was :grin2: I was thinking.... could it be a bad pinion or carrier bearing in the diff, and replacing the really shot bushings took enough strain off it that it's not whining as much now, but still has issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.