craigbru's 'Somewhat-Charted Territory' WK build - JeepForum.com
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 146 Old 03-12-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
craigbru

2007 WK 

craigbru's 'Somewhat-Charted Territory' WK build

I bought a second WK, so it's time for a new build thread! I'll admit I didn't do a great job of keeping up on my previous thread, but I'll try to do better this time around. Here is a link to my old WK build. It turned out to be pretty much everything I wanted in the end. Running a modified Superlift at 6", it performed well off road, was comfortable to drive, and would cause Wrangler owners to take a second glance. Whether the latter was due to confusion, admiration, or jealousy, I'm not quite sure... haha. Us WK and XK owners choose a different path than most. With somewhat limited aftermarket support, advanced builds become more costly, and are truly an exercise in patience and dedication. Despite all this, at some point I decided it must be worth it, because I'm back for round 2!

I learned quite a bit while building the old WK over the past few years. I've got a pretty good idea what works, and what doesn't. Having a chance to start over, there are a few things I'll be doing differently this time. Most ideas will carryover though, because I do feel I did more right than wrong. I'll be moving quite a few parts over from the old WK, including the lift. After all is said and done, I'll have enough components left over, that the old WK will still be at about 3" of lift. I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll sell or keep. Just to have a frame of reference and show you where I'm coming from, old WK pics are below.

So, on to the new WK. I had been looking for something low mileage for a little while, and came across the following. It's a 2010 Limited QDII with the Hemi. It was one owner, and had service records from day 1. I had to drive a couple of hours from home to take a look at it, but liked what I saw and made the purchase. If anything, I felt there was a little more underbody surface rust than I'd liked, but the panels were all solid. All this meant, was that I'd spend some time on my back with a wire wheel a some rust proofing at some point in the near future. It seems like an acceptable sacrifice right now, but may well change my mind once I'm actually under there and cursing.

Well, keeping it shiny and new didn't last for long. A couple of weeks ago, I was on my way to work one morning. The roads were incredibly crappy, and despite my best efforts, I slid into the back of a school bus (yes, a school bus) when it decided to slam on it's brakes. Despite what I felt was enough following distance, I slid and continued to slide until I made contact. I'm not sure I hit it at more than 2 mph. In fact, I was moving so slowly, I almost felt like I could have stuck my foot out the door and stopped it 'Flintstone's' style. The bus bumper was high enough that it hit my grill, a headlight, and the hood. Really everything that had a lot of give. No structural damage to be found. One estimate put it at $5100 in repairs. I thought this was truly ridiculous. I got a second opinion from my insurance adjuster, and knowing I could easily fix the damage myself, they cut me a check. You know what that means? Upgrade time! It was the perfect opportunity to get a few parts that I wanted anyway.

Between the insurance check, and some of my own cash, I've been making the UPS guy my personal slave the past two weeks. Fixing the damage was the first priority. A new black (primed) grill to replace the previous chrome version, headlights, fiberglass challenger style hood, Steel Armadillo winch mount, and various supports took care of things up front. I also ordered CBE coilovers, JBA 6" rear springs, Pro Comp Series 40 Vertigo wheels, Volant intake, Second Skin sound deadening, a trio of Sundown Audio amps, various Dayton speakers, a pair of Audiomobile GTS 2110 subs, an ethernet relay board, and a few other misc. items. More to come!

My wife now fully believes I hit the bus on purpose...

Jeep-Core
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 PM
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
I bought a second WK, so it's time for a new build thread! I'll admit I didn't do a great job of keeping up on my previous thread, but I'll try to do better this time around. Here is a link to my old WK build. It turned out to be pretty much everything I wanted in the end. Running a modified Superlift at 6", it performed well off road, was comfortable to drive, and would cause Wrangler owners to take a second glance. Whether the latter was due to confusion, admiration, or jealousy, I'm not quite sure... haha. Us WK and XK owners choose a different path than most. With somewhat limited aftermarket support, advanced builds become more costly, and are truly an exercise in patience and dedication. Despite all this, at some point I decided it must be worth it, because I'm back for round 2!

I learned quite a bit while building the old WK over the past few years. I've got a pretty good idea what works, and what doesn't. Having a chance to start over, there are a few things I'll be doing differently this time. Most ideas will carryover though, because I do feel I did more right than wrong. I'll be moving quite a few parts over from the old WK, including the lift. After all is said and done, I'll have enough components left over, that the old WK will still be at about 3" of lift. I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll sell or keep. Just to have a frame of reference and show you where I'm coming from, old WK pics are below.

