5Likes
  • 3 Post By LouC
  • 1 Post By LouC
  • 1 Post By Mr. Puddles

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
LouC
2007 WK 

Did a front brake job and used a great tool....

If you ever dread having to replace rotors on an older vehicle, because you know they are going to be stuck on...yes there are some tricks such as using the bolt and 2 nut tricks but I found a great tool made by OTC tools, that is a drum puller but it works well on rotors too...I sprayed penetrating oil in the lug holes and around the center bore, hooked up this tool, and with a couple of turns the rotor popped free! Even using the bolt trick on the rear which I did took me a while, this was like 2 min and its off. On the WK the rotors were original they were on all of 13 years and 110,000 miles. So I give this tool 5 stars!

https://www.otctools.com/products/he...d-rotor-puller

of course I gave the hub and inner face of the rotor hat a coat of anti seize in case I ever have to take em off again.

Walt, underscore and JeepN_A_CJ7 like this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2019, 05:07 PM
DougRz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good.

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_) 03 auto, Ford 8.8, 4.88, Tru-tracs
post #3 of 11 Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I had problems,I just used a blunt ended air chisel

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

post #4 of 11 Old 08-13-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
LouC
2007 WK 

Glad that's done!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1118.jpg   IMG_1119.jpg  
99sajeep likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Mr. Puddles
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Ive always gone for the BFH
99sajeep likes this.

Follow the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Dakota aka Winnie aka Mad Max
1996 Grand Cherokee aka Puddles aka Pikey Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The 4.0 is dumb old tractor motor, itís too stupid to know itís supposed to die.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
My go to tool for this is living in the Pacific NW Screw road salt!!!!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
LouC
2007 WK 

I think no matter where you live if there is moisture in the air, cast iron/steel will rust. When you got a stuck rotor there are a few options...one is the brute force sledgehammer method but that is risky since it puts a lot of force on the bearings inside the hub. The other method that works is the bolt through the hole on the steering knuckle trick with 2 nuts on it, that can be used to push the rotor off (use one bolt with 2 nuts on it in each mount hole, put the old pad against the rotor to spread the force out. That is how I got the back ones off back in December, the rear mount is threaded so I just got longer bolts of the same thread, put a bolt on the end and then put the old pad against the rotor to spread out the force. The 2 bolt trick works without banging on it with a sledge but it takes longer as you have to rotate the rotor to apply the force in different spots on the rotor.

Here's how I removed the rear ones. No banging with big sledge, back off the star wheel for the parking brake all the way...get longer bolts with a nut...etc...just get it nice and tight, take a hammer and just tap, no banging needed after letting the penetrating oil soak in...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0554.jpg  

post #8 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
LouC
2007 WK 

And before installing the rotor....coat both the hub....and the inner mating surface of the rotor with anti seize...and next time the rotors will literally slide off...
On our '98 ZJ I have been doing brake jobs on it since it was about 2 years old, I am up to about 4 brake jobs front and rear I think....and since I always used anti seize..the rotors have never been stuck on...

post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 AM
zjeb67
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
And before installing the rotor....coat both the hub....and the inner mating surface of the rotor with anti seize...and next time the rotors will literally slide off...
On our '98 ZJ I have been doing brake jobs on it since it was about 2 years old, I am up to about 4 brake jobs front and rear I think....and since I always used anti seize..the rotors have never been stuck on...

Excellent tip on preventing trouble the next time around
post #10 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 02:24 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I just bang mine off with a large dead blow hammer and hearing protection. Worst case is you use a metal sledge and bend the rotor you are replacing anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
I just bang mine off with a large dead blow hammer and hearing protection. Worst case is you use a metal sledge and bend the rotor you are replacing anyways.
But what about the wheel bearings? I wonder how many people have had wheel bearing failure not long after banging off the rotors? BTW, since I had to do brake jobs on the '98 ZJ early on (the oe rotors on those never lasted, aftermarket was actually better) I always coated the hubs with anti seize. Never had to use a hammer once. And, the bearings on that Jeep have never had to be replaced...even at nearly 180,000 miles....just wondering about that.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in