Fixing front drop after winch with Superlift - JeepForum.com
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Planetcat
  • 2 Post By craigbru
  • 1 Post By 2005JGC
  • 1 Post By Planetcat
  • 1 Post By DarkSideofWill
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Barra
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salem
Posts: 35
Garage
Fixing front drop after winch with Superlift

After installing my Superlift this past spring I added an RRO hidden winch, Badland Apex 12000 winch, and a hybrid Steel Armadillo/JBA front bumper/brush guard. That combo added as least 150 lbs to the front and dropped the front by about 0.5-0.75". I've also wondered while installing the SL if there would be any benefit to having longer springs/struts rather than utilizing the stock setup with large spacers. At this point I'm hoping for some ideas on options for the front suspension. Are there any stock length HD springs to help compensate for the added weight? Would it make sense to get a quality 2" spacer kit and the 2" lift OME front HD coils and maybe some longer struts?


I just saw that SL discontinued the WK lift. I think I must have bought the last one.

Barra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Planetcat
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 2,098
You can try the Rusty’s strut plates. They’re easy to install and cheap, but will only net you about 1/2”. They’re intended purpose is to level out a stock wk. I have them on my 2” billsteins and got that 1/2” I needed to level my rig. Heres the link: https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...tes-xk-wk.html. You might be able to stack them too. They’re very thick plate steel.
riderboy1961 likes this.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
Planetcat is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 08:50 PM
2005JGC
Registered User
 
2005JGC's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Portland
Posts: 732
Garage
3/4" is the lowest Bilstein 5100 height option. They ride great, and will give you back all the height you lost.

Assuming you are in Salem, OR... We should hit some trails sometime! I'm up near Portland but I'm always down to travel!

Coilovers are an "option". I put that in quotes because anything is possible with enough money and there are guys on here and in the facebook groups that are running coilovers. I don't know of any companies that currently make an upper coilover mount plate for the WK. Pretty sure there have been a couple that came and went in the past. For the second time I tagged him in a post tonight... @craigbru was going to be installing some radflo coilovers on his rig, he is always doing incredible stuff to his rig, but I'm not sure if he completed this project yet.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
2005JGC is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 06-13-2021, 09:47 PM
craigbru
Registered User
 
craigbru's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
For the second time I tagged him in a post tonight... @craigbru was going to be installing some radflo coilovers on his rig, he is always doing incredible stuff to his rig, but I'm not sure if he completed this project yet.
Unfortunately not installed yet. I had a knee replacement this year and I'm not quite up to full speed yet. Actually it's more like I've got a list of other projects to complete for my wife first, lol. It's on the summer agenda however.


Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
badgerwithhands and 2005JGC like this.

Jeep-Core
craigbru is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Barra
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salem
Posts: 35
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
3/4" is the lowest Bilstein 5100 height option. They ride great, and will give you back all the height you lost.

Assuming you are in Salem, OR... We should hit some trails sometime! I'm up near Portland but I'm always down to travel!

Coilovers are an "option". I put that in quotes because anything is possible with enough money and there are guys on here and in the facebook groups that are running coilovers. I don't know of any companies that currently make an upper coilover mount plate for the WK. Pretty sure there have been a couple that came and went in the past. For the second time I tagged him in a post tonight... @craigbru was going to be installing some radflo coilovers on his rig, he is always doing incredible stuff to his rig, but I'm not sure if he completed this project yet.

Yes I'm in Salem, OR and would totally be up for exploring some trails. I'm a novice to off roading so you'll have to put up with me an my learning curve.


I did see the King Coil overs but the added cost after doing the already pricey Superlift seem to be a bit much right now. I was hoping someone made some more heavy duty stock springs. Like I mentioned, I supposed the OME HD 2" springs with 2" spacers would do the trick. I'm not sure Bilsteins alone will make up for the sag without higher spring rates. Either way, I'm trying to figure out how much that little bit of height loss bothers me. Seems like either way it's a high added cost for 0.5" difference.


I read through a bunch of craigbru's post when I was planning out my build. That is how I found out the JBA side rails were compatible with the Steel Armadillo brush guard. I think I got lucky getting into the WK when I did. Just about everything I've purchased has been discontinued within a few months of buying them.
Barra is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2021, 11:26 PM
2005JGC
Registered User
 
2005JGC's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Portland
Posts: 732
Garage
I am always down to get out and happy to take it easy! I love playing in the dunes, trails and snow! These rigs are SUPER capable and a lot of fun! Browns Camp in the Tillamook State Forest is always fun, Yacolt burn up in Vancouver is a great time too (speaking of, they have added a couple trails since I made it up there last, I need to get up there!). There are also some great trails south of Browns camp, and probably more reasonable drive northwest for you. Its also a long drive for me (about 2 hours to get there) so I've spent less time on these trails. Harder to plan ahead knowing what is easier and harder when I am not there much. I don't know what's down around Salem but, I'm always down for a drive and seeing new stuff!

