daytime running lights bypass? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2008 WK 

Garage
daytime running lights bypass?

I have read online that there is no way to turn off the daytime running lights on the WK.

The other day I noticed that when I shift into Park with the engine running that the daytime running lights Turn Off, the they turn back on when shifting into Drive.

I am thinking of trying to hook up a toggle type switch with wires running to the switch that the console transmission shifter touches when in Park - I havent removed the center console yet to see if this is possible.
Also... I am wondering if I was able to do this set up, if the transmission might not shift out of park because of the bypass, Although I think the Transmission Shifter is only Mechanical so it Might Work?

Thank You,
Bo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 08:24 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
You can adjust the DRL settings with Jscan OBD, appcar FCA and some of the other diag/config tools.
Hacking up the wiring and adding a switch isn't the best way

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 08:52 AM
mobilehomer

2006 WK 

Garage
Try pulling your parking brake up ONE click. An old trick.

If it ain't 4X4, it ain't a JEEP!!!

post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 10:42 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehomer View Post
Try pulling your parking brake up ONE click. An old trick.
If they are in good working order and properly adjusted, that will drag the parking brake significantly

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 11:13 AM
mobilehomer

2006 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
If they are in good working order and properly adjusted, that will drag the parking brake significantly
Not one notch. There should be zero drag at that.

If it ain't 4X4, it ain't a JEEP!!!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
You're better off using software to do it, as mentioned. You can also choose which lights are your DRLs (low beam, high beam at 50%, fog, or park lights).

Not sure where you are, but having DRLs is a legal requirement in some places. When I retrofitted HID lights into my WK I changed my DRLs to the park light option

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2008 WK 

Garage
Great info!!

Can you give me a online page of where to buy a: Jscan OBD ? - Apparently it plugs into the obd plug in under our dash and then we connect it to our cell phone to operate it?

Also... I drove up to a building last night just to check if my headlights were shining evenly - Horizontally. the low beams were dead on, the high beams looked to be Not Even/Level Horizontally.
When in the High Beam Position the Right High Beam appears to project quite a bit higher than the Left High Beam.

Going from low beam to high beam...
1) the Left high beam projects just a bit higher than the Left low beam does (I am guessing this is about how it is supposed to be)
2) the Right high beam projects significantly higher than the Right low beam.

I am thinking that Maybe my Right High Beam "Bulb" is Not sitting in the headlight housing securely?

Thank You,
Bo
post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 06:59 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
You can adjust the DRL settings with Jscan OBD, appcar FCA and some of the other diag/config tools.
Hacking up the wiring and adding a switch isn't the best way
X2 on this. Why do you want to shut them off? I turned them on on my 06 Overland, 05 Magnum R/T. and 06 300C SRT8. Saves a few bucks on the insurance for each of them too. I also added Anzo projector halo headlights on the Jeep and Maggie. Way better setup than stock on both.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and, SOLD Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 just replaced with 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2021, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2008 WK 

Garage
Well... The less the headlights are on the longer they will last?

Plus here in Oregon and I believe also in Washington we are Not required to have DRL's (I am not positive of this though, I haven't actually checked lately the Laws for our area).

I agree though that having the headlights on All The Time, Does help with less accidents.

I tried that Emergency Brake trick today as was suggested. The headlights Did stay off BUT... the Red Emergence Brake Dash Light Flashed the whole time so that isn't going to work for me.

Thank You,
Bo
post #10 of 12 Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
Well... The less the headlights are on the longer they will last?

Plus here in Oregon and I believe also in Washington we are Not required to have DRL's (I am not positive of this though, I haven't actually checked lately the Laws for our area).

I agree though that having the headlights on All The Time, Does help with less accidents.

I tried that Emergency Brake trick today as was suggested. The headlights Did stay off BUT... the Red Emergence Brake Dash Light Flashed the whole time so that isn't going to work for me.
None of mine came with the DRL's activated. I turned them on on all three of them, because I feel that the wife and my lives are worth a little more than a couple light bulbs. Plus, I have never had a headlight burn out.....ever, and I've been driving a lot of years. We also drive on a lot on high speed 2 lane highways in Oregon and Idaho and, IMO, that's another important reason for DRL's. To each his/her own though.

Also, FYI, the diagnostic/configuration programs mentioned above allow you to set the voltage that the lights run at. IIRC, I have mine all running at ~6-8 VDC.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and, SOLD Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8 just replaced with 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid with 1020 hp and 1050 lb. ft. of torque.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2021, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
riderboy1961

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
Great info!!

Can you give me a online page of where to buy a: Jscan OBD ? - Apparently it plugs into the obd plug in under our dash and then we connect it to our cell phone to operate it?

Also... I drove up to a building last night just to check if my headlights were shining evenly - Horizontally. the low beams were dead on, the high beams looked to be Not Even/Level Horizontally.
When in the High Beam Position the Right High Beam appears to project quite a bit higher than the Left High Beam.

Going from low beam to high beam...
1) the Left high beam projects just a bit higher than the Left low beam does (I am guessing this is about how it is supposed to be)
2) the Right high beam projects significantly higher than the Right low beam.

I am thinking that Maybe my Right High Beam "Bulb" is Not sitting in the headlight housing securely?

Sure enough... I checked that Right High Beam Headlight Bulb and it was just sitting in the hole on the back of the headlight housing, loose.
I pushed the bulb back in, with a quarter turn and the bulb is back in place.
I must have knocked the bulb loose when I was Installing the New Headlight Housings that came with All new bulbs installed.

Thank You,
Bo
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2021, 04:38 PM
90grandoneer
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Don't know if anyone has answered this yet, but I use the Appcar-DiagFCA for some of the programming. Yes, it is an OBDII tool and I use it with my laptop. I am sure you can pick up a dongle for your cell phone and use it that way too. Personally, I like a little bigger screen than what's on my phone. You'll also need an ELM327 interface to hook your device to the OBDII port.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in