Dual battery setup? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Dual battery setup?

Been looking around for ideas on where to put a second battery for a dual battery setup. I know there is some space in the rear passenger side of the engine bay but that would preclude installing a snorkel if I am not mistaken and that is still currently a plan for me. Are there any other locations in which people have installed a second battery? I was actually considering rigging up a tray to place UNDER the Jeep somewhere as there is lots of room both front and rear for that kind of thing...maybe even have two extra batteries...has anybody tried this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
A couple guys have mounted them in battery boxes under the vehicle, and others have made a removable battery box that they connect inside the vehicle.

I considered doing a second battery a while ago but never bothered, but the removable box inside the vehicle would probably be the route I took

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 07:46 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Others have placed them mainly in the rear driver side, behind the rear wheel in the bumper area. I have a spare tire carrier so I have planned to put mine where the spare used to be.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

post #4 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
Others have placed them mainly in the rear driver side, behind the rear wheel in the bumper area. I have a spare tire carrier so I have planned to put mine where the spare used to be.
This is exactly what I was thinking too. Seems like a good place for it and almost seems like I might be able to get two of them up in there. Do you know of any write ups that anybody has done? That's what I have been looking for but the search function on this site is less than...useable.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 PM
the_ha
2006 WK 

i was researching this myself awhile ago and found a guy who put two yellow tops in the engine compartment. this forum wont let me post links so just google - " Dual Batteries Installed in Engine Bay - Optima Yellow Tops "
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 07:48 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking too. Seems like a good place for it and almost seems like I might be able to get two of them up in there. Do you know of any write ups that anybody has done? That's what I have been looking for but the search function on this site is less than...useable.
I think .Tuco was one of them. I'll see if I can find a link.

post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerwithhands View Post
I think .Tuco was one of them. I'll see if I can find a link.
A link would be life saving for me right now. Thanks!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ha View Post
i was researching this myself awhile ago and found a guy who put two yellow tops in the engine compartment. this forum wont let me post links so just google - " Dual Batteries Installed in Engine Bay - Optima Yellow Tops "
I found the site and writeup you are talking about. Done in a Jeep Commander. This is actually my backup plan but doing this prevents me from being able to install a snorkel. Still debating on if I want or even need a snorkel so this may still be the way to go for me but looking for alternatives.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-2021, 05:31 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Here is a thread. @Tango. was the one I liked best. I can't find his specific thread which sucks because it had pics and better detail. Images are probably null at this point anyway.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/d...56186/%3famp=1

post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Tango.

What I did for dual battery was I hooked up a piranha DEE140SF relay that would connect the batteries after the Jeep had started. Then I hooked up (2) 150 amp breakers , one at each end of the battery cable going from the relay in the engine bay to the battery that I put in the rear driver side quart panel behind the rear tire. I used one of those steel optima battery cages from Jegs to hold the battery to the frame rail

This worked even when totally submerged.

Then I ran (with a 3rd 150 amp breaker to a marine fuse box in the rear cargo area and ran ALL my aux gear off the aux battery. ARB Fridge, Lights, Inverter radios etc.

My diesel is now sold.. and I really wish they still put that MB engine in the Jeeps. Best Jeep engine ever.
I used a deep cell optima for the aux battery, but you can get a cheep battery at walmart (automotive battery with warentee) and kill it cycling it and they are easy to replace in the jegs cage.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #11 of 12 Old 06-17-2021, 05:33 PM
Tango.

these are the pics I think?

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
battery-10.jpg  
Attached Images

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #12 of 12 Old 06-17-2021, 05:47 PM
Tango.

This is a picture of it..
Attached Images

Life is hard-John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in