Do I have frozen calipers? Please Help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
AlishaCandela

Do I have frozen calipers? Please Help!

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. On Christmas Eve I noticed the car shaking and squeaking while driving about 20mph. I stopped and noticed the rear passenger tire smelled like burning rubber and there was brake dust all over the rim. Only this tire, all other tires smelt and looked fine. I left it a mechanic Friday and he couldn't get the car to do it or find anything wrong. I left it at a mechanic today with the same result. I drove no more than five miles and again at about 20-30mph I felt the shaking and heard the squeaking. It is not constant squeaking, it goes faster as the car goes faster and slower as I slow down. I went up to about 50mph and then pulled over and the tire smelt again.

I did notice some drag to like the car wasn't speeding up as fast as it normally would. The mechanic suggested I may have left the E brake on, I might be a girl, but come on. I would notice the red BRAKE light and the extreme sluggish acceleration and I don't use the E brake, so NO, lol.

I am leaving for Maine Wednesday and need to make them replace and/or work on something. Any suggestions? Do I have him replace the calipers? pads? rotors? They both said the brakes look fine, but clearly something is not okay with them. Do I bleed the lines? I heard that could cause the brakes to freeze up too? Do I replace the E brake? I am so lost when it comes to mechanics, please help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Zlartibartfast

2007 WK 

seems to me your problem now is re-producing the issue when there is a mechanic to observe. Can you get one of these guys to ride with you?

It won't hurt to bleed the lines - if you haven't yet, do it.

Remember the E-brake is actually a drum brake, mechanically controlled. You still have disc brakes back there that are independent of the E-brake. There can be a problem there that would not show up on your dash light.

If you have dragging brake shoes, then your rotors should be hot from friction. If you're smelling burning rubber (very different from burning brake shoes) then you may have something running against the tire, not the brake surface(s).

It's pretty normal to see a little bit of brake dust building up on your rims - more on the fronts that the rears. It might help to wipe them down before your next drive - even take photos of them clean - see how much accumulation you're getting.

A competent mechanic can test the brake system and determine what part(s) may need replacement or repair. A good mechanic will SHOW you what is up and not just TELL you it's this or that.

I wouldn't make that trip without identifying the problem first....

Tags
brake caliper , jeep grand cherokee , shaking , squeaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in