Anyone get a "Safelite" replacement windshield? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By T1m

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
T1m

2006 WK 

Anyone get a "Safelite" replacement windshield?

I desperately need a new windshield. Safelite wants almost $400 to replace it in my driveway. Their only options are green with a blue band on top and just green for the rain sensor equipped WK's.

I have a local shop that I've had several chips repaired in my current windshield, trying to stave off the eventual replacement. Now after two years I need a new one. My local place is $100 cheaper than Safelite, for what appears to be the same glass, but are not open on Saturday.

I asked my local place to price OEM glass and they said it would be $800 as they get it from the dealer. I found it at MoparPartsGiant.com for around $400.

So anyway, has anyone replaced their windshields with a Safelite equivalent and are you happy with it.

Thanks,

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1m View Post
...So anyway, has anyone replaced their windshields with a Safelite equivalent and are you happy with it...
One replacement ($100 deductible) and 2 chips repairs (no charge).

All work done satisfactorily.

[Insurance company requires Safelite provide a lifetime warranty on the work.]

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Avs
2006 WK 

Safelite is overprice. I was able to get the windshield at a local windshield outfit for around 200.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
One replacement ($100 deductible) and 2 chips repairs (no charge).

All work done satisfactorily.

[Insurance company requires Safelite provide a lifetime warranty on the work.]
Thanks Walt,

Our insurance rates in Louisiana are the 2nd highest in the nation and don't usually cover windshields. Also, the lifetime warranty is just for leaks and whatnot.

I've had this Jeep for seven years and am only now looking for a windshield! Post Katrina, I went through a windshield a year on my Liberty; but then I was driving a thousand miles a week for work. Which was an oil change every month.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
T1m

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Safelite is overprice...d
I agree, it seems that windshield companies have access to the same glass. I would love to have a local company replace my glass, but they don't work on Saturday. This requires me to have it done during the week, which negates the price as I have to take time off work to get it done.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1m View Post
Thanks Walt,

Our insurance ...in Louisiana ... don't usually cover windshields. Also, the lifetime warranty is just for leaks and whatnot..
Had that feeling when you mentioned costs.

I was somewhat skeptical when the insurance company sent me there for the windshield had to be replaced. The Limited has the automatic sensing features at the base and at the rear view mirror areas of the glass. I was pleased to see everything was done correctly the first time, neat, clean, and functional.

Hope yours turns out as well.

'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-07-2019, 04:15 PM
YouStupidBunny

2007 XK Commander 

Not a fan of Safelite after they replaced the glass on my Wrangler. They didn't install the inside gasket and just left a gap between the glass and windshield frame. I wasn't even mad about it since everyone makes mistakes. I only got mad when they said it wasn't there when they got it. Now, I'll go anywhere but Safelite.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Not a fan of Safelite after they replaced the glass on my Wrangler. They didn't install the inside gasket and just left a gap between the glass and windshield frame. I wasn't even mad about it since everyone makes mistakes. I only got mad when they said it wasn't there when they got it. Now, I'll go anywhere but Safelite.
Always boils down to the employees performing the work. Luckily, the ones in my area are both customer-oriented and technically competent.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 07:01 AM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

We used Safelite for replacement in my daughter's WJ. So far so good and the install was painless.

On my WK, I won't be so lucky. Last year when I was tracking down my windshield leak, I used the same 3M pooky (that the shops use) to fill in the gap across the top of my glass. This sealed it all up, but now that I have 4 rock chips in the glass, Safelite won't touch it because of the pooky that's there. I'd have to go to a local shop or get someone else to pull the glass before Safelite will look at it. (Big middle finger to them!)

Looks like it'll be a local shop for me no matter what!

'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #10 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM
wraycoli
2008 WK 

Scheduled online with them a few days prior.
Install tech called an hour or so before install to reschedule to an hour later than anticipated. He inspected the replacement upon delivery, was marred during shipment.
He'd sourced a new replacement prior to calling to reschedule, drove across town to pick it up, showed earlier than rescheduled and then replaced my windshield in the drive in 30 mins or less.

No issues since, install tech was legit and took his work seriously.

08WK 4.7 QTII Rocky Mtn| Mod OME HD w/ Bilstein 4600/5100 | GY Wrangler AT Adventure 265/70/17
post #11 of 13 Old 10-10-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
T1m

2006 WK 

I got my windshield replaced yesterday a local place that was $100 cheaper than SafeLite. It took around an hour and they did a fantastic job.

It was $343 total because I gave the guy a $20 tip. He took off my A-pillar to make sure he didn't cut my dashcam power cord.
Avs likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-13-2019, 07:12 PM
djeep05

2005 WK 

I had my windshield replaced by safelite a couple of years ago, cost me $327. I was very pleased since they came to me.

HEMI Club Member #54
Silver WK Club Member #8
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 AM
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

I had Safelite replace the windshield in my driveway a few months ago. It wasn't much over $300 for a Mopar windshield and he did a great job.
I have had a bad experience with Safelite, but that was because of an incompetent employee. YMMV

2007 CRD Limited w/QDII
GDE HOT Tune, Turbo Resonator Delete
2" RC lift
229,000+ miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in