Custom Auxiliary Fuse Panel Install (Pictures & Video) - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MyJeepStory

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-08-2021, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
MyJeepStory

2005 WK 

Garage
Custom Auxiliary Fuse Panel Install (Pictures & Video)

I've been taking more time lately to enjoy my Jeep off-road for camping trips and the like. Equipping a vehicle for overland expeditions often involves adding many electrical accessories and my situation was no different. After hardwiring and installing my Garmin Overlander and in anticipation of adding a new Midland GMRS, a camera system, and more I wanted to ensure that everything is wired safely and remains reliable on the trails.

I was installing previous electrical accessories with fuse taps and they're undeniably convenient, but with so many accessories requiring draw from the OEM fuse panel, this can cause unwanted strain to the factory components and premature failure. I also have no idea how under my dash got so rusty, it was like that from the previous owner

To address this, I got a seven-circuit fuse panel from Painless Performance that provides up to 140 amps to any additional electrical accessories I add in the future. By isolating the fused circuits from the OEM fuse panel, I won't have to worry about electrical failures and I can safely provide the outputs needed to the ignition-only circuits. The kit I chose to go with was the Painless Performance CirKit Boss Heavy-Duty Auxilary Fuse Panel (P/N 70118) alongside some other components from Painless to further make the install...painless. I wonder how many times that joke has been used when people refer to Painless products.

The kit alone comes with everything you'll need to add an auxiliary fuse panel to any vehicle. It includes the fuse panels, two 70-amp relays, fuses, wire connections, ring terminals for the battery connection, fuse taps (to tap into an ignition-hot circuit only), zip ties, instructions, hardware, and more. Not only that but just like every Painless product, the wires are labeled for ease of use.

To install the fuse block, I made a panel that would sit beneath the steering panel right in front of the OEM fuse panel. This location has factory holes and has plenty of room. The previous owner installed a remote start kit and the wiring done would show up right next to the term rat's nest in the dictionary. I wanted the panel to address this issue as well and be able to mount the component boxes to the remote start kit. Brace yourself for this next picture, it's bad and borderline unsafe.

I cut out some cardboard to make a template of the panel and made sure everything would fit with clearance to mount the fuse block. When I had the design I wanted that utilized factory holes for bolts, I cut out a piece of sheet metal in the shape of the panel. I really wish that I had some ABS plastic on hand but I, unfortunately, did not and I couldn't find any in local stores. The sheet metal works, but is tougher to cut, bend, and can have sharp edges that could make their way through the insulation of a wire causing a short.

Once I finalized the shape and made sure the edges were as rounded as I could get them, I mocked up where I wanted everything to mount to. From there, I marked where holes needed to be made and noted the diameter needed. After it was cut, I prepped and painted the panel to avoid rust from forming (another disadvantage of metal instead of ABS plastic). Grommets from Painless Performance (P/N 71901) were installed where wires would pass through to keep them from potential damage the metal could cause as mentioned above.

I test fitted everything and removed it all for the picture above, but the diameter of the hole where the wires pass through from the fuse panel was so close to the dimensions of the female end of the relays that I didn't want to risk damaging them for the sake of the picture. Things got exciting here and I could assemble all of the components onto the fuse panel!

I'll list out the components from left to right;
  • Remote start box- I have no real idea what this is, but everything from the remote start kit connects to this and one other box that I mounted to the back of the panel
  • Ground distribution block- This distribution block from Painless Performance (P/N 80115) offers a convenient way to provide a common ground for any electrical accessory I add. The larger post in the center connects to a six-gauge wire that goes to the body of the Jeep for a solid ground.
  • Fuse panel- The star of the show, this fuse panel has seven slots for included 20/30 amp fuses. The relays are mounted to the back of the panel to keep a clean and low profile.
  • Power distribution block- The fuse block comes with very long wires that are meant to reach a distance that your electrical accessory resides. The problem with that is if you don't already have seven accessories to wire, you're left with a mass amount of wires that you have to stuff away and cap until they're needed. With this distribution block, I'm able to connect the seven outputs from the fuse block via ring terminals and connect any accessories at any time to the other end. I can swap accessories, add more, take one away, etc with no need to solder or use any tools aside from a screwdriver.

The power distribution block is in order and each wire corresponds to a specific fuse on the block. That way if a component fails, I'll know which wire or fuse to check.

The kit comes with two methods to find an ignition hot source; a fuse tap and a method that splices into an ignition hot wire that you can see on the left in the photo below. I opted to use the fuse tap since my OEM fuse panel is located very close to the auxiliary panel. Note that there is a marginal draw from the fuse tap, it's solely used to let the auxiliary fuse block know when to provide power to the seven outputs.

Using the manual, I found that the second fuse from the bottom on the right was ignition hot so I tapped right onto that fuse! The ignition hot wire from the Painless fuse block is also labeled "to ignition."

The only thing left to do before it's mounted up is to route the larger power cable to the battery and bolt the ground cable to the Jeep's body. I didn't snap any pictures of that, but it's pretty self-explanatory. With that done, I bolted the panel in, made sure the measured clearance was correct and I was good to go! The panel that opens beneath the steering wheel closes right up and you'd never know it was there.

I really enjoyed installing this into the Jeep and Painless makes some killer products. I also made an entire YouTube video covering this from start to finish and I know this was a pretty complicated process so I hope the video helps some more. Please let me know what you guys think!

99sajeep likes this.

See the story-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2021, 08:18 AM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

nicely done. looks real good.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-09-2021, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
MyJeepStory

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
nicely done. looks real good.
Thank you! I know a lot of people dread wiring and electrical work, but it's something I've enjoyed over the years. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out and leaving a comment.

See the story-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-09-2021, 10:16 PM
bumzo1

2005 WK 

That looks awesome, very clean install!

'05 WK 3.7L QT1 OME MD lift
'09 WK 5.7L QDII Stock for Now
Khaki WK Club Member #1
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2021, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
MyJeepStory

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
That looks awesome, very clean install!
It's definitely a great addition to our WKs and hey, nice light khaki WK! Mine was the same color before I Raptor Lined it.

See the story-
post #6 of 6 Old 08-23-2021, 12:50 PM
toxic0n
2005 WK 

Nice work! And what do you know, I'm already subscribed to you on Youtube...not much fresh WK content on Youtube in general

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in