So, on to the new WK. I had been looking for something low mileage for a little while, and came across the following. It's a 2010 Limited QDII with the Hemi. It was one owner, and had service records from day 1. I had to drive a couple of hours from home to take a look at it, but liked what I saw and made the purchase. If anything, I felt there was a little more underbody surface rust than I'd liked, but the panels were all solid. All this meant, was that I'd spend some time on my back with a wire wheel a some rust proofing at some point in the near future. It seems like an acceptable sacrifice right now, but may well change my mind once I'm actually under there and cursing.

Well, keeping it shiny and new didn't last for long. A couple of weeks ago, I was on my way to work one morning. The roads were incredibly crappy, and despite my best efforts, I slid into the back of a school bus (yes, a school bus) when it decided to slam on it's brakes. Despite what I felt was enough following distance, I slid and continued to slide until I made contact. I'm not sure I hit it at more than 2 mph. In fact, I was moving so slowly, I almost felt like I could have stuck my foot out the door and stopped it 'Flintstone's' style. The bus bumper was high enough that it hit my grill, a headlight, and the hood. Really everything that had a lot of give. No structural damage to be found. One estimate put it at $5100 in repairs. I thought this was truly ridiculous. I got a second opinion from my insurance adjuster, and knowing I could easily fix the damage myself, they cut me a check. You know what that means? Upgrade time! It was the perfect opportunity to get a few parts that I wanted anyway.

Between the insurance check, and some of my own cash, I've been making the UPS guy my personal slave the past two weeks. Fixing the damage was the first priority. A new black (primed) grill to replace the previous chrome version, headlights, fiberglass challenger style hood, Steel Armadillo winch mount, and various supports took care of things up front. I also ordered CBE coilovers, JBA 6" rear springs, Pro Comp Series 40 Vertigo wheels, Volant intake, Second Skin sound deadening, a trio of Sundown Audio amps, various Dayton speakers, a pair of Audiomobile GTS 2110 subs, an ethernet relay board, and a few other misc. items. More to come!

My wife now fully believes I hit the bus on purpose...

Lol! Im thinking that now too! Great thread. Please keep sharing!

This is my modest build
craigbru likes this.

2005 Jeep GC Limited 4.7 QTII
2.3" RRO lift Bilstein Struts/Shocks 255/70R17 Cooper AT3
post #3 of 146 Old 03-12-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
craigbru

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgossler View Post
Lol! Im thinking that now too! Great thread. Please keep sharing!

This is my modest build
Thanks! I'll definitely do a better job of sharing this time around. There are so many things unmentioned in the last thread.

Your WK looks sharp!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Chirpz and sgossler like this.

Jeep-Core

post #4 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 05:17 AM
RIHEMIS
2009 WK 

sgossler-
Is that vinyl on your hood?
Looks good
post #5 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 AM
SkyjacktZJ

2010 JK Wrangler 

Subscribing. I'm in Papillion, just down the road from you. I just picked up an '05 4.7L WK about a month ago. I drove 4 hours to pick mine up. It's in decent shape, but also has more underbody rust than I'd like as well. I've got a few maintenance things to take care of first before moving forward. It's funny, I always wonder why people don't take care of their vehicles like I would... LOL.

This time around my plan is to just do a mild lift, tires & wheels. Already picked up a set of 5 JK Moabs. Going to be my DD.

2015 JGC Altitude Edition
2005 Rocky Mtn. Ed. JGC 4.7L V8 - SOLD
post #6 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
craigbru

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyjacktZJ View Post
Subscribing. I'm in Papillion, just down the road from you. I just picked up an '05 4.7L WK about a month ago. I drove 4 hours to pick mine up. It's in decent shape, but also has more underbody rust than I'd like as well. I've got a few maintenance things to take care of first before moving forward. It's funny, I always wonder why people don't take care of their vehicles like I would... LOL.

This time around my plan is to just do a mild lift, tires & wheels. Already picked up a set of 5 JK Moabs. Going to be my DD.
Nice! There are a few modified WK's rolling around Omaha, but we're definitely on the rare side, and I'm fine with that. I had a TJ for years, and my wife currently has a 2011 JKU Rubicon. So, I don't have any desire to get another one of my own.