The bilsteins increase preload on the spring, you also have a .75, 1.5" and 2" snap ring land option (iirc) so you have choices to bump it up. This is going to be a bit confusing to explain because suspension geometry. The superlift spacer is approximately a full 4" spacer. This is done because everything is pushed down 4" with the superlift. If you remove the block and add a spacer lift and spring, you would actually lower the jeep (at least from where it was). Other lift options don't actually fill the space from the strut tower to the control arm with the stated lift height of additional lift. Because it mounts right about the middle of the lower control arm, for every inch the strut extends, the wheel actually travels about 2". So when you remove a full 4" block and replace it with about 2.5-3" of space filling components, it means your wheel would actually go UP (lowering the jeep) about 2".

Adding the Bilsteins to the SL spacer gives you options to lift more if needed (without having to buy more parts). I believe it was Omelet who cut OME springs down to reduce the overall lift on top of his superlift while gaining the benefit of the stiffer spring rate. This is an option for sure if your looking for a stiffer spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Yes I'm in Salem, OR and would totally be up for exploring some trails. I'm a novice to off roading so you'll have to put up with me an my learning curve.


I did see the King Coil overs but the added cost after doing the already pricey Superlift seem to be a bit much right now. I was hoping someone made some more heavy duty stock springs. Like I mentioned, I supposed the OME HD 2" springs with 2" spacers would do the trick. I'm not sure Bilsteins alone will make up for the sag without higher spring rates. Either way, I'm trying to figure out how much that little bit of height loss bothers me. Seems like either way it's a high added cost for 0.5" difference.


I read through a bunch of craigbru's post when I was planning out my build. That is how I found out the JBA side rails were compatible with the Steel Armadillo brush guard. I think I got lucky getting into the WK when I did. Just about everything I've purchased has been discontinued within a few months of buying them.
riderboy1961 likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
2005JGC is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2021, 02:49 PM
riderboy1961
Registered User
 
riderboy1961's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Portland
Posts: 205
Garage
I am hoping you guys don't mind me jumping in on your conversation a little bit......

I have the 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 - The shocks/struts seem to be well used and in need of replacement/bounces several times when going slow over speed bumps.

I would like to Upgrade the Stock struts/shocks with some aftermarket brand - My preference in my vehicle ride is Firm, probably more firm than when this was brand new.
I am Not interested in Articulation, just a Good Firm Ride. (I will be Rarely off-road)

Do you have any suggestions on what Make, Model of shocks/struts to purchase that would give me the Most Firm/Stiff type ride?
I would be fine if I need to Upgrade the front strut Springs in order to get there, if that is what it may take.

Thank You in Advance Gentleman!!

Thank You,
Bo
riderboy1961 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 PM
DarkSideofWill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 123
Bilstein B8's or Koni Yellows are both firm. The Konis are adjustable in rebound.
DarkSideofWill is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2021, 08:46 PM
riderboy1961
Registered User
 
riderboy1961's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Portland
Posts: 205
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideofWill View Post
Bilstein B8's or Koni Yellows are both firm. The Konis are adjustable in rebound.
Thank You!

What is your opinion on the: RS9000 9-position adjustable shocks for the Rear? - I don't know if they are available for this jeep though.

Thank You,
Bo
riderboy1961 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-27-2021, 04:01 PM
Planetcat
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
Thank You!

What is your opinion on the: RS9000 9-position adjustable shocks for the Rear? - I don't know if they are available for this jeep though.
Iíve had the rs5000ís on the rear of my wk for about 4 years now. They are a bit stiff, but not overly so. Solid shock. Thick piston tube reduces lateral flex on turns too.
riderboy1961 likes this.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
Planetcat is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 06-27-2021, 04:22 PM
DarkSideofWill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
Thick piston tube reduces lateral flex on turns too.
That's only a consideration in strut suspensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
Thank You!

What is your opinion on the: RS9000 9-position adjustable shocks for the Rear? - I don't know if they are available for this jeep though.
I haven't run Ranchos, but their website currently has no RS9000 listings for the WK.
riderboy1961 likes this.
DarkSideofWill is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-01-2021, 01:42 PM
3Recon
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 55
riderboy1961
Hi, IMO big improvement over stock with the Bilstein 4600. I fit them on my 2009 but changed out for the 5100'er for the lift and low miles and good spring OEM springs for now. check CL or pm me.
enjoy your trails.
3Recon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome