Brake Rotors....new or not? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Walt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
JackB1
2008 WK 

Brake Rotors....new or not?

At 85K I still have original brakes and even though a mechanic told me mine are still fine has seen WKs like mine go well into 100Ks with original brakes I would like to look ahead. I am never sure as to whether I should replace rotors automatically or could save money by just replacing pads if, for instance, pads are replaced somewhat before absolutely needed and rotors look good. Would appreciate some thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 AM
Kolak
Vendor

If the rotors are still plenty thick and ungrooved, not warped or high spotted, nothing wrong with just replacing the pads. You might want to have the shop that installs the pads deglaze the rotors and put a swirl pattern in them. No need to machine/resurface them if there's no deep grooves.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 AM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I have learned to never replace OEM unless it is broken, damaged, or beyond its service life. As long as the rotors are not grooved and meet the minimum thickness I would not replace them. If they were non-OEM, I would replace them in a heart beat.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 12:12 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
If the rotors are still plenty thick and ungrooved, not warped or high spotted, nothing wrong with just replacing the pads. You might want to have the shop that installs the pads deglaze the rotors and put a swirl pattern in them. No need to machine/resurface them if there's no deep grooves.
X2 on all of this. IMO, even if the rotors are slightly warped or have hot spots on them (like the fronts on two of my DCX/FCA vehicles), the brakes still stop effectively. In most cases, this is just annoying, especially when stopping/slowing from higher speeds. The rotors on both are absolutely smooth with no visible irregularities, but still pulsate, sometimes more than others, and sometimes not at all. When it comes time for pads, I'll probably upgrade the system, but not until. Just my 2 cents worth.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
At 85K I still have original brakes and even though a mechanic told me mine are still fine has seen WKs like mine go well into 100Ks with original brakes I would like to look ahead. I am never sure as to whether I should replace rotors automatically or could save money by just replacing pads if, for instance, pads are replaced somewhat before absolutely needed and rotors look good. Would appreciate some thoughts.
On my '08, the rear factory rotors went bad (grooved and pulsating) first along with factory pads worn down. The rear brakes wear out first because of the electronic stability/traction control stuff. Mine were at ~65K miles.

The factory front pads were ceramic and lasted over 160K miles. The front rotors are at 199K and still good.

All of my pads are Raybestos Advanced Technology (premium) level. Decent value for the price.

Caution: This advice may be worth what you paid to get it.
ggrassmid likes this.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 02:06 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

The last two times I did pads I ended up doing rotors. 1. Just after purchase, front left started grinding a week later. 2. Squeeker fell off and ended up grinding. I got pads and rotors for $100 for the fronts. OE discs and ceramic OE pads

post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2019, 02:22 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
It's hard to beat OEM in most cases. There are those OEM parts sometimes that are just garbage but mostly they are built to last 100+k miles. It's one of the reasons many times I don't have an issue dropping OEM money on parts.

A great example I like to use is my Wife's Honda Pilot. The stock half shafts lasted 150k miles before the CVs started to click. I replaced them with aftermarket parts for 140 dollars instead of the 400+ honda wanted for them. Fast forward 20k more miles and they were already clicking again. Wound up dropping the coin for the OEMs and as far as I know they are still on there. We traded it on a van at almost 200k miles.

Another. Jeep XJ Engine mounts. Original ones lasted almost 200k before I replaced them with some aftermarket units. I replaced those with OEM about 8000 miles and 5 months later and they were already ripping apart. Sure the OEMs are 140 dollars a set but if they last another 200k miles who cares.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #8 of 8 Old 10-11-2019, 06:38 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

The OEM rotors on my WK went over 100K miles and the only reason why I replaced them was that they had excessive rust. They weren't even pulsating yet! I replaced them with another set of OEM.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep WK front brake job.jpg   IMG_1119.jpg  

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in