Another victim 5.7 Hemi valve seat engine gone. - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
gargoyle91

Another victim 5.7 Hemi valve seat engine gone.

Just wanted to throw out to other Hemi owners have the valve seats checked- I drove home from work stopped at the store came back out started the engine and boom totally destroyed , I have been fighting with Chrysler for 2 weeks and they will do nothing because out of warranty - Now I'm stuck with the I know you are being screwed good guy deal of $9473.00 to replace the engine. I have contacted the NHTSA and also the FTC now I have to retain an attorney. 2006 Jeep commander 5.7 Hemi limited 84000 miles

It's a rant and a heads up.

Last edited by gargoyle91; 06-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 04:50 PM
kryton

Garage
That sucks dude, hope you get it sorted!

Rock auto now list a repair kit apparently if you intend on repairing it

I've read far too many of these posts now & it's concerning having a 2005 5.7 myself

Is there a way to prevent this without fitting the later seats? Being in the uk, it's difficult to find anyone that will touch mine without charging a fortune. I've seen on another forum people using different thermostat & changing the temp the fans kick in with predator but this isn't an option as couldn't get the predator to talk to my European spec car.
post #3 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
gargoyle91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryton View Post
That sucks dude, hope you get it sorted!

Rock auto now list a repair kit apparently if you intend on repairing it

I've read far too many of these posts now & it's concerning having a 2005 5.7 myself

Is there a way to prevent this without fitting the later seats? Being in the uk, it's difficult to find anyone that will touch mine without charging a fortune. I've seen on another forum people using different thermostat & changing the temp the fans kick in with predator but this isn't an option as couldn't get the predator to talk to my European spec car.

From what I have been reading the valve seats they used are to small once they heat up they expand and it sucks the valve into the cylinder those other fixes to me sound like band aids If I had known this was a Issue I would of had the valves redone . They do say it's a overheating issue but most people never experienced overheating - I had my water pump changed a year ago but I caught it before it got hot.

post #4 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 PM
kryton

Garage
Yeah that's what I'm now thinking. I don't get what I've seen on other threads as like you say, seems to be overheating issue but so few had overheated before experiencing the problem

Does appear to happen more frequently in same situation as Mazda rx8 engines, ie short trips, restarting engine whilst still hot. Not good as I have averaged 3000 miles per year so prime for this to happen

Trouble is as far as I'm concerned is I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of thing but thinking if I need to pay a mechanic to do this, I may as well upgrade the cams whilst it's apart. Bloody cars.
gargoyle91 likes this.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
gargoyle91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryton View Post
Yeah that's what I'm now thinking. I don't get what I've seen on other threads as like you say, seems to be overheating issue but so few had overheated before experiencing the problem

Does appear to happen more frequently in same situation as Mazda rx8 engines, ie short trips, restarting engine whilst still hot. Not good as I have averaged 3000 miles per year so prime for this to happen

Trouble is as far as I'm concerned is I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of thing but thinking if I need to pay a mechanic to do this, I may as well upgrade the cams whilst it's apart. Bloody cars.
Just spoke to the Tech about the new engine going in I asked if it has the same issue he said more then likely yes but he would need to verify it, I was told the new engine would now be under warranty 3 year 100000 mile so looks like I'm going to have to have the valves done on top of paying for the new $9500 engine install within the next 3 years because who the heck drives 100000 miles in 3 years .
post #6 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Montreal300

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle91 View Post
Just spoke to the Tech about the new engine going in I asked if it has the same issue he said more then likely yes but he would need to verify it, I was told the new engine would now be under warranty 3 year 100000 mile so looks like I'm going to have to have the valves done on top of paying for the new $9500 engine install within the next 3 years because who the heck drives 100000 miles in 3 years .
Do not accept this. The valve seat material specification and the interference fit specs were changed to eliminate this problem. The problem is that the part numbers for the new seats never changed just the supplier. I don't know where your engine comes from but find out the manufacturing date. Anything after mid 2008 will be fine.
gargoyle91 likes this.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-10-2016, 05:44 PM
kryton

Garage
Wow that's got to sting. I think the later seats are different so upgrade whilst it's apart? Wonder if they can be welded in place?
post #8 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 AM
scootter82
2009 WK 

Just an FYI, my HEMI engine replacement was only 7500, done by a Jeep dealership. Luckily insurance covered it. You can get a ported crate motor installed for 9500...

OME HD, JBA UCA, Rear Adj TB, Catch Can, K&N CAI, Gibson CB, MM TB, Flaspaq, Full LED swap
post #9 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Any idea how common this is? I have an 05 with 115,000 miles. Is there a 100% fix for this? Was looking at the "economy" heads from inertia performance. They come with upgraded valve seats. The concern is that I was reading a thread where someone dropped a valve seat, put in aftermarket heads, and has now dropped another valve seat 70K miles later.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
gargoyle91

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootter82 View Post
Just an FYI, my HEMI engine replacement was only 7500, done by a Jeep dealership. Luckily insurance covered it. You can get a ported crate motor installed for 9500...

How did you get Insurance to cover it? Didn't think they covered mechanical I have full coverage AAA.
post #11 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
gargoyle91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
Any idea how common this is? I have an 05 with 115,000 miles. Is there a 100% fix for this? Was looking at the "economy" heads from inertia performance. They come with upgraded valve seats. The concern is that I was reading a thread where someone dropped a valve seat, put in aftermarket heads, and has now dropped another valve seat 70K miles later.

Seems to be quite common Google 5.7 Hemi valve drop
post #12 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 01:44 PM
scootter82
2009 WK 

Quote:

How did you get Insurance to cover it? Didn't think they covered mechanical I have full coverage AAA.
Well....I drove across a "road" that was "flooded" and drown my engine. 21st has pretty good coverage. They've been good to me.

OME HD, JBA UCA, Rear Adj TB, Catch Can, K&N CAI, Gibson CB, MM TB, Flaspaq, Full LED swap
post #13 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Quote:
Seems to be quite common Google 5.7 Hemi valve drop
Yeah, been searching threads this past little while. Seems like I will be getting the Economy heads from Inertia when I do my cam next year. The extra $1000 spent now is way better than having to spend $8K for a new engine.
post #14 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 PM
kryton

Garage
What cam are you going for? I'm half cut & feel the time has come for some drunk shopping but struggling to get my head round what I need plus supporting mods (don't worry, it's 8pm here, I'm not an alcoholic lol). Found plenty of references to sidewinder but that's as far as I've got
post #15 of 30 Old 06-11-2016, 02:50 PM
Sneaky2Toes
2005 WK 

Here is my list for my cam upgrade:

Inertia Motorsports Crazy Jay Plus Cam
Inertia Motorsports 16 Custom forged pushrods
16 6.1L Exhaust Springs
6.1L Timing Chain Tensioner
New Cam Bolt
New Crankshaft Bolt
New Valve seals - Fel-Pro
New Timing cover seal - Fel-Pro
New Valve cover seal - Fel-Pro

And now I guess the list will get a bit longer with new heads and the seals required to change out the heads. All of the above only comes to about $1000 though. Keep in mind you will need a custom tune and a wide-band O2 sensor installed for proper tuning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in