DTC U0114 Help needed Please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
commander1

DTC U0114 Help needed Please

I have DTC U0114 "Lost communication with Final Drive Control Module". Can someone tell me what this means? I have checked What i believe is the fuse for the FDCM and it is OK. The result has the ESP,BAS and the Traction Control lights on continuously. The dealer charged me an hours worth of labor to tell me maybe its the" transfer case control module". To be honest they seemed clueless. Not to mention I had an oil change done there and now something is leaking from the front of my jeep....Please please help...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 02:51 PM
robpp

2007 service manual - Nag 1 transmission.

U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives information from the Engine, Anti-lock Brake System, and the Electronic Gear Shift control modules over the CAN C bus. The CAN C bus is a high speed communication bus that allows real time control capability between various controllers. Most messages are sent every 20 mSec, this means critical information can be shared between multiple controllers almost instantaneously. The CAN C bus is a two wire bus with a CAN (+) and a CAN (-) circuit. To reduce the potential of radio and other electrical noise interference, the CAN Bus circuit wiring is manufactured using a twisted pair configuration within the electrical wiring harness.

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on.

Set Condition:
The DTC will set if a valid CAN ID was not received in the required time from the Final Drive control module.

Possible Causes

TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK THE FCM FOR CAN C BUS COMMUNICATION DTCS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the scan tool, check for FCM DTCs.

Does the FCM report the DTC U0001-CAN C BUS DTC or U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE?

Yes

(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING) category and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform the diagnostic procedure for U0001-CAN C BUS first if it is present.
Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No

Go To 2

2. CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

NOTE: When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects and stores a DTC, the TCM also stores the vehicles operating conditions under which the DTC originally set. This information is located in the scan tool under Environmental Data. Before erasing any stored DTCs, record any available data to assist in duplicating the conditions in which the DTC originally set.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, erase Transmission DTC's.
Using the Environmental Data recorded earlier, try to duplicate the conditions in which the DTC originally set. It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle.
With the scan tool, read Transmission DTC's.

Did the DTC U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE reset?

Yes

Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the TCM per the Service Information. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE - REMOVAL)
Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No

Go To 3

3. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for any possible open or shorted circuits.
Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test Complete.

Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
post #3 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
commander1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
2007 service manual - Nag 1 transmission.

U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) receives information from the Engine, Anti-lock Brake System, and the Electronic Gear Shift control modules over the CAN C bus. The CAN C bus is a high speed communication bus that allows real time control capability between various controllers. Most messages are sent every 20 mSec, this means critical information can be shared between multiple controllers almost instantaneously. The CAN C bus is a two wire bus with a CAN (+) and a CAN (-) circuit. To reduce the potential of radio and other electrical noise interference, the CAN Bus circuit wiring is manufactured using a twisted pair configuration within the electrical wiring harness.

When Monitored:
Continuously with the ignition on.

Set Condition:
The DTC will set if a valid CAN ID was not received in the required time from the Final Drive control module.

Possible Causes

TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - NAG1 - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK THE FCM FOR CAN C BUS COMMUNICATION DTCS

With the scan tool, check for FCM DTCs.

Does the FCM report the DTC U0001-CAN C BUS DTC or U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE?

Yes

(Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING) category and perform the appropriate symptom. Perform the diagnostic procedure for U0001-CAN C BUS first if it is present.

No

Go To 2

2. CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT

NOTE: When the Transmission Control Module (TCM) detects and stores a DTC, the TCM also stores the vehicles operating conditions under which the DTC originally set. This information is located in the scan tool under Environmental Data. Before erasing any stored DTCs, record any available data to assist in duplicating the conditions in which the DTC originally set.

Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, erase Transmission DTC's.
Using the Environmental Data recorded earlier, try to duplicate the conditions in which the DTC originally set. It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle.
With the scan tool, read Transmission DTC's.

Did the DTC U0114-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH FINAL DRIVE CONTROL MODULE reset?