I know the platform extremely well at this point, so if you need any advice or have questions, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Jeep-Core
post #7 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 09:34 AM
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHEMIS View Post
sgossler-

Is that vinyl on your hood?

Looks good

Yes! Its Matte black vinyl. I trail hawked my jeep
craigbru and JeepN_A_CJ7 like this.

post #8 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 AM
RIHEMIS
2009 WK 

Looks good
Where did you get it?
post #9 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
craigbru

2007 WK 

Most of the parts have arrived now, so work will start as time and the weather allow. Some of the first things I do, wonít be terribly exciting. Iíve got to pull parts off the 07 GC and repaint before they make their way to the 10. Iíll also tackle the underbody rust when time allows. Iíll also be focusing on the interior improvements. For the past few weeks, Iíve been modifying a center dash bezel to accommodate a 10Ē LCD screen, and pics of that process are coming soon. In addition, I just had 2 boxes of sound deadening arrive from Second Skin Audio. After showing up, I realized why the shipping cost was so high. Combined, both boxes weighed about 110lbs! The deadening, along with an extensive stealth audio upgrade, should make for an awesome place to sit during road trips. Iíve got a unique take on a slot ported sub box that wonít take up any cargo space at all. Well, if youíre not opposed to cutting a little metalÖ Speaking of audio, a trio of Sundown amps arrived. A teaser pic below.

My wheels also showed up. I wanted something a little different than the black wheels that have been so popular the past few years. While the one of a kind custom set on the 07 have served faithfully for a few years, I really wanted to drop the wheel spacers required to used them. Thereís nothing inherently wrong with properly installed spacers, but I had a chance to change things up and took it.

So much more to come!

Jeep-Core
post #10 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 PM
SkyjacktZJ

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice! There are a few modified WK's rolling around Omaha, but we're definitely on the rare side, and I'm fine with that. I had a TJ for years, and my wife currently has a 2011 JKU Rubicon. So, I don't have any desire to get another one of my own.

I know the platform extremely well at this point, so if you need any advice or have questions, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks, man. I certainly appreciate it. I used to own a 95 ZJ on a 6.5" RE lift, so I had my fun . Now it's just old-man style rolling for me - all comfort for minimal $$, LOL

I just took mine in to have my mechanic go through it. Found some small things, but overall the previous owner had taken good care of it. I was worried while waiting for his findings. Going to get those things taken care of then the mods.

I dig those new wheels you got. Should look sweet on the '10. My '05 is Silver as well. Debating whether to keep my Moabs the stock silver or powdercoat them gunmetal. Thoughts?

post #11 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
craigbru

2007 WK 

I was seriously looking at WJ's before I got the WK. It was really only ever supposed to be a daily driver instead of my TJ. I was afraid I'd feel compelled to spend too much money modding a WJ, so I didn't get it. With the WK, I started with a 2" budget boost and Sahara take offs just to set it apart a bit. I thought I would be fine... Uh, that didn't happen, haha.

Gunmetal for sure. However, it's one of my favorite colors, so I'm a little biased. I do think it's just enough to set it apart, without spending the money on new wheels outright.

Jeep-Core
post #12 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 PM
nyd

I'm really interested to hear the plans for the lift. I'm getting ready to go to a modified superlift from my OME HD lift and really want something that drives well on the highways as well as performs as well as possible off road so everything has lead me to a coilover setup in the front. I am not familiar with CBE Coilovers - I've been looking at King. if you don't mind sharing your detailed plans for your suspension setup I'd love to hear.
post #13 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 PM
SkyjacktZJ

2010 JK Wrangler 

nyd
Where are you located? I might be interested in your OME setup if in good shape

post #14 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 PM
sgossler
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHEMIS View Post
Looks good
Where did you get it?

I designed the outline in photoshop my self, and a friend of mine has the machine that cuts the vinyl. All in all, it costed me around $6 dls... but any vinyl shop should be able to make it for you.

post #15 of 146 Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM
SkyjacktZJ

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...With the WK, I started with a 2" budget boost and Sahara take offs just to set it apart a bit. I thought I would be fine... Uh, that didn't happen,
LOL, I know what you mean. I started out with a 3" Skyjacker kit on my ZJ, then a few years later, I was running a custom 6.5" Rubicon Express lift, ARB bumper...
This time around I'm going to stay with the 2" BB. At some point may upgrade to the OME HD, but still a 2"
craigbru likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in