ESP (electronic stability protection) observations on snow/ice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
suzieque
2008 WK 

ESP (electronic stability protection) observations on snow/ice

I had to run some errands today, so I took a few minutes to do some high(er) than normal snow/ice cornering in my CRD WK.
I find the Electronic Stability Protection (ESP) basically shuts down ALL throttling of the wheels when sliding around a corner, even if I have the gas pedal to the floor! I was quite shocked by this.
By partially disabling ESP (press the button once), I was able to use the throttle and the ESP only kicked in at a bare minimum.
When I fully disable ESP (stop the vehicle and press and hold the ESP button), the vehicle will go full throttle when I press the gas to the floor, but it also goes completely sideways, which was pretty fun.

So the optimium, in my opinion, is to partially disable ESP when cornering on snow/ice.

Now, I've read info on this forum that fully disabling ESP damages the transfer case clutches.

Thought I'd share my experience in case others have had a different experience/recommendation.

more info on ESP here--> http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_esp.htm

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 PM
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I had to run some errands today, so I took a few minutes to do some high(er) than normal snow/ice cornering in my CRD WK.
I find the Electronic Stability Protection (ESP) basically shuts down ALL throttling of the wheels when sliding around a corner, even if I have the gas pedal to the floor! I was quite shocked by this.
By partially disabling ESP (press the button once), I was able to use the throttle and the ESP only kicked in at a bare minimum.
When I fully disable ESP (stop the vehicle and press and hold the ESP button), the vehicle will go full throttle when I press the gas to the floor, but it also goes completely sideways, which was pretty fun.

So the optimium, in my opinion, is to partially disable ESP when cornering on snow/ice.

Now, I've read info on this forum that fully disabling ESP damages the transfer case clutches.

Thought I'd share my experience in case others have had a different experience/recommendation.

more info on ESP here--> http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_esp.htm
According to that website, you can't fully disable the ESP unless you go into 4x4 Lo (or remove the fuse).
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2015, 05:54 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

I have done the partial disable for sand/beach driving and have not had a problem with the transfer case.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
suzieque
2008 WK 

thanks LouC, good to know.

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2015, 07:49 PM
ruggedscotsman
2007 WK 

Not sure about partial/full disable...hit the button once and it lights up the dash symbol. Hold it down for 5 seconds and it beeps, lights up the dash symbol, and flashes esp off in the VIC.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-28-2015, 06:34 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

My understanding is that if you do the full disable for off road driving when you drive faster than a certain speed it turns itself back on...thinking back I was doing the full disable..in sand you do not want any electronic nanny interfering with your driving....

post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2015, 11:19 AM
esoxhntr
2008 WK 

i noticed the ESP pretty much neuters the truck on snow and ice but it does feel like it's next to impossible to spin. pretty good safety feature IMO (and Im amazed to what degree it works) as it's my wife who usually drives the truck in the winter. i'll have to see to what degree i can disable it for some snow flogging.

'97 XJ. 4.0. *sold*
'01 WJ. 4.7. *sold*
'08 WK CRD. *trade*
'17 Colorado 2.8 Diesel. CFT v4.0
post #8 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Montreal300

1999 WJ 

It can be fully disabled ESP by temporarily disconnecting the accelerometer under the console but you also loose ABS. I have a switch to defeat the system but to enable it again the vehicle has to be stopped and restarted.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 10:11 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

Since I've had the WK I have used studded snow tires each winter. I have found that between the QDII system and the studded tires the traction is so good that the ESP has only engaged a few times in winter driving. I have turned it off (full) and driven in the wet with standard all terrain tires and it does not engage, again probably because the QDII system has great constant traction.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2016, 02:46 AM
Zonzi
2006 WK 

I believe there is something wrong with my WK 06 QTII after all great reviews how it should handle in winter. Driving is fun and fine but stopping is an issue.

I feel that on iced or loose surface ABS is just letting brakes go all the time and Jeep just slides, even when going slow. It's years behind Rx300 in that area. Should I turn ESP off then ? Check anything?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in