Yes

Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the TCM per the Service Information. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE - REMOVAL)

No

Go To 3

3. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for any possible open or shorted circuits.
Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Test Complete.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.!!
Can you please post the location of the TCM. Maybe even a pic...

post #4 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
robpp

Its not clear, but I think its under the dash.

Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
post #5 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
commander1

Someone mentioned that it may be under the driver's seat...does that look like a possibility from the diagram?
post #6 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
robpp

there is no diagram.

i found this quote on the srt8 board

"Pull down the plastic molding under the steering wheel and reach up behind the center console (as far as you can anyway) and you'll find it under some foam."

the response was thanks.

Best i can do for a picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...spagenameZWDVW

post #7 of 20 Old 01-26-2009, 01:25 AM
merlinTec

Hi
Don’t jump at a TCM rob has quoted from the manual from a TCM recording that code.
Commander can you tell us what commander you have? And as you have been to the dealer did they give you a print out? And what modules recorded this code clearly with the ABS light on then ABS has also recorded this code so are you going to replace the ABS module as well?
If a number of modules have recorded this code and the FDCM is no longer active on the bus the fault will be around the FDCM. The FDCM is under the rear seat TCM if you still want to go there is behind the heater at the bottom just above the transmission tunnel.
Thanks rob for posting that info but it can be misleading.
Regards,
Merlin

UK Chrysler Jeep Master Tec.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
commander1

Back from the dealer. The TCM needs to be replaced.

It will be ready tomorrow...

Thanks to all for their input!!!

Last edited by commander1; 01-26-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Thanks...
post #9 of 20 Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
commander1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Donít jump at a TCM rob has quoted from the manual from a TCM recording that code.
Commander can you tell us what commander you have? And as you have been to the dealer did they give you a print out? And what modules recorded this code clearly with the ABS light on then ABS has also recorded this code so are you going to replace the ABS module as well?
If a number of modules have recorded this code and the FDCM is no longer active on the bus the fault will be around the FDCM. The FDCM is under the rear seat TCM if you still want to go there is behind the heater at the bottom just above the transmission tunnel.
Thanks rob for posting that info but it can be misleading.
Regards,
Merlin

Merlin,

I have an 06 commander 4.7 V8. I have been to 2 dealers;

The first tried to rip me off on the price of the part as well as the labor so I picked up my Jeep and left.

The second is charging less for the part and less for labor. I just hope they are right. After reading your posts I have to wonder.....
post #10 of 20 Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
merlinTec

Hi
So you don't even have a nag 1 transmission so the flow chart above is incorrect so the TCM is part of the PCM under the hood.
Good luck, do let us know if it stays fixed.

post #11 of 20 Old 01-27-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
commander1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
So you don't even have a nag 1 transmission so the flow chart above is incorrect so the TCM is part of the PCM under the hood.
Good luck, do let us know if it stays fixed.

So back from the dealer and all is well...They replaced the FDCM under the rear seat....All lights are off and the esp button functions normally...

Now being that I purchased it used, how can I tell which drive system I have...it is a commander 06 limited...it has the little silver handle near the shifter...how do i know if its quadra track II or quadra drive II...?i do know it is a 4x4
Thanks again
post #12 of 20 Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 AM
merlinTec

Hi
Well done, happier with that just didn’t want the TCM replaced by guessing.
As for your second question go to a part department with your VIN number and have them print you off a build sheet.
Regards,
Merlin

post #13 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
denvaa

FDCM replacement

Is it easy to replace the FDCM? Does this require the dealership to do this or do you think this could be something i could buy and do myself. I am very mechanical.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 AM
r6allstar

So I have the same code and am curious if it is possible to make this fix myself.. Anyone done it?
post #15 of 20 Old 08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvaa View Post
Is it easy to replace the FDCM? Does this require the dealership to do this or do you think this could be something i could buy and do myself. I am very mechanical.
2 bolts remove the rear seat base module just unclips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in