Diesel smell from 15 feet away - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggrassmid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-28-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
browningv308

Diesel smell from 15 feet away

I know it's a diesel so it's supposed to smell but from 15 feet away? 07 CRD only mod I know of under the hood is the elephant hose mod and the swirl flap resistor. I did the elephant hose thing and just routed it to the front under the engine.
I park beside my house and while sitting on the deck last night I could smell diesel from 15 feet away.
Looked under the hood ' engine cover and foam blocks have been removed long time ago' nothing wet, looked under it around the fuel tank and above the skid plates- nothing wet.
Am I smelling the inside of the engine from the elephant hose mode? Since it's just hanging down and not connected to anything- I do notice some puffs of smoke coming from the area when I stop at a light or something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-28-2019, 09:34 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Yes; if you have your CCV vented to atmosphere, you will smell that will the engine is running.
underscore likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Xmind
2007 WK 

can confirm this is normal for the EHM on the CRD

if you are downstream of that air, you are going to smell it for sure. I.e. the venting is completely unfiltered (no cat or DPF) so you are getting raw diesel/oil vapors.

'07 GC CRD QDII, EHM, GDE ECO, DPF & intake rez delete, Paramount Perf Valve Body

post #4 of 13 Old 10-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
I have had my EHM for almost 100,000 miles now and it does not smell enough for my wife to complain and she would definitely complain if it smelled. On a very hot day if you do something that stresses the engine, like going up a long grade and then stop and idle THEN it will smell...still not too bad and not 15 feet away.

Maybe you just have a super sensitive nose....ha.... that a good quality.

Look close around your injector and see if you have a seal leak.... THAT can make a lot of smell. When I had one we had lots of smell in the cabin. The give away is black goo around the injector....gobs of it. It will not have wet diesel anywhere.

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Cchalmers

Garage
I've got the same problem. Chirpz can you send a pic of where to look? I'm not very familiar with where the injectors are.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-29-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
browningv308

I am a heating and air guy by trade and this time of the year I work on a lot of oil fired boilers and furnaces, I eat a lot of oil and am used to the smell. Around the injectors is clean and dry, so I'm positive it's not leaky injectors. I guess it's time either install a catch can or order the kit that plumbs the hose into the exhaust
post #7 of 13 Old 10-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchalmers View Post
I've got the same problem. Chirpz can you send a pic of where to look? I'm not very familiar with where the injectors are.
Sure..... I have a DIY write up that shows the whole story. Posted here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...l#post38959737

Chirpz
2007 WK CRD, Quadradrive II, OEM Tow Hitch, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete, 4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly Guards, Side Rails & Full Matrix, OEM Skids, EHM, Dash Duck.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2019, 10:44 PM
SteveROntario

Check to see that you aren't leaking fuel on top of your fuel filter or at the high pressure pump. The rubber lines split at the ends and leak.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #9 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Cchalmers

Garage
Took off the engine cover and the top of the fuel pump was dirty with fuel. Cleaned that off and started the engine and checked again and it appeared to be coming from the black plastic threaded fitting (air purge for priming pump?). Pulled that out and the other instrument (little heater?) and found old orings. Replaced all the orings and will take for another drive and inspect.

Hoses looked good.

Where is the fuel filter?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0991.jpg  
post #10 of 13 Old 11-01-2019, 05:43 PM
badgerwithhands
2007 WK 

Garage
That is the fuel filter in the image. The threaded cap and inside piece is the fuel/water separator. When running, opening that threaded piece releases the water with fuel if there's any there. The nipple on top is for a tube to direct the flow.

The high pressure fuel pump is on the front of the motor. Hoses from fuel rail return and fuel filter go to it. Metal lines to fuel rails come from it. Fuel tank has a pump to send to high pressure pump

07 WK Overland CRD, cargo LEDs, OME HD, MOPAR skids, rack,
future mods: tires, lights, CB, skids,
post #11 of 13 Old 11-02-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
browningv308

I'm almost positive my diesel smell is the cc vent since my homemade elephant hose mod is just a 1'' hose running to the front of the engine, while driving and I come to a stop light if the sun is right I can see some smoke/steam coming from the area where the hose is and that area is also where the smell is coming from.
Probably order up a catch can sometime and look into welding a boss on the exhaust and route the cc vent properly
post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2019, 12:14 PM
jimcrd
2014 WK 

Run the bypass hose over the frame rail to the passenger rear wheel. I had the same problem when my hose vented near the front of the vehicle. Your A/C or Heat will suck in the CCV fumes when it is too close to the front.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
hoorders

2008 WK 

That smell is definitely your EHM. Mine is routed to the atmosphere out front of my engine just like yours...and yes it smells. I have also put a small plastic container below it to catch the dripping oil out of the hose. A proper catch can or vented into exhaust is the only way to stop the smell. Doesn't bother me none since I rarely leave it idling and stand outside the vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in