AEV EGR module, what do you think? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
AEV EGR module, what do you think?

What does everyone think about the AEV EGR module for lifted WK/XK's? Worth the purchase? Let me know what you think!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Mostly useful if you get the superlift as well. I got it because it allowed me to change my tire size on my CRD. There was only one other one that MAY HAVE worked, but no confirmations from anyone.
If you have a gas engine, there are other tuners that allow you to change the tire size and also give you a slight tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
JeepN_A_CJ7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
So its pretty much used only to change the ECM's inputs for tire size and gearing? If that's the case I can just use my Bully Dog GT tuner for that.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 03:14 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I am not speaking with any experience with the EGR so feel free to disregard... The original point of the EGR was to stop the false abs activation that happens with a larger lift and tires. I am not so sure exactly what causes it, I guess it has to do with the shortened wheelbase from the axle being pushed so far down while connected to short little control arms. That or a tire circumference thing... either way, the WK will do false activation of abs with bigger lifts. I am 3.5" or so on just shy of 33" tires and it I get the false activation. Usually turning into a driveway off of a street or a tight parking lot maneuver. Pressing the traction control button will usually stop about 90% of it for me.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
i have it. it's great. changing the tire size is just a tiny fraction of what it does. much more important: it completely eliminates the false ESP activations that happen nonstop with a lift the size of OME HD or larger. the feel of the ESP is just right afterwards, never intruding when you don't want it but still right there if you need it for an unexpectedly icy off ramp, etc.

i installed it about 10k miles ago, no complaints. mod OME HD on 33s. very highly recommended, dunno how people live without it, turning ESP off all the time is wasting the capabilities of the 4WD system...

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2019, 10:00 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

I'm surprised to hear there's that big of an issue when going to 33's, as myself and my friend with a WK have both been running 32's for a combined 6+ years without issues.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 06:20 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm surprised to hear there's that big of an issue when going to 33's, as myself and my friend with a WK have both been running 32's for a combined 6+ years without issues.
i don't think the tire size matters for the false ESP activations, just the changes to suspension geometry. had the same stuff on the stock wheels & tires after lift. '05 ESP may try to intervene more than your '07? '05 did have some other differences like I have no 'hold 5 seconds to turn off' mode that the later years do. it was really bad before the EGR, kicking in constantly, especially if you went over any road imperfections while turning. the EGR fixed all that.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
i have it. it's great. changing the tire size is just a tiny fraction of what it does. much more important: it completely eliminates the false ESP activations that happen nonstop with a lift the size of OME HD or larger. the feel of the ESP is just right afterwards, never intruding when you don't want it but still right there if you need it for an unexpectedly icy off ramp, etc.

i installed it about 10k miles ago, no complaints. mod OME HD on 33s. very highly recommended, dunno how people live without it, turning ESP off all the time is wasting the capabilities of the 4WD system...
It limits AWD operation... some. But, 4wd lo shuts it off completely so I would argue 4wd performance is unaffected. I have one or 2 driveways I pull into that I know it will activate on if I take the turn a specific way. I reach over and press the button and all is well.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2019, 12:11 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
i don't think the tire size matters for the false ESP activations, just the changes to suspension geometry. had the same stuff on the stock wheels & tires after lift. '05 ESP may try to intervene more than your '07? '05 did have some other differences like I have no 'hold 5 seconds to turn off' mode that the later years do. it was really bad before the EGR, kicking in constantly, especially if you went over any road imperfections while turning. the EGR fixed all that.

I don't know what kind of sensors it uses to detect slip other than individual wheel speeds so I don't know how much of an effect geometry or tire size could have. The only time I have it kick in is when I hammer the throttle from a stop making a very hard turn and there's some debris on the road. Normally the rear diff locks up first though. I'd suspect you're right and they made other changes later on as well when they added the long hold in park to get mostly off option (I may have to wire in a switch to get full off like I want though). I wouldn't mind disabling it altogether as suddenly cutting all power seems more dangerous than some wheel spin in my mind.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in