Engine oil cooler? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
MrW88

Engine oil cooler?

Trying to figure out if I have an engine oil cooler. It’s an 05 wk 5.7. I have a minor oil leak with some sweating on a tube going into what looks like a unit mounted on the radiator fan. Does anyone know if this would be an engine oil cooler? And if so can anyone direct me to a part number for the 2 tubes going to it? Here’s a video for reference

https://flic.kr/p/2kTY6Re

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Vertisce21

Usually, you have the AC radiator in front of the normal radiator. If you have a WK with a tow package then you might also have the transmission fluid radiator in front of all of that. It would be a long little radiator although it seems like each model year does them a little differently so it might be shaped different. What I do know is that the hoses coming off of it will be rubber and not hard lines like on the AC cooler.

Also...your video won't load for me.

EDIT: I might have it backwards. Regardless of whether it's the little one in front of the radiator or the larger one, it's one of those. One is the AC Condenser and the other is the Transmission Cooler.

Last edited by Vertisce21; 04-20-2021 at 01:30 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Usually, you have the AC radiator in front of the normal radiator. If you have a WK with a tow package then you might also have the transmission fluid radiator in front of all of that. It would be a long little radiator although it seems like each model year does them a little differently so it might be shaped different. What I do know is that the hoses coming off of it will be rubber and not hard lines like on the AC cooler.

Also...your video won't load for me.

EDIT: I might have it backwards. Regardless of whether it's the little one in front of the radiator or the larger one, it's one of those. One is the AC Condenser and the other is the Transmission Cooler.
Thanks man. Sorry the video didn’t work. I think it might work now as it wasn’t marked as public before. Try it again if you don’t mind.

The two lines go into something that looks quite different than ac condenser or transmission cooler radiators. The trans cooler lines are on the right side of the motor, but the line that’s leaking connects to the motor on the left side. Also the leaky line goes into a something mounted behind the fan whereas the ac condenser and trans cooler are mounted in front of the rad.

Hopefully the video works this time. Kind of shows everything.

Last edited by MrW88; 04-20-2021 at 07:53 PM.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

post #5 of 17 Old 04-20-2021, 11:27 PM
GRAND420

It's the power steering cooler.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND420 View Post
It's the power steering cooler.
Amazing thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 11:11 AM
Vertisce21

There's a power steering cooler?

...why?

I also have nothing in my Haynes manual about a power steering cooler.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
There's a power steering cooler?

...why?

I also have nothing in my Haynes manual about a power steering cooler.
I also have to admit I’m not 100% certain this is what my issue is. Having a hard time finding aftermarket lines that look like my line that is leaking. It’s a big hose and all replacement lines for the power steering cooler I’m seeing online are much thinner
post #9 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Adding some more pics. Whatever it is it is mounted on the radiator fan. There’s two lines going into/out of it. One coming from the topish of the motor on the driver side and one coming from the bottomish of the motor also on the left side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192884.../shares/m8e1W7
post #10 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Ever since photobucket screwed everyone I have no good way of adding photos on forums. Sorry. Here’s another im attaching. Otherwise hopefully the flicker link above works
Attached Thumbnails
807AD1DE-FD6F-4AD6-A1A8-53F9F5871D21_1619040753081.jpg  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-21-2021, 07:47 PM
GRAND420

I believe that line runs to the power steering pump or the steering rack. The fan is powered by the power steering pump because it's a hydraulic fan. Ironically that line on my Jeep looks the same way and I've just never fixed it because it doesn't drip on the ground lol
post #12 of 17 Old 04-29-2021, 06:58 PM
caroedell
2005 WK 

If the pressure line going to the HEC (hydraulic engine cooler) is leaking, it may be a sign that the HEC is going bad. Possibly someone added normal power steering fluid and not the proper Mopar Electronic Power steering fluid. This can cause the HEC to go bad, with the first sign being the leak at the input pressure line connection. Changing the o-ring will not fix it.
When your engine is full temperature, does your power steering struggle at low speeds? that is another sign of the HEC going bad.
I had to replace mine last January. Due to cost I converted to electric. A new HEC will cost $1500.00 or higher.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-30-2021, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND420 View Post
I believe that line runs to the power steering pump or the steering rack. The fan is powered by the power steering pump because it's a hydraulic fan. Ironically that line on my Jeep looks the same way and I've just never fixed it because it doesn't drip on the ground lol
I appreciate the help! That definitely seems to be it. I wiped the line down with a rag and the slow drip hasn’t come back. I’ll just watch it for now
post #14 of 17 Old 04-30-2021, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroedell View Post
If the pressure line going to the HEC (hydraulic engine cooler) is leaking, it may be a sign that the HEC is going bad. Possibly someone added normal power steering fluid and not the proper Mopar Electronic Power steering fluid. This can cause the HEC to go bad, with the first sign being the leak at the input pressure line connection. Changing the o-ring will not fix it.
When your engine is full temperature, does your power steering struggle at low speeds? that is another sign of the HEC going bad.
I had to replace mine last January. Due to cost I converted to electric. A new HEC will cost $1500.00 or higher.
Damn $1500. If that is indeed my issue, is replacing with a scrap yard unit a feasible option?
My WK only has 150k kms on it but I don’t see myself spending $1500 on this 16 year old girl.
How complicated and expensive was the electric power steering conversion?
I don’t have any issues with the power steering. I do have 18 inch wheels and 32 inch tires off a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on the Jeep tho. Hope that won’t contribute to the HEC failure.
I’m the second owner and the first owner was a Toyota mechanic…totally possible they put Toyota grade power steering in it. Will a power steering flush help the issue?
post #15 of 17 Old 05-02-2021, 02:01 PM
SKALA308
2010 WK 

MrW88, that is the high pressure power steer pipe from the power steer pump. And the cooler is the power steer cooler. The WK 5.7 and 3.0 diesel use an hydraulic engine cooling fan that is powered by the power steering system. And note, only use the special hydraulic oil, not ATF and not the electric fan fluid.

2010 WK 5.7 Eagle Head hemi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in