2Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrassmid
  • 1 Post By Gray203m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Over-land
2007 WK 

DIY CRD intercooler upgrade?

So on the never ending quest for upgrades I'm debating on going with a bigger intercooler. It looks pretty easy to install a bigger unit from what I see online other than some piping, connectors and fabbing up some brackets.

Here is the intercooler I was looking at going with https://www.cxracing.com/intercooler...rice&order=ASC

Aside from brackes and some plumbing what else do I need to do?

If anyone has done this give me some tips please!

07 CRD QD2 GDE ECO Tune OEM DPF Delete Russian Silicone hose kit JBA Arms OME lift Rubi wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I had one installed last summer. There are a few pictures and info in my thread linked in my Sig. That one you linked is same size as mine, which is to wide. I had to have the ends cut and cast 90* elbows welded on, when we did that we matched the 2.5 inlet and 2.0 outlet on the intercooler to the stock intake hoses. Bracketing is easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Over-land
2007 WK 

Dumb question - could you have installed some 90 degree couplers instead of the elbows?

07 CRD QD2 GDE ECO Tune OEM DPF Delete Russian Silicone hose kit JBA Arms OME lift Rubi wheels

post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-land View Post
Dumb question - could you have installed some 90 degree couplers instead of the elbows?
Not a dumb questions. I did not put those pictures in my thread.
I have attached them here. You can see that you'd have to be more than 90* to get back to the stop hoses, or figure out how to manipulate them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3705.jpg   IMG_3676.jpg   IMG_3674.jpg   IMG_3708.jpg   IMG_3707.jpg  

underscore likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
I upgraded mine over the winter. I used an intercooler from Ebay

Parts:
2"2"x3' aluminum angle stock
2.5" silicone elbow (intake side)
2.5"x3" aluminum tube (intake side)
2.5"2.25" silicone elbow (outlet side)
2.25"24" aluminum tube (outlet side)
2.25" silicone elbow (outlet side)
4x2.5" t-clamps
4x2.25" t-clamps

I used the factory hose on both 20190203_151341_1558709300467.jpgsides. The intake needs a couple inches cut off to fit nicely. The outlet side needs to be cut right after the elbow where it increases to 2.25" diameter. You'll have to cut the aluminum tubing to the correct length, but 24" will give you lots of room for mistakes.

Sorry about the picture being flipped, not sure why or how to fix it
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190524-083756_eBay_1558709275956.jpg  
underscore likes this.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 09:54 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

I updated mine last year with the CB engineering kit which came with a new throttle body adapter too. Pretty straightforward if the cross member is already out for some other reason.

Did anyone here notice any significant performance change?

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 10:09 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrau View Post
I updated mine last year with the CB engineering kit which came with a new throttle body adapter too. Pretty straightforward if the cross member is already out for some other reason.

Did anyone here notice any significant performance change?
I did not notice any performance gains. On my dashboss I notice my intake temps are now under +10*F difference from ambient verses +20*F difference on stock; I am also flowing A LOT more air into mine now too. That does equate to more fuel, more power with the denser cooler air; but butt-dyno couldn't tell.

I see above Gray203 used a narrower IC; which CBE went to. He never posted his current size, but the old size from his R&D time is the size I went with.

post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Over-land
2007 WK 

Really appreciate the info guys!

Now I'm second guessing on doing this mod...

I'm coming to the conclusion from actual user reports is that upgrading the intercooler may not be a major upgrade in terms of performance. It seems the people that are saying "increased MPG, faster, more power" are the people selling these components and not from actual users?

Is it worth it?

My CRD is tuned/GDE and DPF & Resonator delete so because of those couple of mods will it net a increase in performance???

If I get 2-3mpg increase it's worth it to me. If I can FEEL a difference then yes it's worth it. If I spend $300+ and a day installing it to say "meh I think it made a difference" then it's a waste of time.

Prove me wrong!!!

post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 11:46 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-land View Post
Really appreciate the info guys!

Now I'm second guessing on doing this mod...

I'm coming to the conclusion from actual user reports is that upgrading the intercooler may not be a major upgrade in terms of performance. It seems the people that are saying "increased MPG, faster, more power" are the people selling these components and not from actual users?

Is it worth it?

My CRD is tuned/GDE and DPF & Resonator delete so because of those couple of mods will it net a increase in performance???

If I get 2-3mpg increase it's worth it to me. If I can FEEL a difference then yes it's worth it. If I spend $300+ and a day installing it to say "meh I think it made a difference" then it's a waste of time.

Prove me wrong!!!
That's up to you. My crossmember got smashed in and also smashed the IC; so mine had to be done. $600 for a stock replacement or $300 for this setup, so I saved some money. If you are just DD'ing mostly, unlikely you'll even see the 2-3mpg gain either. Like I said, I only noticed the change in intake temp, which would equate to increase in hp/tq due to increased air/fuel mix. IMO the 2-3 mpg people see is a total of everything that can be done. If I saw 1-2mpg on each thing over everything I should be at almost 30mpg highway. Currently I see an average, 60%hw/40%city, 23mpg. My best on stock everything was 26mpg running 60mph 98% highway.

I think it would be fun to find a 2wd CRD, swap to a 3.07 rear gear from a v6 gasser, lower it with 245/65(70)/17's low resistance tires, and a GDE/Malone tune and try to actually push the 30mpg envelope at real highway speeds.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 02:19 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
I noticed a little bit of decreased turbo lag, and a little better city mileage. The biggest difference I noticed was that my EGTs stay lower city driving, and they drop much faster after a highway run.

I should add that I have a GDE hot tune, DPF delete, and resonator delete. With those three, adding in the intercooler did give me noticeably better acceleration.

Also as a note, the intercooler I went with didn't require any trimming of the crossmember, and I opted for the shorter height because I have a 4xguard front mount hitch that would block the added height of the CBE intercooler

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in