Commander... major water on driver's floor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Commander... major water on driver's floor

I've owned my Commander for almost 3 weeks so I don't know much yet... I think I read something about sunroof drains?? Does this sound like that? Where and how??

I left the jeep parked at home for the weekend... we got like a foot of snow, and then a few inches of rain on top... super wet storm and I missed it all. Came home and went out to move the jeep... I found the rubber catch-all floor mat on the driver's side floating in a lake of about 3 inches of water...icebergs and everything. It was crazy. . The jeep was maybe parked on a slant to the driver's side? Just a slight slant if at all. Passenger's floor is totally dry.

I can't follow the water there from anywhere... everything seems dry except the floor? How does it get down there?? Help!! More moisture is on the way in the next few days and I have to park outside.

Follow up: Do I need to worry about anything electrical or anything? Is there a floor drain down there under the carpet? What's the best way to dry out the carpet? Etc Etc.... Lame thing to find on the "new" Jeep!

Thanks in advance......

Previous Jeeps: 89 YJ, 92 YJ, 99 XJ, 98 XJ
Current Jeep: 07 XK Commander limited w/HEMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 PM
SteveROntario

It's that time of year, the sunroof vents freeze and overflow. You can re-calibrate your sunroof and see if that helps.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #3 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Had this issue with my wk last year. Ran some stiffer electrical wire through the drains and then compressed air, but nothing really came out. I ended up cutting the bottom of the tubes off a bit to give them slightly better flow.

Part of the problem is if they totally freeze with water in them, then the sun hits the roof, it will thaw the upper porting well before the bottom of the tubes thaw. Not sure what if anything can really be done about that.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

OK, so sunroof drains is the likely culprit... so then....

How do I find the top of the sunroof drains at the sunroof? I opened it and didn't see anything obvious.

How do I find the bottom of the sunroof drains? Do they run through the floor under the carpet? Do I have to pull up the carpet? Are they easy to locate under the jeep?

How do they overflow in the middle if the bottom freezes? Is there an overflow somewhere? What is the "upper porting well?" How is water getting out?

Where do they run? Down the pillar by the windshield?

What does it mean to "re calibrate the sunroof"? What would that do?

Thanks.....

post #5 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

OK I watched a couple youtube videos... concept understood... didn't see anything about water leaking from higher up though... the clogged grommet thing at the bottom makes total sense, I'll pull that out and clip the tip for better flow... but I'm still not getting how if that was just frozen shut (totally likely in my case) water found a way down there. How is that water getting out of the blue tube?

I pulled the trim off of the pillar next to the windshield, and there is a white fabric like thing in there (no clue what it is?) along with the blue tube and the black tube (rear wiper fluid?)... that fabric thing is completely soaked. So there is water coming down in that pillar... but I'm totally unclear on how that happens. Can someone enlighten me on anything else I can do? How is backed up water from a clogged bottom of the blue hose at the floorboard getting out of that blue hose and winding up inside that pillar next to the blue hose? That's the part I'm not comprehending... there's like a tray-type area at the front of the sunroof, and a drain hole in the corner of that, which is the top end of the blue hose... is the blue hose a closed system all the way to the bottom, or is there a vent or something in it somewhere? Is that tray just overflowing into the headliner and then water is just finding its way into that pillar?

post #6 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

OK, getting no love on here so I"ll keep answering my own questions

I left the trim off of the pillar by the windshield overnight, and when I went out this morning I had two little icicles hanging down from the headliner right at the top of where that trim piece would be. I took a pic but I don't have enough street cred to post it here yet. So I'm going to assume that the blue tube is just a single tube all the way down with no air vent or outlet anywhere along its path, and it's literally overflowing out the top because of blockage (ice or debris or both) at the bottom somewhere...filling the tray at the sunroof and overflowing down into the headliner. Lame. I haven't had time to pull the floor apart so later today I'm hoping to get it torn up and fixed, and I'll get a fan in there drying out the carpet and leave the windows cracked and see if it'll dry out at 20 degrees overnight. High of just above freezing today so We'll see if things loosen up...

post #7 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 04:54 PM
gargoyle91

It's not just snow I'm in California and every time it rains hard if I don't cover the sunroof I get water in my dash , Now that i cover the sunroof I get water passenger side floor even had the passenger side door fill up once and for the life of me I cant figure out why it does it since the sunroof is covered .
post #8 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 05:16 PM
brent_m
2007 WK 

Is it possible that the Commander had a new windshield installed prior to you taking possession of it?

You did the drain tube fix? I think some guys mentioned they "snake" it out with some small wire...

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #9 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle91 View Post
It's not just snow I'm in California and every time it rains hard if I don't cover the sunroof I get water in my dash , Now that i cover the sunroof I get water passenger side floor even had the passenger side door fill up once and for the life of me I cant figure out why it does it since the sunroof is covered .

