Commander 3.0 crd loss of power, stutter while accelerating - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-01-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Czechman39
2007 XK Commander 

Garage
Commander 3.0 crd loss of power, stutter while accelerating

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Commander 3.0 crd, I've loved and hated the car so many times… I can't seem to find an answer @ any forum around the world regarding the 3.0 crd power loss. The car seems as if it doesn't have any boost, especially @ low revs. When I rev the car, the engine sounds like its working really hard to achieve any momentum. As I get going, and revs go higher, there is an accompanying wooshing sound and sort of stutter (as if turbo kicking in and out).. The situation is getting worse and worse and more often I feel the stutter and low power and of course lower mileage.. I have a semi-pro scan tool, no codes regarding turbo, etc.. Last code I had was p0069 after map replacement - had no effect on performance.

Parts that have been replace:

2x Reman. Turbos with new actuators (on the first replacement turbo the variable vanes probably got stuck as the lever to the actuator seized up, exchaged for another unit)
New intake pipe with black seal
New PCV pipe
New MAF and MAP
New water in fuel sensor
Repaired swirl motor
New exhaust manifolds
All filters and oils changed regularly
New battery (thats when it I actually started noticing the wooshing sound)..

Looked at intercooler pipes, hoses - no visible cracks, tears.. Fuel pressure seems stable and ok.

I really don't know where else to look.. The only thing that comes to mind is the EGR, but should that be throwing a code if it was faulty? I looked at the EGR readings during a normal drive :

EGR Duty cycle - while in park @ idle 5%, while accelerating 5%, when I let off the gas, the reading jumps to 67% - 42% for a microsecond then back to 5%... Is this normal behaviour?
Should I be looking at something else? Exhaust pressure sensor? Should throw a code as well, right?

The only other thing that I'm thinking of is the PCM... but that would also throw some kind of code right?

Any ideas? As I said, I love the Jeep, but Mercedes/Jeep should have worked a bit more to make this engine reliable..

Mileage is 140 000 km.

Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Is the lighting bolt light on the dash on? The swoosh/flutter sound is from the turbo charger. Maybe the Actuator is not working properly?
Did you do the work yourself? Do you trust the person who did?
You can have someone record the actuator while revying the engine and post it here for the experts to see.
Do you have a DPF ? Might be clogged.
I have the swoosh sound with a new actuator but only while coming of the gas under heavy load.

Good luck!

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
My CRD was making a weird whooshing noise, and going into limp mode, occasionally without the red lightning bolt throttle light. I eventually noticed the voltage while running was quite low; barely over 12V. It turned out to be the alternator making the whooshing noise, and was producing zero output when I had it tested. Replaced the alternator and the sound was gone, as well as the limp mode. When I replaced the alternator I removed the intercooler to throttle hose. It looked good until I had it in my hands on the workbench and the entire hose was cracked all around it.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2019, 03:26 AM
toby123

did you solve this issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in