Adjustable pedals don't move - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Adjustable pedals don't move

My Dad got an 06 limited Hemi 4x4 last August. Pretty sure I love his Jeep way more than he does haha One thing I have noticed is the "adjustable" pedals don't adjust. The switch is there, you can here it doing something but the virtually don't move at all. I took a look underneath to watch if they were moving whe the switch is pressed either way. The pedals move 1/4-1/3 of an inch and then they stop. If I press the button for the same direction again they will not move. I can press the button for it to move the other direction and it will move back the same amount and stop with no further movement in that direction. Any ideas what is hanging up the pedals keeping them from moving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
bigphil76
2005 WK 

Mine move about 2 inches then stop... I thought it was weird since I have been in other cars that pedals move over a 7 inch span.

97 ZJ 4.0, 2005 WK Hemi, Khaki WK Club #50 !!!!!!!GO TAR HEELS!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

2 inches would be better than the 1/3" of movement I get right now. It seems to be moved closer in too right now. Which when I get the seat and steering wheel in a comfortable position the pedals feel too close but usable but after a while of driving it wears out my leg because of the slightly awkward uncomfortable position.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Any suggestions anyone?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
SteveA83

I actually just fixed mine last week. It was the gas pedal bracket it has a metal worm gear that spins a plastic gear and the plastic gear split in one spot. It jammed the whole thing and they only moved an 1/8th of an inch. If you take off the black panel under dash (2 Phillips head screws), and pull down on the panel right under the steering wheel you can gain access to the motor and cable. The motor that moves the pedals is attached to the brake pedal and there is a cable that goes to the gas pedal bracket. If you follow that cable to the top of the gas pedal there is a plastic clip that you can squeeze together with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the cable out. Then press the switch and see if the brake pedal moves freely to full adjustments. If it does then chances are you need the gas pedal bracket which is separate part from actual gas pedal w/switch. The part cost me $90 online.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Ben824
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA83 View Post
I actually just fixed mine last week. It was the gas pedal bracket it has a metal worm gear that spins a plastic gear and the plastic gear split in one spot. It jammed the whole thing and they only moved an 1/8th of an inch. If you take off the black panel under dash (2 Phillips head screws), and pull down on the panel right under the steering wheel you can gain access to the motor and cable. The motor that moves the pedals is attached to the brake pedal and there is a cable that goes to the gas pedal bracket. If you follow that cable to the top of the gas pedal there is a plastic clip that you can squeeze together with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the cable out. Then press the switch and see if the brake pedal moves freely to full adjustments. If it does then chances are you need the gas pedal bracket which is separate part from actual gas pedal w/switch. The part cost me $90 online.
Well this was certainly the best advice I could get! And as you described the brake pedal moved the entire way back and forth once the cable was disconnected from gas pedal. So looks like I am replacing that bracket. I took a picture of the part number and will be picking up the part at my local dealer. I work at a Jeep dealer so I will get it at employee cost! I did take the adjuster assembly in the bracket apart and the hang up seems to be coming from the main cog on the adjuster screw that connects to the pedal assembly. The cog had split right in between two of the teeth so the cog would bind when it hit this point. The worm screw that would turn the cog is made out of metal but the cog was plastic. Seems like an easy fix for this to never be a problem again would be to make a metal version of the cog.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 PM
scott0720
2005 WK 

Sorry for commenting on an old thread. I am having this exact problem. Do you know the part number that you had to get? Is it actually just replacing the adjustable gas pedal or the part with the cable that goes between the adj brake pedal and the gas pedal? Thanks in advance! Scott
post #8 of 15 Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 AM
SteveA83

If you look at the gas pedal at the top you will see a plastic clip of you squeeze the two tabs in the cable will slide out...See if the brake pedal now adjusts up and down with the switch...if it does you'll prob need part #52109759AD which is the adjustable bracket that the gas pedal mounts to
post #9 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 PM
lazyWJ

2002 WJ 

Also having this problem, thanks to previous posters for suggestions on solutions. I will investigate this on my own jeep.

2004 Imola BMW ZHP
2006 Commander Limited Hemi QD2
"Bought, Not Built"
post #10 of 15 Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 PM
road_tripper

mine had this problem as well. the screw mechanism was stripped, so although the motor buzzed when the adjustment buttons were pressed, there was no movement.

replacing with a new one took about 10 minutes.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Jimbo_IX

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazywj View Post
also having this problem, thanks to previous posters for suggestions on solutions. I will investigate this on my own jeep.
^ x2

06 WK Overland, HEMI & QD2
2"BB, Bilstein 4600 & 5125.
MOABs & GY 255/75-17
intake & exhaust mods
post #12 of 15 Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM
msoukup84
2005 WK 

2005 WK Limited Hemi: I pulled the cable and found the gears in the gas/accelerator bracket for the pedal were broken too. I ordered the bracket 68003662AB (new part # for the old 52109760AD) and more than one dealer said I needed a new pedal pedal too, 53013675AC, in order to fit the new bracket. Well that is NOT the case even though that's the note in their parts system. The new pedal (the one pictured on the right) is about 1/4" further away from the brake pedal. Maybe some new NTSB requirement, but not worth ~$150. Just a money saving tip being passed on...
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 PM
bhramari

Thank you for this. Dealer quoted me $950 to replace the whole unit today...followed instructions and now I know what I need to buy to fix it....BUT.... I do have another related question: on the brake pedal, surrounding the plastic screw that adjusts the pedals back and forth, there is a metal bracket with a rectangular cut out where the pedal arm slides forward and backward. I am assuming you are supposed to have a full range of motion--my pedals can be retracted all the way back and bottoms out on the bracket, but moving them forward, it stops about half way. My total pedal movement (at the foot pads) is only about just over an inch.

Is there any way to adjust the total travel on the brake pedal side? Or am I SOL and should be grateful I can get 1" of movement for about a hundred bucks instead of .25"?

I think I had at least 3" before I screwed it up by adjusting it while holding the brake down at a stop light.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-18-2021, 05:17 PM
tallgreenpine

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but my pedals are in the highest position and do not move. When I push the down button there is a single clicking noise in the center console, but no noise from the pedals at all, and no movement at the pedals at all. Has anyone experienced this?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-19-2021, 07:41 PM
tallgreenpine

I disconnected the flexible motor shat from the accelerator peddle, and still no movement. Though I can hear and feel the motor buzzing, and the control module under the seat is clicking too. I took the shaft off the brake peddle as well to make sure the shaft wasn't stuck, but brake peddle is still not moving. I was not able to move the peddles manually either. I may have buy the bracket and peddle before they become too hard to buy, and just replace the whole system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in