Exhaust in engine bay 08 wk crd - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrassmid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
carverad17

Exhaust in engine bay 08 wk crd

First some background. I recently had a new turbo installed as the last one died on me. I got it back from the shop last week. At first it drove fine.

Yesterday after a short trip to drop off 2 kids at daycare and one at camp (maybe 20mins total) exhaust started coming out from under the hood. Specifically up through the driver's side by fender. By the time I got pulled over it had stopped. The rest of the day was fine and I did a lot of driving around the city. There was sometimes a faint exhaust smell but nothing like earlier.

This morning same deal only this time when it started to smoke I was right by the garage that installed my Turbo. I pulled in and had them have a look at it while it was still smoking. The exhaust was clearly coming from the back of the engine and I through the driver side fender like the day before. As we were watching this happen the engine sounded a little rougher than normal. Then as if someone flipped the switch the engine calmed down and the exhaust leak stopped. The guys at the garage were at a loss for ideas so I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 10:02 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Did they pull any stored codes. Sometimes there are codes that don't trip a CEL.

Also, I would pull the plastic cover and BOTH foam sound deadeners off the injectors and check for the black-good of the injector seal's death.

Check and make sure the ERG system is hooked up correctly. If the valve opens to engage and its not hooked up it would pump exhaust into the engine bay when the computer would trigger the EGR to be on. The valve is in the back side of the right head and hooks into the y-pipe for the exhaust.
underscore likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
carverad17

The exhaust did seem to be coming from behind and under the EGR valve. I can't see back there to visually check the connection and I just got home so it is too hot to touch but I suspect that is the issue.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-29-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
carverad17

Hi again, I am still having this issue and am bewildered. The EGR seems to be hooked up correctly and the exhaust/smoke only happens once or twice a week. I will be driving normally and a burt exhaust smell will appear followed by exhaust/smoke coming from behind the engine. It almost seems like pressure is building up somewhere and then getting released. I'm confused as ****.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2019, 10:40 PM
SteveROntario

Are you sure it isn't oil burning off of something?

I do a turbo pipe inspection from beneath the vehicle at the beginning of this video so it may help you for comparison. Please subscribe to my channel if you find it useful. I have a bunch of other Jeep WK videos too.

I'm also curious as to how you knew your turbo was worn out. Mine seems to have quite a bit of wear but no codes or issues so far.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
carverad17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
Are you sure it isn't oil burning off of something?

I do a turbo pipe inspection from beneath the vehicle at the beginning of this video so it may help you for comparison. Please subscribe to my channel if you find it useful. I have a bunch of other Jeep WK videos too.

I'm also curious as to how you knew your turbo was worn out. Mine seems to have quite a bit of wear but no codes or issues so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlGc0bvTH7A
Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

As far as the turbo goes, it started going into limp mode. I took it to the local shop and they didnt really know what it was. Then a week or so later it started bucking when driving and the garage said it must be a wastegate issue. I took it to another place that deals with mercedes and they said the same thing. I learned later that there is no wastegate so it might just have been the actuator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in