Finally replaced water pump.... BUT.. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 02-26-2020, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

Finally replaced water pump.... BUT..

I’ve had nothing but problems w my cooling system. It all started w me having to replace my heater core. Once done, I got it from the shop that did it and I never had heat on idle again.. Only when I drove it. I kept taking it in so he could fix the problem, but couldn’t figure it out. He then called a Jeep technician and he had said that he was positive it’s the water pump.. I ordered the water pump, as well as new hoses. I called a local mechanic and he did everything all at a really good price. Replaced water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, serpentine belt, and I even had him do a flush & replace the coolant w G05 coolant. He did all that for $220.. Now when I start the Jeep I hear water coming from passenger area. Further research on google says that it could be air in heater core.. Does that sound right? I’m going to try to burp it in the am, I went to auto zone and bought a new radiator cap as well and some more coolant.. I think I might need to go back and see if they have a spill proof funnel I can get. Any tricks or pointers before I do this?

- 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 btw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Take it out and beat it for a minute or two. I've had one or two vehicles with difficult air pockets before, a good WOT run or two usually forces the coolant through.

That's one way to do it anyway...

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff
post #3 of 28 Old 02-26-2020, 05:32 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The mopar thermostat has a small hole at the top to let air bubbles through. Of installed upside down. Maybe you have air trapped at the thermostat?

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears

post #4 of 28 Old 02-26-2020, 09:30 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Both comments above are true and air in the system is probably your major problem here. My concern is, since yours is an 05 Hemi, that you be extremely careful NOT to overheat it. I don't want to scare you or anything but, I don't know if you're aware of the early Hemi dropped valve seat issue which is many times caused by overheating. If not, search this forum and the internet for, "early Hemi dropped valve seat problems". IMO, cooling systems, especially on our Chrysler vehicles, is probably one of the most important systems to insure is maintained properly. Improper thermostat installation, as jeeptorino68 said, and air in the system like caulk04 said, are two of the biggest problems when servicing the cooling systems. The bleed plug on the front of the new water pump (by the thermostat housing) should be used during the initial fill of coolant (MUST BE HOAT type mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER) and, after finished, put some teflon tape on the plug and screw it in just enough so it won't leak. Most of these plugs come from the factory way over torqued and sometimes difficult to remove.....even more difficult with age/corrosion/electrolysis. Using this bleed plug will get most of the air out of the system, but it will still need to be bled until completely free of any air in the system. Also pressure check the system to insure there are no small leaks/seeps.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-27-2020, 07:23 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
Both comments above are true and air in the system is probably your major problem here. My concern is, since yours is an 05 Hemi, that you be extremely careful NOT to overheat it. I don't want to scare you or anything but, I don't know if you're aware of the early Hemi dropped valve seat issue which is many times caused by overheating. If not, search this forum and the internet for, "early Hemi dropped valve seat problems". IMO, cooling systems, especially on our Chrysler vehicles, is probably one of the most important systems to insure is maintained properly. Improper thermostat installation, as jeeptorino68 said, and air in the system like caulk04 said, are two of the biggest problems when servicing the cooling systems. The bleed plug on the front of the new water pump (by the thermostat housing) should be used during the initial fill of coolant (MUST BE HOAT type mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED WATER) and, after finished, put some teflon tape on the plug and screw it in just enough so it won't leak. Most of these plugs come from the factory way over torqued and sometimes difficult to remove.....even more difficult with age/corrosion/electrolysis. Using this bleed plug will get most of the air out of the system, but it will still need to be bled until completely free of any air in the system. Also pressure check the system to insure there are no small leaks/seeps.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
^^^^^

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 28 Old 02-28-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

Alright guys.. So I ended up trying to get the air out. After attempting to no avail or much time, I took it in to a different shop and they did an inspection on the Jeep as well as everything of cooling system. After they did that, they flushed the heater core thinking that would be the problem. It worked, but after a short drive and bringing it back they said it clogged up again. They took some kind of camera and looked into the heater core area/ evaporator core.. They said they found some white sludge or something along there. They were not really happy, saying that the shop never replaced the heater core.... Or they did but didn’t evacuate/recharge the hvac system.. The shop that found this problem told that when they do a heater core, they also do the evap core and evac/recharge the hvac system.. I took their inspection report and took it to the original shop that “did” the heater core.. He threw his arms up in air and said it was BS and continues to tell me that my old heater core part was left on the bench for weeks. Idk why he mentioned that. But he said it’s under warranty and he’ll redo it if he has to. And continues to tell me that he’s probably going to fight with the warranty trying to get a new one. I don’t see how, If its defective? Anyway.. I have it scheduled for March 9th. We’ll have to see what comes about it..
post #7 of 28 Old 03-04-2020, 08:01 AM
brent_m
2007 WK 

Did you get electronic photos from their scope? Most of the time it's just a few extra steps to get those photos for reference.

