Commander Electrical issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Commanderwv07

Commander Electrical issues

I just bought a commander and didnt realize it had so many issues. I am hoping someone has had these issues and can help me.. I am stumped.

First and foremost, the door locks only work with the remote or will work with the door switch when the key is turned off. If I turn the key on, the door switch no longer works but sounds like it will attempt to unlock only but doesnt lock at all.

Second problem is the passenger window from the drivers side switch acts like it has a short in it and will only go down or up a little bit and stop.

Third issue is the interior lights. They will turn on whenever the illuminate switch is turned OFF, but after I turn the switch on at any level, the lights no longer work. Also, if I turn one interior light on and turn on a second on, they both go dim. If I turn on a third one, they all go out completely.

Fourth issue is every single time I turn my illuminate switch at all, the service 4wd flashes.

Fifth issue is my traction control never turns off whenever I engage 4wd low or any time. My jeep goes into 4 low as normal but the traction control light never comes on.

Sixth issue is my odometer section is burnt out and my fuel gauge doesnt work.

Seventh issue is smaller but still could be related... my passenger door speaker is muffled and the dash tweeter doesnt work at all.

Eighth issue is my heat is really hot when driving and even when I try to turn the temperature to cold, it still blows hot. The fan switches all work but still blows hot air when Turner to off and the temperature is all the way cold.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
consumedbywater

Garage
I can point you in the right direction for the last issue. XKs have a gear that links the heat/ac blend door to the actuator motor that tends to break. Depending on whether you have single zone or dual zone climate controls, and which side is having problems, you should check on either the left or right side of the dash.

If you have single zone, or are having troubles with the drivers side heat, pull on the panel directly underneath the steering column and it'll flip down for you to access the actuator motor. The motor will be mounted on the air distribution box towards the center of the vehicle, and is held on by a few Torx screws. The passenger side is mounted identically but opposite, and you'll need to remove the glove box to access it.

Once you see the actuator motor, take out the screws and pull out the motor, then check that the gear is still intact. If it isn't, unfortunately Chrysler doesn't sell it separately, but you can try to search eBay for a 3D printed part or make one yourself.
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Commanderwv07

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedbywater View Post
I can point you in the right direction for the last issue. XKs have a gear that links the heat/ac blend door to the actuator motor that tends to break. Depending on whether you have single zone or dual zone climate controls, and which side is having problems, you should check on either the left or right side of the dash.

If you have single zone, or are having troubles with the drivers side heat, pull on the panel directly underneath the steering column and it'll flip down for you to access the actuator motor. The motor will be mounted on the air distribution box towards the center of the vehicle, and is held on by a few Torx screws. The passenger side is mounted identically but opposite, and you'll need to remove the glove box to access it.

Once you see the actuator motor, take out the screws and pull out the motor, then check that the gear is still intact. If it isn't, unfortunately Chrysler doesn't sell it separately, but you can try to search eBay for a 3D printed part or make one yourself.
Thanks for your help! I have single climate control. Is is the gear that is bad or the part that holds the gear? What is the part called that I would search for?

Is this the reason my heat wont cool down no matter what the temp control is set to?

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 10:13 AM
2008HemiXK

2005 WK 

Garage
Yikes!!!

There are so many weird issues here that are incredibly rare. This rig must have been under water at some point in its life.

You may be looking at a ground issue. I didn't spend too much time scouring wiring diagrams to see what circuits fit your concerns and where they ground, but by proximity G303 under the drivers seat would be one I would want to check out. I would also want to look at G200 (sorry no picture available) that is listed as "By the data link connector". I would unbolt each ground, clean the body and the eyelet on the wire, and bolt everything back up.
Attached Images

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in