• 1 Post By Arneb04
  • 1 Post By 99sajeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
jklanier84

2002 KJ Liberty 

First time WK owner

Hey Guys!
So, I've been on the forum for years for my KJ. It was finally time to get a new Jeep and I made the jump to a WK.

Picked up a 2006 Laredo, 4x4, V-8, 160,000 mi. Already has a 2-3" lift, A/T tires, and maybe some more mods. Also, new heads, radiator, and water pump.
I bought it sight unseen and will take delivery tomorrow. I did have a relative go test drive it for me, and said it runs and drives great.

Since I'm not very familiar with the WK's, I was hoping for some advice about common maintenance I should plan on, as well as any WK specific things to check/inspect when I take delivery. I have read all the "FAQ" and "Buyers Guide" sticky's, but thought it was a good idea to introduce myself to the WK community and ask for advice.

Thanks in advance!

06 WK
02 Ironman KJ
"When you have a Jeep, you must do Jeep things."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 PM
BadExample

2006 WK 

Welcome JK!

http://wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm

Maintenance schedules are there, and be sure to pay attention to the pickiness of fluids. Coolant, transfer case and axles need the right stuff.

I always try and get all the fluids changed within the first few months of owning a new used 4WD. You never know what someone may have used or if they ever serviced things like axles.
jklanier84 and SillyDude like this.

CJ5 we don't talk about, 58 Willys CJ-3B gone
79 J-10 gone, 99 GC WJ murdered and gone
2006 GC WK
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

also, check the bushings on the front diff. they have a tendency to wear out causing a big clunk when shifting from part to reverse or drive. some people think the trans is going bad & dump the rig. ask me how I know that one ..

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

^ Or if it has QDII, and the front diff needs the fluid changed some people think it's "stuck in 4hi" and "the tcase is broken"
jklanier84 and BadExample like this.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
jklanier84

2002 KJ Liberty 

So I took delivery of the Jeep this afternoon. Drives pretty good from what I can tell.

The check engine light is on with code P0128, for the thermostat, so ill be replacing that ASAP.
Also, I'm planning on changing ALL the fluids, belts, and filters.

Did a quick check of the 4x4 system and it appears to be ok. It has the selector for 4LO, so I'm guessing its got QDII???
It does have a mild clunk from the front end in 4LO so I'll check the front diff bushings.

Did a quick inspection of the undercarriage and suspension. The lift is about a 2" spacer lift, which sucks, but it rides okay so I'll leave it until I can afford a high quality 3-4" suspension lift. Noticed the inner boot on the drivers side CV axle is completely gone, I can only assume all kinds of trash got in there, so I'm planning on replacing the whole axle. I noticed a ton of rust, especially in the rear end on the frame behind the axle. I also noticed some on the UCA's around the bushings, and on some other suspension parts. I think I'll wait it out and replace anything with any rust when I install the new lift.

I'd heard that the interior door handle pockets are garbage, and sure enough, all four of mine have crumbled into pieces. Any suggestions on how to repair these?
Also the back-lighting on the climate control is out so I'll need to replace the bulbs.
Needs new windshield wipers in the front, and the rear wiper doesn't appear to be working.
Lastly, it only came with one key and the buttons dont work, so I guess I'm heading to the stealership to get some new keys made.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190625_150139.jpg   IMG_20190625_150148.jpg   IMG_20190625_150158.jpg  

06 WK
02 Ironman KJ
post #6 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM
Arneb04

2008 WK 

Dont pay the dealership for more than one key if you have one that works to turn the vehicle on already. You can buy keys on amazon for cheap and program them yourself very easily as long as you have 2 that work. Looks like those are plastidipped laredo wheels so you may have the QTII and not QDII. Might want to check the build sheet via VIN number. There are a few websites where you can do this. Both QTII and QDII have the Lo T-Handle, in front of it on the shift fascia it may say Quadradrive if it has the QD system. Also if it has a sunroof, check the headliner above the drivers and passengers A-pillers for staining. The drains are prone to clogging.
jklanier84 likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 10:55 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklanier84 View Post
I'd heard that the interior door handle pockets are garbage, and sure enough, all four of mine have crumbled into pieces. Any suggestions on how to repair these?
thrasherhandles.com This is the website of the guy that designed the replacement door handle kits in the very beginning. Was a JF member here too back in the day. He's very helpful in determining which color you have also. You can find cheaper kits available just about anywhere (not by much), but I used his kits and the quality is outstanding!

Quote:
Also the back-lighting on the climate control is out so I'll need to replace the bulbs.
I think I saw on here somewhere that the lights in the climate control panel are actually really small LED lights (or something like that). They can be replaced, but you can't do it by going down to AutoZone for replacements.

Quote:
Lastly, it only came with one key and the buttons dont work, so I guess I'm heading to the stealership to get some new keys made.
I'd check with a local locksmith first. If he can get the key/remote for you, then he can mostly likely program it a lot cheaper than the dealership will.
jklanier84 likes this.

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

The backlights are tiny bulbs that are soldered in (terrible design), there's a few how-tos here on how to replace them with LEDs.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Arneb04

2008 WK 

It's easy other than the disassembly of the center stack. It takes a little effort. The bulbs are super cheap single LEDs that are like $.06 apiece (or should be anyway). The factory version has a blue cover, which in some cases can be saved, other cases not. Clip dead bulbs off, solder new ones on, done.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
jklanier84

2002 KJ Liberty 

WELLLL this sucks....
I found some rust when I crawled underneath the Jeep.
The underside of the rockers are pretty bad. Also found some on some sort of subframe by the spare tire.
The rest of the Jeep is okay,no frame rust or floor pan rust. A small ammount of corrosion on some of the suspension pieces but nothing concerning.
Lemme know what yall think. Can that subframe be replaced? What about a fix fro the rockers?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190626_125432.jpg   IMG_20190626_125357.jpg   IMG_20190626_125343.jpg  

06 WK
02 Ironman KJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in