Blank Buttons - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
jameyer3

Garage
Blank Buttons

I have an 07 Grand Cherokee and was wondering if the blank buttons in the console can be replaced for usable buttons, like for a light bar. My friend did this in his FJ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

I saw somewhere where someone pulled out those bars and was able to break off the ends of the button inside to make them movable. They then put push buttons glued in behind it and made workable switches out of the blank spots. If I'm not mistaken they even cut out and etched the plastic to make the light shine through to show the switch being on or off. I'll look around for a bit and see if I can find that thread.

Sent from my WK JGC phone...

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

That was a quick search.... But the pictures are inop.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...utton-1077524/

05 WK 4.7 OME HD F150 MLL's, BFG MT 255/75-17. Lots of stickers, lights EVERYWHERE!

post #4 of 6 Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM
wraycoli
2008 WK 

I took a stab at this last weekend - Took out the dremel w/ cut off disc and started hacking away.
Bought some electronics push buttons with the intention of fitting a protoboard back there and mounting it to a steel bracket sized to fit the screw spacing of the original plastic cover plate.
http://www.amazon.com/Tact-Tactile-P...ilpage_o01_s00

After making the initial cuts to remove the "buttons" piece from the cover, I realized that making the individual button cuts on the plastic wasn't going to be clean enough to maintain a stock look (cuts were gumming up and cut width was wider than desired), and the extra effort wasn't worth it IMO.

Settled on retro fitting a steel plate in the switch cover area and using flat tabbed SPST toggles from RS.

08WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn| Mod OME HD w/ Bilstein 4600/5100 | GY Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17
post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM
bensylrm
2005 WK 

What did you do with the switches that were already there? Or did you not have any switches in there?

post #6 of 6 Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 PM
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensylrm View Post
What did you do with the switches that were already there? Or did you not have any switches in there?
No switches, just the placeholder cover with faux switches.

08WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn| Mod OME HD w/ Bilstein 4600/5100 | GY Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17

Tags
button , console , light , upgrade , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in