Changed front differential fluid. Drove fine. Next day it acts bound up? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

Changed front differential fluid. Drove fine. Next day it acts bound up?

Like the title says, I changed the front differential fluid yesterday for the first time on my new to me 2005 WK Limited 5.7. Fluid came out nasty and dark. Filled it up with new 75-140 Super Tech with the 4oz of additive from the dealer. Used a transfer pump to fill it. Started it up and drove it about 10 miles, the low growl noise it was making was gone and it rode smooth as butter.

Went out this afternoon and started it up. Backed out of the driveway and everything was fine. Put it in drive and there was an immediate continuous popping sound when I started to take off. Turned it around and got it back in the driveway. Let it sit for about half an hour, started it up, backed up about 5 feet and it was fine. Put it in drive to pull back in and same noise.
I jacked it up and put it on stands. Checked the front diff fluid level and it is still full, no leaks. I don't see any leaks anywhere else besides the valve cover gasket that I knew about.

What would cause this? Could I possibly have damaged/broken the actuator or the wires by changing the fluid or from the hose on the transfer pump bumping them? Something else? This is my wife's daily driver so getting it back on the road is high priority.

EDIT: The noise only happens when stepping on the accelerator, not all the time going forward.

Last edited by GCDaddy; 06-27-2021 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:05 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDaddy View Post
Like the title says, I changed the front differential fluid yesterday for the first time on my new to me 2005 WK Limited 5.7. Fluid came out nasty and dark. Filled it up with new 75-140 Super Tech with the 4oz of additive from the dealer. Used a transfer pump to fill it. Started it up and drove it about 10 miles, the low growl noise it was making was gone and it rode smooth as butter.

Went out this afternoon and started it up. Backed out of the driveway and everything was fine. Put it in drive and there was an immediate continuous popping sound when I started to take off. Turned it around and got it back in the driveway. Let it sit for about half an hour, started it up, backed up about 5 feet and it was fine. Put it in drive to pull back in and same noise.
I jacked it up and put it on stands. Checked the front diff fluid level and it is still full, no leaks. I don't see any leaks anywhere else besides the valve cover gasket that I knew about.

What would cause this? Could I possibly have damaged/broken the actuator or the wires by changing the fluid or from the hose on the transfer pump bumping them? Something else? This is my wife's daily driver so getting it back on the road is high priority.
The diff solenoid and connection are up high inside the diff so it’s unlikely you can hit it with the transfer hose. Popping / growling noises are usually associated with cv joints. Check the front prop shaft cv and the outter 1/2 shaft cvs for cut boots and any play. It could be the problem was masked by the dirty diff oil.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

Just made an edit to my first post, it only makes the noise when under acceleration. Would that change your diagnosis?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:19 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Just made an edit to my first post, it only makes the noise when under acceleration. Would that change your diagnosis?
No . It’s possible the drive side of your Gears are done, but still more likely to be a cv issue. Did you have any other work or a lift done recently?

90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

Not really. Only had it for about a month and I've been doing just general maintaince on it since I don't know how the previous owner took care of it. Oil change, transaxle fluid change, rear differential fluid change, installed a heater core. Everything is stock on it, no lifts or other modifications.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Not really. Only had it for about a month and I've been doing just general maintaince on it since I don't know how the previous owner took care of it. Oil change, transaxle fluid change, rear differential fluid change, installed a heater core. Everything is stock on it, no lifts or other modifications.
What fluid did you use in the transfer case ? Should be nv245/247 fluid from mopar because the transfer case has clutches too. No friction modifier though.

90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

That's what I used. I got all the fluids, including coolant to change out, from the dealer.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Could also be your xfer case motor. Easy to test as you can just unbolt it and pull it out. You’ll get codes, but should be able to see if that’s the issue or not. When ours went, it did the same binding/popping sound.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk • 08 Silver WK1 SRT8
Instagram @FunkyWK2 • YouTube Funky WK2
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2021, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

Got this figured out at least. Checked the prop shaft and the cv joint was bad, like it was rusted with no grease and the boot completely separated bad. Changing it was easy, didn't even have to remove the shaft to do it, just unbolt the 6 bolts, swap out the cv joints, and put it back together. Drove better than we have felt it since we bought it.

Thank you for everybody's help with this. Now it has another, maybe more major issue than before that just popped up while just sitting in the driveway! I swear, it is like 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in