Forget my oil pan rust- service contract issue.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Forget my oil pan rust- service contract issue..

Picked up the 08 GC limited today....after TWO WEEKS...for not starting issues and other things....I get in, and it actually takes a couple cranks to start! "Check engine" light is on, won't remote start, and "Service 4WD" message pops up. Unbelievable. Oh, they hosed me for $700 for the "covered" oil pan, which I have and will attach pics and let you ball busters decide if it leaked because of rust..

Meanwhile, since i've only dealt w/ jeep dealers last 20 years...and can't find one worth the drive...are other manufacturing dealers this incompetent??

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Avs
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
Picked up the 08 GC limited today....after TWO WEEKS...for not starting issues and other things....I get in, and it actually takes a couple cranks to start! "Check engine" light is on, won't remote start, and "Service 4WD" message pops up. Unbelievable. Oh, they hosed me for $700 for the "covered" oil pan, which I have and will attach pics and let you ball busters decide if it leaked because of rust..

Meanwhile, since i've only dealt w/ jeep dealers last 20 years...and can't find one worth the drive...are other manufacturing dealers this incompetent??

What kind of code did you get? Yea they donít call them stealership for nothing.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 PM
brent_m

Quote:

Did they do any recalls on your rig while it was in? I know the ignition recall seemed to have a swell of folks with the Service 4WD error popping up. It was an easy fix for the error if I recall correctly.

But yeah, overall you're pretty salty. Let's see some pics of this oil pan. I'll show you mine :P

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow

post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

pics are...1st 2 outside rust,next two pan interior.. no rust or holes--pristine!, the 5th is where it seems to have delaminated...and looks bent....and the last are tool marks on top where the delaminating occurred...apparently its a two-ply pan...maybe to guard against rust??
Attached Thumbnails
panrust.jpg   panrust2.jpg   paninside.jpg   pan inside2.jpg   pandelaminate.jpg  

oiltoolmarks.jpg  

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

I know, I wrote "forget about my oil pan" and then went right back to it..my apologies....just now that i have it i really feel ripped off....

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 05:59 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

Sorry dude, that delamination is definitely due to rust. That pan is far from pristine, Its got rust bubbling up under the paint, thats stage 4 cancer right there.... Terminal. If I were looking for a pan at a pick-n-pull, I would definitely NOT take that one home....

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 AM
brent_m

We must have different engines, my oil pan isn't painted. Where was it leaking from?

Do you have a skid plate? All the little spots look like they started as tiny rock dings. Does the shallow side of that pan see more road debris?

PS. I don't have a dog in the warranty fight. That's between you and the dealer/OEM.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
It is all about the contract. In my head, so long as it was leaking from the sealing surface, I would think it should be covered. If it is leaking from rust holes, I would say that is the environment and not the manufacturer. At the same time, if it is leaking from the sealing surface NOT because of rust, I would say it would be fair to expect you to pay for the new pan while they warranty the labor. I respect not wanting to do the repair on the dealer side and putting that back on, but if its not leaking BECAUSE the rust I do not see how they are denying the whole claim.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacaur View Post
Sorry dude, that delamination is definitely due to rust. That pan is far from pristine, Its got rust bubbling up under the paint, thats stage 4 cancer right there.... Terminal. If I were looking for a pan at a pick-n-pull, I would definitely NOT take that one home....
I noted that the INSIDE is pristine, not the outside, which apparently is another layer. IF it leaked at the delaminated area (the mech indicated it leaked from the sealing edge) and was due to rust, and if rust and/or corrosion was listed in my contract (it isn't, tho it is in my 2017 contract...go figure) then I would have no argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
We must have different engines, my oil pan isn't painted. Where was it leaking from?

Do you have a skid plate? All the little spots look like they started as tiny rock dings. Does the shallow side of that pan see more road debris?

PS. I don't have a dog in the warranty fight. That's between you and the dealer/OEM.
No skid plate on this one, maybe that's why its double walled??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
It is all about the contract. In my head, so long as it was leaking from the sealing surface, I would think it should be covered. If it is leaking from rust holes, I would say that is the environment and not the manufacturer. At the same time, if it is leaking from the sealing surface NOT because of rust, I would say it would be fair to expect you to pay for the new pan while they warranty the labor. I respect not wanting to do the repair on the dealer side and putting that back on, but if its not leaking BECAUSE the rust I do not see how they are denying the whole claim.
THere are no rust holes. That's why i said the inside is pristine.
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 05:34 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
It is all about the contract. In my head, so long as it was leaking from the sealing surface, I would think it should be covered. If it is leaking from rust holes, I would say that is the environment and not the manufacturer.
Quote:
I noted that the INSIDE is pristine, not the outside, which apparently is another layer. IF it leaked at the delaminated area (the mech indicated it leaked from the sealing edge) and was due to rust, and if rust and/or corrosion was listed in my contract (it isn't, tho it is in my 2017 contract...go figure) then I would have no argument.
All right, final question, was the spot it was leaking from right at the spot where the rust is in pic 4? If yes, then yes, it was leaking because of the rust, because the rust weakened the edge of the pan there, allowing it to warp enough to leak.
If it was leaking from another spot, then I will agree the rust had nothing to do with it.

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-05-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacaur View Post
All right, final question, was the spot it was leaking from right at the spot where the rust is in pic 4? If yes, then yes, it was leaking because of the rust, because the rust weakened the edge of the pan there, allowing it to warp enough to leak.
If it was leaking from another spot, then I will agree the rust had nothing to do with it.
Well, that was their initial claim for the leak...where the rust was, but I pointed out that rust is not in the contract...as i've stated....but is in my newer jeeps contract ...here's my initial post: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...-rust-4378205/

By the way, I barely drove the jeep home before it had to go back...for a battery..which was my initial complaint because it wouldn't start...I picked it up again today. It went in on November 18th. Work done: one upper control arm, one cv boot--both covered--oil pan/gasket (not covered...yet) )and battery, not covered. Only 17 days.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in