Christmass Tree in Spring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Christmass Tree in Spring

This JGC is driving me baty. I've recently been getting the classic ABS, ESP/BAS, Brake, and Traction control dash lights. The only code I can pull is C2200 ABS Module Internal.

From all the reading and research I've done this issue can be triggered by many related faults, such as a speed sensor, steering etc. as well as the module itself. The dash lights turn off with ignition shut down, but come back on after moving 50 feet. Same holds true if I erase the code with the scan tool, it just comes back after moving. Interestingly, I can control the Traction control dash light by turnig off the ESP via the dash switch. Not sure if this means anything.

I have reinitialized the ABS and ESP via the scanner and the failure goes away temporarily to return after the next short trip.

I've read live data, from the wheel speed sensors, and other sensors while driving and everything seems to be communicating, one of the wheel speeds was about 3mph lower than the others, so I removed the sensor, inspected, cleaned the grease on the tip and it now read in parallel with the others..

I've also performed the ABS module test procedure and cannot find another fault. Cleans all grounds as well. I do not have the intermittent Test Procedure for the ABS if someone can kindly point me to that, would be great.

Anything I'm missing with this investigation? Can anyone suggest a better test for the module or related parts? I have noticed some inconsistencies in other people's experience regarding similar issues, namely the inclusion of the Park/Brake light with the ABS, ESP/BAS, Trac Ctrl, and in many cases not. Does this point to something on the braking side?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 12:34 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
If you can see the wheel speed sensors, you should have the tooling to pull ABS codes. That is going to point you in the right direction. I would assume at face value that you have a wheel speed sensor issue because the fault requires moving to set. Any other sensor is going to know if the circuit is electronically bad or not with a magneto resistive sensor, the wheel speed sensors most common failure mode (in my experience) is simply that there is bad information provided to the computer and it uses logic to say "there is no way that wheel is not spinning." The wheel speed sensor is provided power and ground and generates its own signal with these sensors, so as long as power and ground is getting to the sensor, it doesn't know if the sensor is doing its job until it can compare to others. Common with wheel speed sensor issues, you may have false activation of abs or traction control, feel the car dragging or pulling, all until the Christmas tree pops up, then its decided its bad information and stops trying to control the problem.

It will set a code with the lights, and that code will at the very least point you in the right direction. If I had to guess, I would assume the sensor reading lower than the rest. Make sure the wheel bearing isn't excessively warn and allowing the tone ring to move away from the sensor, then I would put a new sensor in it (again, assuming this is where the code points you).

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Thanks 2005JGC
Great insight and info. Unfortunately my scan tools, both do not pick up more than the C2200 code, nothing more specific than that. One of my scanners does allow me to perform some ABS tests tho, and with that I was able to energize both the inlet and outlet valves on the ABS module, which all worked, as well as forcing the ABS Pump on/off. Assuming that all of this was successfully performed via the scan tool ca I assume the ABS Module is therefore Good, NO Internal Issues in the ABS Monitor as the code implies?

Even after cleaning the LF wheel speed sensor, and although I get Live data wheel speeds from all of them, I did notice that the LF one lags by a nano-second behind the others in terms of capturing wheel speed. The wheel speeds all match, but as changes occur, the LF one takes just a micro second more to catch up to the others, something only noticeable while watching the live data readout and seeing a slight delta in changed between LF and RF when I chart the live data

I would have hoped that the scan tool could have isolated the problem more directly to the actual sensor, but no such luck. I may try Autozone or the likes for a scan to see if they get more than I can. I could also buy 1 front and 1 rear wheel speed sensor and install one each side till the problem goes away if it does. I do believe the sensors are not side specific.

One other thing I noticed, in various component testing modes, check brake lights, switches, etc, when I force a Trac Ctrl test, it throws the Christmas tree lights, only on that test, not sure if this is indicative of something in that system vs the ABS, since they are all tied together, but maybe this provides some info for anyone here to let me know if I should be tracing that down instead of the ABS side of things.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2021, 09:57 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I am an idiot... how did I miss that!? I am now seeing the code in the first line.

With the internal fault... you need an abs module.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

No worries, thanks for your input, I threw a lot of info out there.

