CRD with P0402 and Lightning Bolt - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By TyeRant

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
TyeRant

CRD with P0402 and Lightning Bolt

I was travelling on the highway climbing a hill when all of a sudden, I lost power and got the flashing lightning bolt and CEL. It went into fast limp mode allowing me to get to my destination. After restarting the jeep seemed fine until I was on the highway clibing a hill and again, flashing lightning bolt and CEL.

When I got home I did a scan and got the P0402. EGR valve code.

I pulled the egr and cleaned it today and made sure the valve opened and closed freely. I re-installed it to see if this fixed it. It did not. Still getting P0402 CEL and Flashing Lightning Bolt.

I ordered a tuning cable to do a test (offroad only) egr delete.

I also ordered some 4.7k ohm resistors for a swirl motor mod.

Could this be someting else? What else can I try?

It will be a week before I get my orders and need to get back on the road soon!

Thanks!

2008 Grand Cherokee North Edition CRD - Stock for now
2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
TyeRant

Well, I think it is fixed.

I am embarrassed to say what the issue was but if it helps someone, I am willing to look like the goof I am. LOL.

A fellow enthusiast suggested that I check my MAF sensor even though I was getting a EGR error code. I got some MAF cleaner and pulled my airbox. Much to my astonishment, I found a chipmunk nest in it! It was full of leaves, nuts, grass and fur. How the heck did it get in there? I vacuumed out all the crap, cleaned the MAF for good measure, installed a new air filter and no more codes or limp mode so far.

Oh well, this gave me a good enough push to get a tuning cable and hopefully I will get on learning to tune soon.

I hope this post helps someone. Hey if it makes you laugh, that is good too. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Chippy Jeep.jpg  
ggrassmid and underscore like this.

2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
post #3 of 9 Old 07-23-2019, 12:50 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

My neighbourhood has a lot of rodents lately so this is very good to know. Which tuning cable did you get? I tried one that works with the diesel Liberty but didn't have any luck with it on the WK (at least not with the software I used).

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

post #4 of 9 Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Donuts31

I had an engine replaced on my Hyundai (no surprise) under warranty and during the time it was in the shop, a rodent built a nest in my airbox too!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-25-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
TyeRant

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
My neighbourhood has a lot of rodents lately so this is very good to know. Which tuning cable did you get? I tried one that works with the diesel Liberty but didn't have any luck with it on the WK (at least not with the software I used).
I think I probably got the same one. Saw it on one of the Jeep Liberty CRD youtube vids. It is the MPPS one. I read on one of the sprinter forums that it worked fine so I figured it would be OK for the WK CRD. Time will tell. I home to start messing with it soon. Trying to get a DPF delete pipe first before I flash the ECU. I want to limit the number of times I flash it just in case something goes wrong.

If anyone has any experience with the MPPS cable let us know!

Thanks

2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
post #6 of 9 Old 07-25-2019, 01:29 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

That's the one I got, though I bought a cheap one and had limited time to play with it so I wasn't sure if it was a bad cable or I was using the software wrong or what. If you have better luck please let me know.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2019, 03:50 PM
DukeLucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeRant View Post
I pulled the egr and cleaned it today and made sure the valve opened and closed freely.
Was there any problem pulling it out?

I am getting Code P0403 "EGR control circuit/open" on my WK so I'm thinking of pulling the EGR valve. However it looks like insufficient headroom to pull it out without dropping the rear of the engine a few inches. I saw on Youtube a guy removing it from a Mercedes (plenty of headroom) and the valve needed pulling up about 3 inches (as you see from around 1:35) but I only seem to have about an inch of headroom.
Attached Thumbnails
EGR_on_Merc.jpg  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
TyeRant

I removed the frame piece nearby that holds the plastic engine cover to give me room. The wiggled it out turning it a bit as well. I had to turn it a wee bit to get enough clearance to get it out. It was tight but I was able to get it out on mine. Hope this helps

2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2019, 02:24 PM
DukeLucan

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in