Converters are going. Tuner to shut off CEL from aftermarket cats? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 50Junkie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

Converters are going. Tuner to shut off CEL from aftermarket cats?

At 170k my converters are tossing codes on longer trips. Also explains the crappier than usual fuel mileage. I'm weighing the options of high-flows, aftermarket, or even just gutting. Either one, from my experience, is likely to toss a CEL light anyway when going away from factory. Do any of the tuners on the market offer an option to modify post cat readings? My Jeep is a 2009 4.7L.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

I doubt you'll find any legit. place that'll do that for you, as it is tampering with the emission systems on the vehicle which could result in huge fines for the tuner. Years ago, Diablosport would allow you to shut off the EGR system, but as soon as the word was out they had to remove it from their tuners for this reason.

The only way I know of is to purchase an HP Tuner and modify your post cat. readings at your own risk. All this being said, you should be able to find some (approved) aftermarket cats. that'll work fine without going through all this. I've had JBA high flow cats. on my 5.7 Hemi LX for over a dozen years and have never had any problems of any sort.....codes or passing emissions tests.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If the state doing the emissions testing quizzes the PCM as to its current program the new (modified) may not be recognized.

What are the codes and why not fix the issue?
the fact that they only code on long trips would have me asking WHY - its often the short trips with cold cats that are problematic.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 AM
50Junkie
2008 WK 

Keep in mind, cats don't fail on their own or wear out. You need to figure out what is damaging them. Where are your fuel trims? Losing oil or coolant? All it takes is a pinhole upstream or downstream of a cat to affect o2 sensor readings, which will make the pcm change fuel trims when it doesn't need to. Misfires?

If you can get live data out, check upstream and downstream o2 readings. Upstream should switch between rich and lean. Rear o2 should be relatively steady and above .6V. Are you getting P0420/0430 codes?
jtec likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Th0r
2009 WK 

No emissions to worry about. I'd prefer to put cats back on, but I don't want to spend a ton on OEM. I see lots of cars come into out shop with a/m cats and post cat CELs, and I had the same issue when I put high-flows on the 5.7 300C, so that's why I was looking at the tuner route.

P0420 only. All rubber feeding the intake is in good shape and can't find a leak when spraying with intake cleaner. No coolant loss. Oil stays in the "full" range of the dipstick between 5k mile oil changes so it make use 1/2 qt or so. Readings on 02's have been ok every time we've checked. No audible exhaust leaks. The cat does rattle.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
... crappier than usual fuel mileage...
that's money going out your tailpipe.

when it was me, i just bit the bullet to fix and pay once. otherwise you're paying for it every fill up in lost mileage.

i went with magnaflow stainless cats and a set of mopar O2 sensors to fix my own p420 issues (Y pipe rusted out). unfortunately the jeep hasn't moved and they've been sitting in the garage for a couple months because i haven't had time with this whole pandemic (it was pretty bad here in NJ), but soon!

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Raffish
2005 WK 

I gutted mine because PO had leaking manifolds that killed it. I just clear the codes every few days, pretty annoying but not quite $700 magnaflow annoying.

I don't think it actually affects the trims much, they're controlled by upstream O2s. Getting bad downstream will just give you the P0420 (or P0430). Lmk if this is not accurate.

My millage goes down to ≈12l/100kms on highway which I think is pretty close to original..

I keep trying local wreckers and will prob put one in if I can find at a reasonable price..

05 WK Limited 5.7, QDII, OME HD, 265/70/17 1.25" Spydertrax, CC, MBRP SS, 250xxxkms
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I replaced mine with resonators. Current tuners don’t allow for you to disable the associated codes anymore. I messed around with o2 spacers for a bit including stuffing with varying amount of steel wool with limited success. In the end, I got a custom tune to get rid of the codes. Runs great but the exhaust smell is rather noxious. It’s probably not a permanent fix for me, but my own cats had almost 200k miles and I wasn’t prepared to buy new for it.

I may either weld in aftermarkets at some point, or spring for the magnaflow setup. It’s currently a bit over $700 on amazon for the non federal emission version. At one point it was down to the mid $400 range. Bosal has what appears to be a magnaflow clone for just under $500 on rockauto too.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2020, 05:47 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Raffish you might want to look at o2 sensor inputs as the front AND rear often determine fuel trims*, also with your cat codes WHAT is if any 'actiontaken' by PCM ?

A little anal but for the record - removing or rendering inop an emission device is ILLEGAL that is a federal regulation, does not matter what state..

* old days it was only precat for trims.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM
50Junkie
2008 WK 

A quick check showed Walker direct fit for $400ish for 4.7 and $300ish for 3.7. Not sure which engine you have. No listing from them for a 5.7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in