Cold Water? Dripping - Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnniebravo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Slack85

Cold Water? Dripping - Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD

Hi everyone, I have a really strange problem that I've been scratching my head about. I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD.

Whenever I take the car out for a reasonable length drive, when I stop and look underneath it looks like the transmission is leaking from the sump pan gasket/seal. However, this is the strange thing... the transmission is definitely not leaking. Even if I have just driven 100 miles along the motorway, I can put my hand straight under whatever it is that is dripping and it is not even slightly warm... in fact, it is cold water! Completely colourless, completely odourless, cold water!

This has been going on for a while and I'm convinced I must be missing something and/or just being stupid, because I cannot figure this out.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 10:32 AM
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

Air conditioning condensate is probably the source. Are you running the AC or have you been running it?
badgerwithhands likes this.

2008 CRD GC
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Slack85

Hi, thanks for the reply! I do tend to drive with the a/c on because it keeps a more comfortable temperature and (given these aren't the most economical vehicles in the world anyway) doesn't really make a big difference to the mileage. It also means I don't have to worry about any window fogging!

You having said that, I've just gone out and got under the Jeep again and moved what appears to be some kind of (what looks to be DIY - I've no idea what it is therefore though) cover from just above the transmission and I can now see exactly where the water is coming from - there is a drain pipe coming out from the Jeep just above the transmission. I'm guess this is from the a/c system?

In which case (quickly putting to one side how stupid I look for not having figured out the source!) my question is... is it supposed to do this, or is there something I need to do?

Cheers again!

post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 11:07 AM
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

It is normal. The drain extends from the evaporator box, usually down to the passenger side, somewhere. Think of it this way, if its clean water its either from the rain or the air conditioner as there are zero normal sources of fresh water in the WK.

2008 CRD GC
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2020, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Slack85

Thanks Johnniebravo, you've put my mind at rest!

I must confess that when I first saw the dripping, my heart sank because I had only just done tranny fluid change and replaced the sump gasket/seal because it was leaking and the electrical connector o-rings because they were also leaking. This water, where it hits the tranny and runs down the side, really did look like a tranny leak!

Thanks again!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 12:25 AM
rokrau
2008 WK 

Mine does the same.
Drops of water everytime I drive it.
I’d put the heat shield back in place cause it also covers the DPF which gets very hot every once in a while.

--Roland, 2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.0 CRD, EHM and TRD
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2020, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Slack85

I might be wrong, but I don't think my Jeep has a DPF. I'm in the UK and the Jeep was an early (March) 2006 model and I seem to recall that they didn't add the DPF over here until the later 2006 or possibly 2007 models. Having said that, I've never actually paid attention and had a look to check if there is one!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2020, 07:18 PM
Brit30-06
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack85 View Post
I might be wrong, but I don't think my Jeep has a DPF. I'm in the UK and the Jeep was an early (March) 2006 model and I seem to recall that they didn't add the DPF over here until the later 2006 or possibly 2007 models. Having said that, I've never actually paid attention and had a look to check if there is one!
Hi
I am in UK too. Mine drips water from the air con drain pipe. Can drip a lot too on humid days.
You do not have a DPF. I have a late 2008 and it has no DPF thankfully. Oddly though the Commander CRD was fitted with them. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in