Dual Battery - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
MrJimBeam
2006 WK 

Dual Battery

Hi All

Does anyone have experience with a second battery (AUX battery)?

MrJimbeam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Tango.

There are a few jeeps that did this.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #3 of 48 Old 02-19-2017, 02:00 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Is this really the only WK Dual battery setup thread? I will add a couple ideas here, please feel free to direct me to another thread. I did check omelet's and did not see a second battery setup, just replacement of Optima Yellow top with Odyssey.

As a bit of additional info I am building an expo rig, and will a house battery to safely run electrics without compromising starter battery. I have the 3.0 CRD.

I am looking at getting a deep cycle Yellow top and probably mounting in the trunk. I have picked p a ProisoCharge Marine grade alternator Power Distribution System (PDS) that is supposed to e pretty high quality. My only concern is whether or not I need to run an AGM, or staged DC to DC battery charger between the alternator (ProisoCharge) and the house battery.

I have heard that newer vehicles (mine is 2007) have alternators connected to the ECU which limits or controls voltage regulator output based on a complex set of information. I don't really want to start contradicting or messing with things set up by Mercedes engineers, even though my PDS has a terminal to attach a smart alternator lead to.

Thing is if I need a DC to DC charger for house battery, I might as well just get a CTEK Dual, is what I am thinking. Any helpful
input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
352783-35804.jpg  

post #4 of 48 Old 02-19-2017, 03:43 PM
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

found quite a bit of info with this search
https://www.google.com/search?q=WK+D...hrome&ie=UTF-8
post #5 of 48 Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Tango.

I would not put it inside the cab.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #6 of 48 Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavallinoRed View Post
found quite a bit of info with this search
https://www.google.com/search?q=WK+D...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Thanks a lot, looks like some good info. Have been reading Sprinter and 300c forums today for info.
post #7 of 48 Old 02-19-2017, 07:48 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Thanks. How did you wire up your isolator? I confirmed today with a Chrysler CRD mechanic that these vehicles use voltage regulator controlled through the ECU. Looking at the wiring today I see the positive splits to one of the electrical boxes next to the battery, and to the batter itself. Wondering where you wired in your isolator. Any photo appreciated.

I like the battery tray placement there. Will have to look into that. Any problem with voltage drop from the isolator? Are you using an AGM DC to DC charger?

Thanks again, great help.

I put a Blue optima in the 1/4 panel. The isolator in the front has a delay so when the jeep starts it starts on the main battery only.

All the auxiliary stuff is wired to the auxiliary battery.

It's behind this 1/4 panel.

Jegs sells some optima battery mounts for race cars, and I used one of those to mount it to the frame rail.
post #8 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 AM
Tango.

With the complicated voltage issue and the PCM I found a company from AU that was on ebay called piranha offroad which made isolators specifically for this issue. There are a bunch of companies that make them for this voltage issue, or if you are electrical savvy you can make your own. I went with one of those since I found one at a really good price.

Mounted the isolator to the quarter panel rear of the main battery and next to the 2nd fuse box. Since it's a long run to the rear battery I put a 150 amp breaker on each end. Bought a used huge battery cable from our local marine salvage yard and used that to connect them.

It works great. I run all my offroad lights, ARB fridge and a bunch of other stuff off of it. Plus it has the dual battery setup for winching.

Had it for years now without issues.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #9 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Tango, I like that setup. I might steal it, except maybe on the passenger side strictly for weight distribution purposes.
post #10 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM
omsok

2007 WK 

Powering the Piranha

Tango: So you are powering the Piranha (DBE 140 DBE 180?) direct from the positive terminal of the main battery? In this way the ECU and the alternator just see it as extra load and manage the alternator output accordingly?

Any photos of your isolator wiring setup would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango. View Post
With the complicated voltage issue and the PCM I found a company from AU that was on ebay called piranha offroad which made isolators specifically for this issue. There are a bunch of companies that make them for this voltage issue, or if you are electrical savvy you can make your own. I went with one of those since I found one at a really good price.

Mounted the isolator to the quarter panel rear of the main battery and next to the 2nd fuse box. Since it's a long run to the rear battery I put a 150 amp breaker on each end. Bought a used huge battery cable from our local marine salvage yard and used that to connect them.

It works great. I run all my offroad lights, ARB fridge and a bunch of other stuff off of it. Plus it has the dual battery setup for winching.

Had it for years now without issues.
post #11 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Tango.

Correct, pretty simple.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #12 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Tango.

also .. if you need to jump the main battery you can just jump the isolator. This can be installed with a marine on off switch jumping the isolator terminals.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #13 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Hemicuda61

Tango, does this setup require a higher output alternator? How is the second battery getting charged? Also, if the main battery is low, does this DBE140 have the intelligence to switch to the auxiliary battery to start the Jeep?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Tango.

This setup uses the OEM alternator, no alternator modification.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #15 of 48 Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Hemicuda61

Tango, when you say "MANUALLY jump the isolator" do you mean the setup comes with a beefy switch to flip to the aux battery, or you mean to take jumper cable literally and jump the isolator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in