The dreaded Fuel Tank Skid Plate - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

The dreaded Fuel Tank Skid Plate

Long time XJ Owner, bought a WK 2 years ago and have been a lurker on this site. Lots of great info on here. Got the fix for the corroded starter clip that causes no start on here among other things. You guys are awesome. So! I looked uder my jeep the other day cause i saw something hanging. Holy Rust bucket!! My fuel tank skid plate is in really bad shape. I have looked all over online and just cannot find a new one for purchase since Mopar discontinued the part. I did see one on Ebay for about 500 but it seemed to be a different part number. My jeep is the 2005 5.7 Hemi Limited.

I am taking it off tonight. Question on that, is there a way to take that skid plate off without dropping the front of the driveshaft. The three bolts that are above the driveshaft are pretty rust free so I feel good about that.

Here is the option i am going to go I think. Machine shop. I think that is the best bet. I could go to a junkyard but i dont think im going to find any of these that are in much better shape than mine. The previous owner kept this one in a garage the first 10 years of its life. My question is, does anyone know where i can find the specs on this? I am taking the old one to the machine shop and i bet they can go off that since the sides are still there and the brackets are all on it too. Well, all but one bracket. I think it would help the machine shop if i had a spec sheet on the dimensions. I know its a tough ask but throwing it out there!

By the way, i love the upgrade from the Straight six to the HEMI!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
My Skidplate.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
just fyi the skid plate holds the gas tank up. be prepared when you drop the skid.
underscore and Gibbonmonkey like this.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #3 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Yep. that is why i am replacing it. Found that out on this forum!! Thanks for the reminder though. I have it down to less than a quarter tank. How long are the fuel lines? are they long enough that it can sit on ground? i was going to slide something under there to hold it in place for now while its on ramps.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbonmonkey View Post

I am taking it off tonight. Question on that, is there a way to take that skid plate off without dropping the front of the driveshaft. The three bolts that are above the driveshaft are pretty rust free so I feel good about that.
Yes. I used a 1/4 inch socket extension. It provided just enough clearance to leave the drive shaft attached and get the fuel tank skid plate off and attached. You will need a large breaker bar to get the first 1/8 turn off. Plus, of course compact step up and step down adapters.

If you remove the spare tire, that should provide enough room to get most of the connectors off. I emptied my tank to about 3 gallons to make it light and used two hydraulic jacks and a 1/2" x 24"x 40" piece of board to cradle and drop and raise the tank.

For me, the tank and skid plate had to come all the way off and away from the Jeep. Lots of rust on mine and I had to literally pry the plastic tank out of the rusted skid plate. Good idea to replace the fuel pump with another mopar unit while you are there. Do not forget to purchase a new fastening ring and gasket for the fuel pump. The original will be way rusted and will lead to an EVAP code soon if not changed out.

$254

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...hoCYKkQAvD_BwE
Gibbonmonkey likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Yes. I used a 1/4 inch socket extension. It provided just enough clearance to leave the drive shaft attached and get the fuel tank skid plate off and attached. You will need a large breaker bar to get the first 1/8 turn off. Plus, of course compact step up and step down adapters.

If you remove the spare tire, that should provide enough room to get most of the connectors off. I emptied my tank to about 3 gallons to make it light and used two hydraulic jacks and a 1/2" x 24"x 40" piece of board to cradle and drop and raise the tank.

For me, the tank and skid plate had to come all the way off and away from the Jeep. Lots of rust on mine and I had to literally pry the plastic tank out of the rusted skid plate. Good idea to replace the fuel pump with another mopar unit while you are there. Do not forget to purchase a new fastening ring and gasket for the fuel pump. The original will be way rusted and will lead to an EVAP code soon if not changed out.
Not a bad idea on the fuel pump. Prolly will do that. Thoughts on a Bosch fuel pump? I figured i would get the fuel pump and housing, that would probably have the fastening ring so just the gasket then as well to order. Good to know about the driveshaft. did you find a new skid plate somewhere? Or how did you solve the gas tank support issue?
post #6 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:16 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...hoCYKkQAvD_BwE

I would go OEM fuel pump/gasket/fastening ring, if you can find it. Why risk such a key part on after market products.

Unless you have brass, no sparking, hammer and chisel for the fuel pump ring fastener. I would suggest getting a fuel pump fastening ring wrench for about $50. It beats a big explosion with all the vapors.

OTC 6599 Universal Fuel Sender Lock Tool
Gibbonmonkey likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

true. Good call. From past experiences, I know XJ,s dont like non Mopar electrics. Unfortunately, that skid plate has been discontinued and is no longer for sale anywhere.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbonmonkey View Post
true. Good call. From past experiences, I know XJ,s dont like non Mopar electrics. Unfortunately, that skid plate has been discontinued and is no longer for sale anywhere.
I was able to put one of those skid plates, from the link above, in my Cart for purchase.
Gibbonmonkey likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Oh yeah, I got all the way through checkout and my card charged. Only to get an email a few hours later saying they dont have it, its discontinued, and they would be frefunding my card. I was pissed!! So then i started looking for aftermarket and no one makes anything! I spent 2 weeks looking. dead end after dead end.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Is the tank stuck in there from the rust on the bottom of the plate. where the tank bottom contacts the plate itself? if so, i may be good, there is not much bottom to my skid plate and the rest wants to fall at touch. so if its not stuck to the sides of the plate i may be able to leave the tank up. just ratchet strap it while i wait for the new one. Jeep aint goin anywhere.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:50 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Did you try a search with the parts number: 52090270AF

Please confirm that is the right part number. I think it is. Found a plate at Rockauto, Summit Racing, Ebay, and Amazon.

If you get all of your parts together before you start the job, it should take less than four hours for one person, without a professional car lift, to replace the skid plate and fuel pump.
Gibbonmonkey likes this.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Quote:
Did you try a search with the parts number: 52090270AF
Nope. I thought it was part number # 82208714
post #13 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

RCs1300 - you rock!! Moparpartsgiant has that. It looks the same im trying to figure out the difference between the two part numbers
post #14 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Yes, please confirm the part number. I do believe it is correct. Also, price shop. Rockauto would be my favorite unless they do not have the fuel pump, gasket, and lockring in stock.
underscore and Gibbonmonkey like this.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Gibbonmonkey
2005 WK 

Quote:
Yes, please confirm the part number. I do believe it is correct. Also, price shop. Rockauto would be my favorite unless they do not have the fuel pump, gasket, and lockring in stock.
I called the jeep dealership and they said it would fit as well. i may grab the vin number tonight and double check it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in