Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

discontinued ecu / harness

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  02zedr2 
#1 ·
My daughter's CRD WK keeps dying and leaving her stranded. After three attempts we finally have a diagnosis that makes sense. However, the solution per the dealer is replacing the ecu and wiring harness both of which are discontinued. He also says they won't reprogram a used ecu. Any suggestions that would keep it out of the scrapyard?

#2 ·
sounds like a shotgun diagnosis, new PCM/ECU and harness... We can try some second guessing and suggestions the questions may suggest a path to check out.

I am guessing-
The jeep dies, won;t restart. Anything to add?
What if any CODES were present or pending?
What is getting lost - injector pulse, fuel pump?

Jeep is stock, no programmers, chips, engine modifications, emission deletes, anything added or plugged in?

#3 ·
I had already wondered about the wiring harness being an issue as I had read that some other WK CRD owners had experienced something similar with damage near the battery area that caused the same problem. The codes would be all over the place i.e. all injectors, etc. GDE program otherwise stock.

#7 ·
On the driver side, check the wiring harness that cross on top of the AC compressor line. It is between the battery and the engine. It is accessible from the top. Make sure this is not rubbing between each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
When does it stall? At idle? When on gas? On hot days? After driving a while? Details can help the forum offer suggestions.

Dealers are great at some things, but diagnosing beyond their scanners is often beyond their skill and patience level. When a dealer tells you the PCM is bad, it often means there are no stored codes and they are stumped.

With the limited information given, does this scenario accurately describe your stalling?
Usually fine with cold starts
Intermittent stalling after motor is warm/hot
Stalling occurs when coming to a stop or randomly at idle
Sometimes restarts after stall, but stalls again on gas
Restarting after cool down is usually fine

If that accurately describes the situation, look at your Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor. Those sensors, especially the crankshaft position sensor is prone to heat damage and failure. When they are heat damaged, the problem usually starts with a random stall here and there, but progressively gets worse. Timing goes nuts, it stalls, and they don't always set or store codes.

#10 ·
look at your Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor. Those sensors, especially the crankshaft position sensor is prone to heat damage and failure. When they are heat damaged, the problem usually starts with a random stall here and there, but progressively gets worse. Timing goes nuts, it stalls, and they don't always set or store codes.
Good call!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I had the same problem jeep would die about after running for 15 min, would and crank but no start, towed it home and fired right up, drive for 10 min and died again, literally like someone shut the engine off, towed it how again and it started right up. Scanned it and came back with crankshaft code, changed the sensor on the left hand side by the bell housing and haven't had a problem since

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.