Compatibility of U-Connect components with aftermarket stereos - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
troglegs

Compatibility of U-Connect components with aftermarket stereos

I recently bought a new Kenwood DDX9704S head Unit radio to replace my stock (broken CD changer) Chrysler / Jeep unit. I bought the iDatalink Maestro interface which is supposed to plug into the CAN Bus somehow and give you native controls and links to the built in features. I realize this post is to a rather narrow group of people who may have done the same thing but I’m interested in hearing if you were able to do any of the following:

1.) Were you able to use the microphone used by the built in U-Connect so it would work with the Kenwood? Is there a “hack” or a “mod” that would allow me to do that? Trying to not have another little mic installed on the dash. I know the U-Connect BUTTONS on the rear view mirror would be pretty much useless.

2.). Were you able to connect up the Rear Backup Camera on the Jeep by the license plate to the new Kenwood radio? If so, again, do we have to cut wires and splice in stuff? (I’m perfectly willing to do so to keep functionality of the rear view camera on the new head unit).

3.). Lastly - I have Sirius/XM. Do you know where the antenna lead is located or where the existing Jeep Stock Tuner is? Thus us likely where I’d be able to tap into the existing roof antenna. No need to duplicate an antenna.

I appreciate any info that any of you can provide. I can just start digging into the project but it would help to know how others did it before I start. Perhaps somebody makes aftermarket interface adapters to allow for an easy connection to the stock mic and the camera. I know steering wheel controls are guaranteed to work with the Maestro interface.

Thanks!

Tom
Northern Calif
2007 WK Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2018, 12:45 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
i put a maestro in my jeep. it works great, but it's not exactly a plug and play install. here are some sort of answers to your questions:

1) no, you can't use the u-connect mic. the wires from the microphone don't get down by the head unit, it goes in the u-connect module. also, if your phone is paired with bluetooth to the u-connect make sure to unpair it before you remove the factory radio. the u-connect module is not part of the radio and you won't be able to easily unpair the phone after the factory radio is removed.

2) i have a 2005 (no OEM backup camera that year) so i had to add wires, but from my reading at the time, the OEM unit is just a regular composite video output so you should be able to get it working with a splice up near the head unit on 2006 and later WK/XKs.

3) not possible. the OEM tuner doesn't connect to aftermarket radios. your new head unit needs two way connection to the tuner so that it can control the station tuning, etc. it looks like the one for the DDX9704S should be the SIR-KEN1, but that seems to be discontinued? maybe the Sirius SC-C1 or SXV300 would do what you need. i'd contact kenwood and see what they currently are suggesting for a satellite tuner. in any case the new tuner will come with it's own antenna that you'll have to mount. i'd try putting it on the dash under the trim dome behind the headunit and see how the signal is.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
troglegs

Thanks for the info... ya, guess with the Maestro unit I have to plug it into my home PC via USB and program the firmware on it.

Do you know if the old stock U-Connect is used at all or is it abandoned? I’m fine dumping it - I was just hoping to find it’s location and locate the mic wires plugging into it from the harness and steal those wires and make up a new plug which would go into the back of the Kenwood head unit. I just have no clue where actually the U-Connect module is in the car.

Same thing for the abandoned tuner for Sirius XM. I already have s nice roof antenna I’d like to leverage. I’m sure it has the same wire coming down from the roof as the kind of wire used by Sirius stock antennas. I may have to cut wire and splice or buy a new push on brass connector but I was hoping to do that. My main reason for dumping the stock radio (other than the Nav is out of date and the maps can’t be updated any more and other than the stock internal six disc cd changer is broken - is that i already own three lifetime subscriptions to Sirius and I want to stop paying $150 a year for the subscription in this Jeep by installing one of my other tuners or use a cradle with one of my lifetime Sportster 5 radios. (that’s how I sold my wife on the radio upgrade - by paying for the radio in 3 years due to not paying for SiriusXM anymore!!). 😉

So if you know where those two modules are in the car - I’d love to know...

Thanks

Tom
2007 WK GC Ltd 5.7HEMI

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 07:20 AM
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troglegs View Post

3.). Lastly - I have Sirius/XM. Do you know where the antenna lead is located or where the existing Jeep Stock Tuner is? Thus us likely where I’d be able to tap into the existing roof antenna. No need to duplicate an antenna.
According to the FSM the satellite receiver is located in the right rear quarter area behind the trim panel.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 07:13 AM
scottcrd

Did the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket radio? I ahve a 2007 GC.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 PM
MassWK2010
2010 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcrd View Post
Did the steering wheel controls work with the aftermarket radio? I ahve a 2007 GC.
I have a Kenwood DDX6905S and connecting your Maestro module to your computer and flashing it, will allow you to change your steering wheel control buttons that are at your fingertips to whatever you want, you have to create an account with the Datalink first before you can flash the module.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in