Factory Rear Camera Replacement (and new stereo) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-23-2020, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Factory Rear Camera Replacement (and new stereo)

Well, I'd been overdue for a remodel in my Jeep. Wanting more integration with my phone, and caring less and less about CDs or MP3s, I decided to upgrade my deck.

I went with the following parts:

Sony XAV-AX5000

PAC RP4-CH11 - steering wheel control module

It works really well, except the rear-camera. The resolution on the factory camera is just a little strange. And frankly, the image quality is pretty poor by today's standards.

Has anyone replaced the factory camera with an aftermarket camera and retained the factory look? I'd be nice to flip to the rear video when the car is in drive, which is impossible with the factory camera. It only outputs signal when in R.

Attached Thumbnails
sony.jpg  

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2020, 10:17 PM
sc32valve

Have you followed the thread where we covered a bunch of this stuff? The quality of the stock backup cam in my aftermarket deck really isn't that bad.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...radio-4395807/

EDIT:
I actually posted a video of my backup cam and a few other things. Think the 2nd is the backup cam. Fills the screen perfectly and is no worse off then the stock deck in my opinion. Just make sure whatever harness you used is properly grounded or you'll get a tune of interference and weirdness.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A0D...giO26QfvG/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mJ...bCeGom55X/view
post #3 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc32valve View Post
Have you followed the thread where we covered a bunch of this stuff? The quality of the stock backup cam in my aftermarket deck really isn't that bad.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mJ...bCeGom55X/view

Yeah, the quality looks the same as mine. I swear it looked better on my XAV-701HD. I'm half tempted to fire it up and test it to see what the difference is.

It looks to me like it's cropping top of the video.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 AM
sc32valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
Yeah, the quality looks the same as mine. I swear it looked better on my XAV-701HD. I'm half tempted to fire it up and test it to see what the difference is.

It looks to me like it's cropping top of the video.
Nope, no cropping that I can see. Looks exactly like the stock one did. I should've taken some before and after photos. Definitely check out that thread. I laid out everything you need and all the new features you can gain. The new gauges are totally worth it alone.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Quote:
Nope, no cropping that I can see. Looks exactly like the stock one did. I should've taken some before and after photos. Definitely check out that thread. I laid out everything you need and all the new features you can gain. The new gauges are totally worth it alone.
I have a 12V power supply. I can just bring up my old unit with an RCA extension cable and compare the two.

It's a fisheye lens. You probably wouldn't notice the missing real estate. I've looked at the same view for over 7 years in the same spot in my garage as I back out. I feel like my new deck is cropping the image.

I'll bring up my old deck with an RCA extension cable in a few days and do a side-by-side. I'd do it sooner but I have my wife's car torn apart in preparation for the same audio system (and sound deadening above the headliner). Not a jeep.

Thanks for the thread. I'll take a peek at it. My system is already installed, and I already have everything working. So I appreciate the input. I just feel like the image is being cropped and I'm not seeing all the data I'm accustomed to seeing.

post #6 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 PM
sc32valve

Quote:
I have a 12V power supply. I can just bring up my old unit with an RCA extension cable and compare the two.

It's a fisheye lens. You probably wouldn't notice the missing real estate. I've looked at the same view for over 7 years in the same spot in my garage as I back out. I feel like my new deck is cropping the image.

I'll bring up my old deck with an RCA extension cable in a few days and do a side-by-side. I'd do it sooner but I have my wife's car torn apart in preparation for the same audio system (and sound deadening above the headliner). Not a jeep.