Regarding the ABS Module internal fault C2200, I would have assumed that if it was bad, the initialization test at start up would catch that fault and throw the lights, but as mentioned, it does not happen until after I travel a short distance of approximately 50 feet and then the lights trip.

Also I can force all of the functions in the ABS module, brake bleed procedure, testing of all inlet/outlet valves for all 4 brakes, and also see all of the sensors Wheel Speed, Steering Angle, etc.

Wouldnt this mean that the module is working properly? I can see live data, and push commands through the scanner which means I have 2-way communication with the module. Unless there is a microprocessor issue, seems like all wired functions work This is what is confusing.

Do these modules suffer from known cold-solder issues and the like?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2021, 04:26 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I would tend to agree with the issue about the not setting the fault until you move. The unfortunate things is that the code doesn't really clarify where its seeing the problem, so at this point it would be hard to avoid the module diagnosis based on this fact alone.

They are not known for cold solders that I know of but its potentially worth a shot reflowing all the solder joints.

I am most familiar with P0601, P0602, P0603, all internal PCM faults and I have yet to see one not actually be a PCM.

For your C2200, Chrysler diagnostics basically say, "check wire harness and connectors, verify power, verify ground... replace module". The fact you can talk to it, I am not sure really what you would have to find as far as missing power and ground. The module is alive. You could check you powers, grounds and connector if you pull it out to try to reflow the module.

post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2021, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Good info. I wish I could get a full picture of all contributing inputs to test individually, I have a sneaky suspicion that it is one of the related components that feeds into the system that might have a low voltage signal show up in the ABS Module. I performed the ABS Initialization process and tried to perform the same for ESP, yet on one of the ESP steps (after driving between 3-15 mph and 90 Deg turn) tap Brakes....and that is where the test stopped and failed (lost communication with ESP, Test Canceled). I did this three times, so I'm wondering if the Brake switch, or controller is the problem. The brake lights function and whatnot, but I thought it odd that the ESP Initialization would fail on the tap you brakes portion of the test. Since all of these subsystems feed into each other, I guess it's possible. Thoughts?

Lastly, for testing purposes, I have a wrecker nearby (pick-n-pull) and could potentially find other Jeep ABS Modules on the cheap to play, test with. Question, if the ABS Modules look, physically the same, in their configuration, mounting etc, but do not match on a part-number basis, could they still work? Meaning I could get one from a JGC, Wrangler or Commander within the same year range as mine, just not sure if they could interface. The ABS units/pump bodies in these years all look the same to me, and would make sense for Jeep to have used the same platform across lines for cost savings, other than programming the VIN's to match, has anyone successfully swapped in used modules?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

A glimmer of hope after weeks at checking things out to no avail. This morning on a hope and a prayer I set the JGC up for a burn out after start up, hoping the traction control would kick in, and it did, and the dash lights stayed off, and stayed this way until the next start up, when the lights returned after 50 feet...crud. I tried to replicate this scenario in hopes of taking it for a longer drive to see if that cures it. At least, I have some confirmation that it all works.

Per the Jeep service manual for a C2200 ABS module Internal error, if it doesn't come up at startup during module initiation it's not the module, see intermittent...
Jeeps intermittent section says could be anything we dont know...

Will keep at it to see what the cause is, but it's a strange one, if you have ideas, please post
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

well, after pulling my hair out trying to determine the cause of my lights, I almost gave up. After reading other posts with people experiencing the same in multiple Jeep platforms, some had luck with just using the car until the lights went out.

Well, that worked, after a 120 mile trip yesterday, starting out with the lights on as before, the lights went off on their own. I repeated the start/stop process several times yesterday and today, but no more lights so far, so it may have taken care of itself...how not so sure.

One tell-tale point of note in my situation, is that the cruise control worked whether the lights were on or not, thought it wouldn't with the ABS out, but the cruise worked none the less, so maybe part of a fluke electrical issue or the first occurrence of a C2200 ABS module code stays in the system until a set number of trouble free miles are accumulated before it resets. Either way, I point this out, because if you have this error, and no other drive ability issues, you may be better off waiting some time before sinking in lots of $$$ for a new module that may or may not be needed. Food for thought.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in