Lame! No one warned me about this! haha. Hoping I can sort it out... seems like it's definitely getting into the headliner and just running downhill. In the dash is bad news! I may park on a slant just to avoid that until I get it sorted.

I'm in California too by the way... it's a big state

post #10 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_m View Post
Is it possible that the Commander had a new windshield installed prior to you taking possession of it?

You did the drain tube fix? I think some guys mentioned they "snake" it out with some small wire...

I have not done it yet. Discovered the water and started posting here. It's only been above freezing for a few hours in the last few days so I can't get the carpet dry... but at least it's not getting moldy I guess....

I'm off work in a few and going home to see if the grommets are plugged at the bottom... hoping that takes care of it. I have a compressor so I'll try to blast out the lines if they're not frozen... don't want to "pop" them if they have an ice cork in there...

post #11 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 06:20 PM
brent_m
2007 WK 

Yeah that's a bummer. I'd get it into a garage to see if you can get it dried out, otherwise it'll just be a humidity/visibility nightmare inside as your car warms up on cold days.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7 Hemi - Airaid CAI - Magnaflow
post #12 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRandy View Post
OK, getting no love on here so I"ll keep answering my own questions

I left the trim off of the pillar by the windshield overnight, and when I went out this morning I had two little icicles hanging down from the headliner right at the top of where that trim piece would be. I took a pic but I don't have enough street cred to post it here yet. So I'm going to assume that the blue tube is just a single tube all the way down with no air vent or outlet anywhere along its path, and it's literally overflowing out the top because of blockage (ice or debris or both) at the bottom somewhere...filling the tray at the sunroof and overflowing down into the headliner. Lame. I haven't had time to pull the floor apart so later today I'm hoping to get it torn up and fixed, and I'll get a fan in there drying out the carpet and leave the windows cracked and see if it'll dry out at 20 degrees overnight. High of just above freezing today so We'll see if things loosen up...
There are a couple TSBs that explain the possibilities for this ( even if some are not specific to your jeep). Most of the time it is caused by one or more of sunroof drains , but you might as well look at everything.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2305005.pdf
http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2305004.pdf
http://www.wkjeeps.com/TSB/tsb_wk_2300707.pdf

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #13 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks guys. I pulled it apart this evening and found major ice all along under the door sill, which I was able to pry out with a screwdriver.... so I got quite a bit out while it was solid at least. That whole wiring harness that runs through there got a good soaking though. Hope that doesn't cause any issues.

Major pain to get the carpet folded back because it's frozen solid... I eventually got it rolled back after some forearm cramps (haha). Pulled the grommet and hose out of the floor and the grommet was very plugged with goop, and the bottom 3 inches or so of the blue drain line was rock solid ice.

I let the jeep run with the heat blasting on the floor for about 30 minutes and things thawed out. A few sessions with a shop vac and I'm finally getting somewhere in terms of getting moisture out. I'm going to leave a fan running on it, and all the windows cracked a few inches overnight and we'll see how it's doing in the morning. Once the ice cork drained out of the drain line, I put my mouth on it and blew, and could easily move air through it, so I assume the ice blockage was my issue, and was caused by poor drainage because of buildup in the grommet at the bottom. I trimmed the grommet down and ran the hose all the way through it, and put it back in the floor. I still need to do the other side, but I'm pretty confident that that was the issue. Hoping nothing sloshed around in the headliner and found dome lights, etc... no sign of real damage and I'm in a very dry climate (most of the year) so I assume that once it dries out it'll be fine. What a lame deal though.

post #14 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 PM
SteveROntario

I try to ignore the dripping except when comes out of the grab handles and pours on my left leg. I park on the edge of Lake Ontario so we have spring about 20 times during the winter. It snows, melts, freezes, and repeats all in the same week.

The wiring should be OK as long as you don't poke at it, it's the same wiring you see under the vehicle. Wait until the blend doors on the HVAC start to misbehave, that is when it really gets annoying.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #15 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
CommanderRandy
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
I try to ignore the dripping except when comes out of the grab handles and pours on my left leg. I park on the edge of Lake Ontario so we have spring about 20 times during the winter. It snows, melts, freezes, and repeats all in the same week.

The wiring should be OK as long as you don't poke at it, it's the same wiring you see under the vehicle. Wait until the blend doors on the HVAC start to misbehave, that is when it really gets annoying.

Ha! I hear you on the Spring 20 times... Sierra Nevada mountains here... we get some of that action. And the blend doors on the Cherokee were always an issue too! What's up with Jeep and those things?

So my new routine is get home, pop off 3 pieces of interior trim plastic to get at the carpet, crack the windows, peel the carpet back, stick a hair dryer under the pad.... I think I'm getting there drying it out and I haven't noticed any new water.... hopefully trimming the bottom of those grommets opened things up enough so I won't get the freezing plug again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in