Coil spring options? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

Since I have everything apart right now and am putting all new front suspension in I decided I should do new coils, insulators and mounts at this time. I had just done Bilstein 4600 struts and shocks a few months ago but didn’t realize how rusty the springs were. I’m not looking to lift or lower it any and was all set to just get some moog coils.

Reviews on Amazon aren’t good and I stumbled onto this older thread indicating the moog won’t work due to not being flat on top. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/membe...1497028?page=1

There aren’t a lot of other options and I’d rather not spend the money on mopar replacements. I’m mostly interested in ride comfort and keeping height close to stock. A very minor lift that doesn’t sacrifice ride quality would be a consideration I guess. Anyone have a recommendation?

Attached Thumbnails
1296C173-B2E5-4FD7-8DEF-18CD3358DBA4_1554854788317.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-09-2019, 07:00 PM
BadExample

2006 WK 

If they weren't sagging and just have surface rust, you could clean off the rust and paint them.
2005JGC likes this.

CJ5 we don't talk about, 58 Willys CJ-3B gone
79 J-10 gone, 99 GC WJ murdered and gone
2006 GC WK
post #3 of 17 Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadExample View Post
If they weren't sagging and just have surface rust, you could clean off the rust and paint them.
X2!!
BadExample likes this.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, TruFlow Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and stock 06 300CSRT8.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-10-2019, 06:39 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
.. how rusty the springs were...Anyone have a recommendation?
Steel expands ~19 times when it rusts. That looks like a surface oxidation and is unlikely to affect the spring rate (unless you've really abused them). Factory springs were matched to model/installed options, so ride comfort is probably not going to get any better with 1-size-fits-all replacement.

Go with a light baking soda blast and re-coat.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-10-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

I’ve considered it. I believe these to be original springs though with 190k now. Struts, upper and lower control arms, sway bar bushings, links, wheel bearings, axles, inner and outer tie rods and hardware are all brand new on both sides so not planning to take this stuff apart again in the future. I might just go for new mopar units if I can’t find something aftermarket that won’t compromise ride or lift it too much.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-10-2019, 05:00 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Iíve considered it. I believe these to be original springs though with 190k now. Struts, upper and lower control arms, sway bar bushings, links, wheel bearings, axles, inner and outer tie rods and hardware are all brand new on both sides so not planning to take this stuff apart again in the future. I might just go for new mopar units if I canít find something aftermarket that wonít compromise ride or lift it too much.
I think as long as you change the spring isolators out at the same time (which you should anyways) then it should be ok, because the aftermarket rubber isolators should be matched with the round end springs.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Many of the Mopar springs are discontinued unfortunately. And they are quite expensive as a rule.

Would you consider something in the vicinity of a 2.5" lift? That's quite mild and geometry will be fine. If so, the Old Man Emu springs will work nicely with the Bilstein 4600 series struts. The rear 4600 series shocks will be a bit short though.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

Thanks for weighing in. I think 2.5” is more than I’m interested in. It’s mostly a pavement driven and winter vehicle for me.

Assuming you’re not aware of something closer to stock height maybe within an inch or so? If I went with 2.5, I’d be looking at ome springs front/rear and changing my new rears shocks from 4600 to 5100? What would a cost on all that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Many of the Mopar springs are discontinued unfortunately. And they are quite expensive as a rule.

Would you consider something in the vicinity of a 2.5" lift? That's quite mild and geometry will be fine. If so, the Old Man Emu springs will work nicely with the Bilstein 4600 series struts. The rear 4600 series shocks will be a bit short though.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 PM
BadExample

2006 WK 

You could keep the 4600's.

CJ5 we don't talk about, 58 Willys CJ-3B gone
79 J-10 gone, 99 GC WJ murdered and gone
2006 GC WK
post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2019, 02:04 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Other than the MOOG springs, the only other stock height aftermarket springs I'm aware of are the ones made by Delco. I have no feedback as to whether they fit properly however.

Send me a PM here on the forum or email me at [email protected] if you'd like to chat about the OME setup.

Quote:
Thanks for weighing in. I think 2.5” is more than I’m interested in. It’s mostly a pavement driven and winter vehicle for me.

Assuming you’re not aware of something closer to stock height maybe within an inch or so? If I went with 2.5, I’d be looking at ome springs front/rear and changing my new rears shocks from 4600 to 5100? What would a cost on all that be?

or
post #11 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I would think those springs are going to be pretty worn out given their age, I'd suggest replacing the isolators and upper mounts while you're in there so you don't have to take them apart again.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #12 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Rtbrjason

I ended up ordering the moog springs, mount and both isolators. I got the springs from Amazon so if they’re not going to sit right with the moog isolators I can return them fairly easily.

I didn’t get the rears yet. Assuming the fronts work out, once I get that all back together I’ll probably do a similar refresh on the rear suspension with new springs, sway bushings and links, control arms and maybe the track bar.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 05:18 PM
Tango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
X2!!
X3

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #14 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 02:02 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Let us know how the MOOG springs work out. I've been hesitant to recommend/sell them because of problems others have encountered. Perhaps they've addressed the issue.

Quote:
I ended up ordering the moog springs, mount and both isolators. I got the springs from Amazon so if theyíre not going to sit right with the moog isolators I can return them fairly easily.

I didnít get the rears yet. Assuming the fronts work out, once I get that all back together Iíll probably do a similar refresh on the rear suspension with new springs, sway bushings and links, control arms and maybe the track bar.

or
post #15 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Let us know how the MOOG springs work out. I've been hesitant to recommend/sell them because of problems others have encountered. Perhaps they've addressed the issue.
@Kolak , do you have any input on the Moog /or other quick strut complete replacements? I was thinking more for the MK , but any info would be helpful.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in