Bummer the problem persists. It sure sounds like something definitely grenaded in your cooling system and is continuing to wreak havok. I almost wonder if the original heater core issue was just a symptom of another issue (something else deteriorating inside your system).

The good news is you have a fresh water pump and seal for that Hemi. As mentioned above, it's important to not let your Hemi overheat.

When you replaced the pump, did you back flush it completely and thoroughly (both block and rad)?

There's a spring/wire insert in your lower hose to prevent it from collapsing. I wonder if that's deteriorating. Were the hoses replaced at any point? What else is there to rip and replace? your rad? geez

Can they video scope your radiator to find the source of the contamination?

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #8 of 28 Old 03-04-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

Yes they provided photos. And lol right might as well get everything replaced since I’m most of the way there lol.. Yes, flushed entirely from rad and through. Hoses were replaced as well... I’ll just have to see when I go in next Monday. I’m planning on taking pictures before I take it in. Just to make sure he don’t do anything shiesty to my vehicle. I am still losing coolant here n there, I checked the firewall where the heater core is located and it was soaked. Had to top it up once.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-04-2020, 05:00 PM
brent_m
2007 WK 

Yeah, wipe up all the coolant (wet and dried) and you'll find where its weeping from. I had a little trouble with the hose clamps. I think I had one with a bit of an angle and it had a slight weep.

The first mechanic would have had to completely remove your dash to replace the heater core. You'd think there would be signs of his work (it's a big f'n job). Do you suspect you were taken advantage of by the first mechanic?

post #10 of 28 Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

I’ll look into that.. & honestly no, my wife had grew up w his wife’s daughter. So she recommended us to him, and a few of my coworkers go to him as well.. everyone says he’s the “Jeep guy”.. I’ve had no issues w him until now.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-05-2020, 11:18 PM
wvucampjeep

2007 WK 

Eduardo,
If it is your heater core, there is a very simple way to do the replacement yourself without the entire dash being pulled. I have seen it done the way Chrysler says it needs to be done with the entire dash and wheel being removed and I have seen it done via the glove box removal way. There are a couple of YT videos showing the procedure and not only is it quick, but you will also save boatloads of $$$. RockAuto has the Mopar heater core for the 5.7 Hemi for $66.
post #12 of 28 Old 03-06-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvucampjeep View Post
Eduardo,
If it is your heater core, there is a very simple way to do the replacement yourself without the entire dash being pulled. I have seen it done the way Chrysler says it needs to be done with the entire dash and wheel being removed and I have seen it done via the glove box removal way. There are a couple of YT videos showing the procedure and not only is it quick, but you will also save boatloads of $$$. RockAuto has the Mopar heater core for the 5.7 Hemi for $66.
I appreciate your comment. But I did pay the boatloads of $ cuz I wanted it done ASAP lol it being the only vehicle I have for the family. Mechanic says it’s under warranty so it’ll be free this time unless he comes up with some bs.. Do you guys think I should get the evaporator core replaced as well? Since it’s next to it.. He told me
Last time they don’t do it unless it needs it. I just have a funny feeling he’s prob gonna charge me the labor as well while he’s doing heater core.
post #13 of 28 Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 AM
brent_m
2007 WK 

I don't think I would replace anything else. You have a diagnosis and verified it on a camera. Your heater core is plugged.

It sounds like backflushing it fixes it for a while, but it returns. I bet if you ran your coolant through a coffee filter, you'd see the issue. The big question is why isn't it clean now?

post #14 of 28 Old 03-08-2020, 12:56 PM
wvucampjeep

2007 WK 

Do you think it was flushed both ways? Some mechanics just do the one-way flush which tends to push whatever it in there up against an already clogged heater core. Sometimes reversing the flow can push out the extra crud causing the clog.
post #15 of 28 Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
EduardoV24
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvucampjeep View Post
Do you think it was flushed both ways? Some mechanics just do the one-way flush which tends to push whatever it in there up against an already clogged heater core. Sometimes reversing the flow can push out the extra crud causing the clog.
Yes the mechanic who inspected my cooling system and said it was never replaced said he flushed it both ways. Said it worked, but after a short drive he came back and said it clogged back up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in