Exhaust tick? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’ve been dealing with this ticking since I got the Jeep about a year ago. It’s an 08 with the updated 4.7. I believe it’s exhaust related, and coming from the driver side. It only occurs under load. It doesn’t make the noise while idling, and it can’t be reproduced while revving it in park. The noise isn’t noticeable at steady cruising speeds either. I’m only getting it when accelerating, and it doesn’t change as the Jeep warms up.

I had been assuming it was an exhaust manifold gasket leak, but my experience with those, is they quiet down after the car reaches operating temperature. The down pipes were just removed and reinstalled when the transmission was recently rebuilt. They seem to be tight to the manifolds.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s EGR related, since it’s only under load. Recently I had the intake manifold off, and I removed and cleaned the EGR valve and replaced all the gaskets relevant to it. All 16 plugs were recently done and I checked that they were all tight. OBD monitoring doesn’t show any fuel trim issues or codes.

The girlfriends 06 JGC with the 4.7 had the manifold gasket leak. It was ticking pretty bad but was noticeable at idle too. I sucked some seafoam into the intake on that jeep and the leak was very obvious as smoke from the burning seafoam came out of the manifold area. I tried the same with mine, and no noticeable smoke is escaping other than the tailpipe. I’m debating unplugging the EGR and seeing if anything changes.

Edit: I’m currently running a Hemifever tune with a Diablosport. While sending logs to the tuner, there was no knock noted, so I don’t think it’s pinging. It also runs great.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’ve been monitoring the EGR valve a bit while driving around using the torque app. The ticking doesn’t appear to be relevant to the EGR valve opening itself so I’m guessing it’s probably a manifold gasket leak, or a manifold to down pipe leak.

The flagged nuts on the manifold to down pipe seem to have been replaced with regular bolts/nuts when the transmission was done. I’m guessing those original nuts/bolts were rusted and couldn’t be reused. That’s making it difficult for me to tighten them any further on my own. Going to have to get some help, or try to find the original nuts/bolts and swap them.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 10:29 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Have you tried running a tank of premium to Prove out a ping or knock sensor issue? Only because it sure sounds like it

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

post #4 of 5 Old 11-23-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
Have you tried running a tank of premium to Prove out a ping or knock sensor issue? Only because it sure sounds like it
Yeah. Before I got the tune done, I ran a tank of 93 over the summer. I then ran a tank of 15 gallons 93 with 5-6 gallons of e85 to further bump up the octane. Doesn’t appear to be a ping/knock.

While I was refreshing the Jeep over spring/summer, I did new fuel pump, had injectors professionally cleaned, swapped all 16 plugs, 8 coils, and 8 wires. I did intake gaskets and pulled/cleaned the EGR and replaced those 3 gaskets as well. All 4 O2 sensors were done, crank and cam sensors. I’m forgetting stuff but pretty much everything engine performance related was done, including some pretty thorough decarboning.

It seems to be much more noticeable on the driver side which is why I was thinking EGR maybe. It definitely sounds like an exhaust tick, but I don’t see any evidence of a leak. You can’t hear it at all with the windows closed. It’s much more noticeable when driving past buildings or even curbs, which also has me thinking exhaust leak. I was planning on waiting till spring to attack the manifolds, but it’s driving me crazy. I’m also not as excited about this job as there don’t appear to be any shorty (or any) headers available for this engine, and it’s going to be a bit of a nightmare most likely due to rusty bolts.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 11:59 AM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Here’s an old post that was resurrected recently. Maybe some of this fits your symptoms. post 23 is interesting https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/en...2#post-1188205

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in