DPF Delete 2008 Cherokee - suggestions? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fishinbama
  • 1 Post By Zroe89

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
wgilroy

DPF Delete 2008 Cherokee - suggestions?

Getting an Ash buildup code for the DPF. No limp mode yet, but would like to take care of this before that happens.

I see some of the more popular aftermarket DPF delete vendors are shut down due to new EPA regulations.

I can buy the straight thru pipe or possibly have a local shop put something in place, but if I understand things properly, I need either the ECU re-programmed by sending it in, or have a tuner with a pre-programmed tune.

If I buy a tuner, can I tune it myself? Never used one, but I don't mind taking the time to figure it out.

I'd prefer a plug and play solution, but am open to options.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

KISS repair or service the DPF. Why reinvent the wheel?

removing or rendering inoperative emission devices is a FEDERAL regulation. And depending on where you live local inspection testing may be an issue.

Post the codes and we can look at trouble tree and also see if any TSB's apply.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 PM
fishinbama
2007 WK 

I think there are probably still some vendors who will do pcm tuning, especially the ones that are based overseas. I'd find out who they are. I see nothing wrong with removing a dpf. They are designed to lower emissions in primarily urban areas and prevent smog formation. They reduce engine efficiency and fuel economy. This effect is magnified when the dpf is clogged, operating in a marginal capacity. Just because its federal regulation doesn't mean its unethical. If I hadn't modified my Jeep I wouldn't be averaging 28mpg from the 23 it originally got.
wgilroy likes this.

2007 limited crd 2wd, 3.07 ratio, GDE eco tune, dpf delete, tnadanzig resonator delete

post #4 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 04:03 AM
Zroe89

There were tunes available that left the dpf in place but cleaned up the tuning. The factory actually had the motor pig rich with multiple fuel injections to quiet the engine down.
By tuning the engine would have more of the typical diesel clatter but run cleaner (go figure) and not need to Regen the dpf as often.
Unfortunately the one company I am aware of is forbidden to sell their services within America thanks to our oh so helpful EPA. Be sure to thank your local bro-dozer for posting all of their Rollin coal videos and ruining it for the rest of us.

Good luck with the search. Best I could suggest is making a friend in Canada/Mexico who could order the tune to their home address (where the EPA can't stop them) and then drive it over the border to you.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
wgilroy likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
wgilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
KISS repair or service the DPF. Why reinvent the wheel?

removing or rendering inoperative emission devices is a FEDERAL regulation. And depending on where you live local inspection testing may be an issue.

Post the codes and we can look at trouble tree and also see if any TSB's apply.
Really not worried about the federal regulation. We don't have local inspections. Plenty of local diesel enthusiasts delete everything on their rides.

Code is P242F/$07E8 Diesel Particulate Filter Restriction Ash Accumulation.

This popped up after two long road trips with hwy speeds 65 to 75mph.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
wgilroy

Yeah, I'll keep looking for a solution either from Canada or overseas. I'd rather not sink in another 1600.00 minimum for a new DPF.
I like the Jeep itself, but we've had very bad luck with it mechanically. Leaky injectors, water pump, swirl motor issues (thanks to this forum for the resistor bypass), fuel lines and then some. Probably going to sell or trade in soon. Tired of wrenching on it and putting money into it. I suspect the previous owner was somewhat abusive to at based on some of the maintenance I've had to do.

Thanks for the suggestions.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 12:10 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

have you even tried Regeneration procedure?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
wgilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
have you even tried Regeneration procedure?
I couldn't find the regen process in the owners manual or service manual. Can you tell me what it is for a 2008 GC?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2020, 04:43 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zroe89 View Post
By tuning the engine would have more of the typical diesel clatter but run cleaner (go figure) and not need to Regen the dpf as often.

After a tune mine sounds very stereotypically diesely on a really cold morning, but once warmed up it`s not significantly louder than before.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//MALONE 1.5//OMG WTF BBQ
post #10 of 10 Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 AM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
Dealers can force a regen, so can some software like AppCar DiagFCA. But that'll cost you. It should regen on it's own if you drive for a long enough period of time. Are you sure low ash oil is being used?

We have inspections here so I just gutted the DPF, I plan on opening it up again to weld a straight pipe inside it, for better flow. I do have the GDE tune though.

Malone tuning is based in Canada, I believe.

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in