Thanks for the thread. I'll take a peek at it. My system is already installed, and I already have everything working. So I appreciate the input. I just feel like the image is being cropped and I'm not seeing all the data I'm accustomed to seeing.
Got it. Yea, I don't look at the extremes so I probably wouldn't notice.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 AM
dj_hp
2008 WK 

Quote:
The resolution on the factory camera is just a little strange. And frankly, the image quality is pretty poor by today's standards.
The quality of the WK backup cams were horribly poor, even in 2005's standards.. Those $25 plate backup cams had better quality lol
post #8 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 PM
sc32valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_hp View Post
The quality of the WK backup cams were horribly poor, even in 2005's standards.. Those $25 plate backup cams had better quality lol
Yea, make sense, but in all honesty I want to know if I'm about to hit a pole or small child not watching a movie, so it doesn't really bother me. Not enough to run the wire, power, and have it mounted someplace not integrated.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-29-2020, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Quote:
Yea, make sense, but in all honesty I want to know if I'm about to hit a pole or small child not watching a movie, so it doesn't really bother me. Not enough to run the wire, power, and have it mounted someplace not integrated.
Yeah, from a safety perspective, the camera is functional.

From a quality perspective, it stinks. I just installed an aftermarket camera in the wife's car and the quality difference is striking. Granted, it could be CMOS vs CCD sensor differences. But there's definitely more information in the new camera.

To answer my own question, it looks like if you have a factory backup camera. And you want to replace it with an aftermarket, you could remove it and leave a gaping hole in your rear handle trim. Or buy a new trim piece that matches your trim level and does not have the factory backup camera installed. At which point you could drill for an aftermarket camera. I don't care for the license plate cameras. You can get a factory look with an aftermarket camera.

That rear handle trim piece could be part number 55156354AG

post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Upon closer inspection of the parts and assembly, I believe there are two options.

1. Use the existing housing and try to find a camera that will match lenses. Or hollow out the existing factory camera (separate part from the housing) and "pot" a new camera in its place. I have a RunCam in a bin I'm considering this on. It'd have to be potted in epoxy to weatherproof.

2. Design and print a cover on a 3D printer, then drill a hole for the camera.

Search google for part 05026338 AA or 82211346 to view the camera housing and guts.

Looks like there are 4 wires coming off the camera. http://www.wkjeeps.com/nav/park_view_03.jpg - wiring diagram.

They're not doing anything proprietary back there with the camera. I may just have to get out my trim sticks and take a peep at the camera. If it's sealed or not, and if the waterproof lens is integrated into the housing.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-30-2020, 05:57 PM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I followed this guide

https://www.cherokeesrt8.com/threads...pgrade.191882/

I ended up not needing the 3d printed spacer but did seal up the gaps with black silicone. The camera still coukd be better. But this was a nice upgrade.

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
post #12 of 14 Old 05-31-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptorino68 View Post
I followed this guide

https://www.cherokeesrt8.com/threads...pgrade.191882/

I ended up not needing the 3d printed spacer but did seal up the gaps with black silicone. The camera still coukd be better. But this was a nice upgrade.
That's just what I needed, thank you very much!

I picked up a camera off eBay so I can salvage the housing. The JST connector for the camera looks familiar, but I'm sure I'd never be so lucky to have pins line up with some of my FPV cameras.

I guess if we're just going to print spacers, I may as well just get a camera that will fit in there. The only other modification I'd like to make is to keep the camera powered full-time.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2020, 05:57 PM
sc32valve

Some definitely great ideas going on here. I just feel like it's more work than its worth for a clearer image. It's still good enough to make sure I don't hit anything. I do wish that the BCM didn't cut power to it when the car wasn't in reverse.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
brent_m
2007 WK 

Quote:
Some definitely great ideas going on here. I just feel like it's more work than its worth for a clearer image. It's still good enough to make sure I don't hit anything. I do wish that the BCM didn't cut power to it when the car wasn't in reverse.
I agree it is more work than it's worth. That's what makes it fun

I don't see a nearby 12V ignition-switched power source to swap wire #6 on diagram http://www.wkjeeps.com/nav/park_view_03.jpg - Convenience outlet location in the rear is on battery.

It'd be nice to find a plug and play camera for that location. Or perhaps a custom cable that we could use to connect an aftermarket camera to the factory harness. Although I really do not have good luck with JST crimps. I prefer AMP. But usually, if you have the right JST tool, you can reorder the existing crimps if the connectors are the same size. Those tiny crimps inside the camera housing are really designed for high-speed machine crimping, not hand tools.

It's clear that whatever the solution, there will be a gap to cover. I do have a 3D printer and software; I'll order some black ABS filament.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in