Abs light on after wheel bearing change - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By caulk04

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Hi, wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this issue on my 2005 WK 5.7.

I had my driver side wheel bearing go bad. I replaced it with a timken bearing. Put everything back together and drove around with no issues. Next day I’m out driving a bit further and my abs light comes on. The brake pedal did feel a bit weird…any ideas??

Someone I know advised me to stomp on the brakes a few times. That actually did turn the light off the first time but it’s now back on a few seconds/minutes after every time I start it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-26-2021, 07:59 PM
SteveROntario

I have had it happen immediately after changing the wheel bearings. This can be avoided if you have the battery disconnected when servicing the hubs.
You are going to need to clear your codes and see if that fixes it. If not, you'll read the codes to see which wheel speed sensor is messed up.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #3 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 04:30 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Why is it that everyone recommends disconnecting the battery for every, single, insignificant service? Absolutely no reason to do that for a wheel bearing change. Doesn't hurt anything, but it 100% wouldn't have prevented his issue.

It's entirely possible that you bumped the sensor, contaminated it with debris, uncovered the fact that the sensor was failing, or one of many other scenarios. It's not unheard of that the tone ring in the new bearing is faulty. It's time for more diagnosis.

08 Limited Hemi - wheels, tires, springs...ya know, stuff

post #4 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 07:21 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Check the code first to see which wheel the sensor is acting up on.

I would suspect it's on the wheel that you changed the bearing on. I would check it for a loose connector or pinched wire. If you're saying the brake pedal also felt odd, I would also be checking for any loose bolts on that same wheel

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #5 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
Check the code first to see which wheel the sensor is acting up on.

I would suspect it's on the wheel that you changed the bearing on. I would check it for a loose connector or pinched wire. If you're saying the brake pedal also felt odd, I would also be checking for any loose bolts on that same wheel
Thanks will do. It was just a little farting sensation at the top of the brake pedal with very little pressure applied. Maybe it was nothing.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
Why is it that everyone recommends disconnecting the battery for every, single, insignificant service? Absolutely no reason to do that for a wheel bearing change. Doesn't hurt anything, but it 100% wouldn't have prevented his issue.
Because when you are working on a part that has an electrical interface of any kind, it's wise to unplug the battery. It's common sense.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

If you put a code reader on it, you may get C2200 ABS Module Fault. Just drive it. 5-6 Trips and it should clear itself. I have had this happen a couple of times. Seems as if the logic in the ABS module checks for significant deltas between wheel speed sensors, more than the allotted range for steering, etc, and throws the lights. Your spinning one wheel while the unit was electrically connected, likely caused this error. It can also happen when the rear wheels loose traction unevenly from one side to the other. A scan tool allows you to reset the dash lights, but I found that the code remains tripping the lights again, until 5-6 successful trips and aprox 100 successful miles have been traveled before the ABS module clears itself. These have been my observations.

If you cant retrieve the codes, but have cruise control, and it still works with the dash warning lights on; or if you can test the abs or traction control on grass etc. and it still functions, then you likely have the C2200 ABS module error code. That being the case, it will likely clear itself whenever the module determines all is normal as outlined above.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 02:05 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Because when you are working on a part that has an electrical interface of any kind, it's wise to unplug the battery. It's common sense.
Common sense isn't. Carry on.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 03:06 PM
SteveROntario

Feel free to lift a wheel on your vehicle, turn on the key, spin the wheel a bunch, and then try to drive away after putting the wheel back on the ground. The ABS will have a fit. You can avoid this problem by disconnecting the battery.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 04:39 PM
caulk04
2008 WK 

You're out of your mind.
yzjwk and acabtp like this.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-27-2021, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

So I drove from Toronto to Montreal today with the abs light on the entire drive. I had disconnected the battery earlier. Made no difference. I also used my scan tool to delete the codes and that also did nothing as the codes came back. I had no cruise control for the drive which was a bit of a pain…brought me back to my younger days of driving at least.

Oddly my odometer isn’t working properly. It registered only 250kms or so of the 500km drive between the two cities. Also my fuel mileage reading was way off…seems twice as worse as it should have been (30 Litres / 100 kms). I definitely wasn’t consuming that much fuel on the drive but with the odo capturing only half my actual distance it at least makes sense.

The codes my code reader showed were
C1043 - left rear tone wheel performance
C140a - transfer case motor performance
UO415 - implausible data received from abs

I’m hoping all 3 of these relate to the same abs issue. I will investigate the abs sensor tomorrow. There transfer case code is a little concerning. I had the rear driver side wheel off last week to replace a wheel stud and wonder if that has something to do with this
post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2021, 07:29 AM
caulk04
2008 WK 

So it was the front bearing you changed? And the code is unrelated to that corner...shocking. Anyway.

If you were in that left rear corner where the code is, I'd start by pulling the caliper and rotor off and inspecting the sensor and tone wheel for debris. It's not uncommon for schmutz to get on there and interfere. Sort that, then see if the UO415 goes away with it.

I wouldn't sweat the C140a so much. That was, as I recall, wildly common after one of the t-case recalls. If it's working and shifting as it should, forget about it. Otherwise, make sure it's been flashed with the most recent version relating to that recall.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2021, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
MrW88

Well I got everything sorted today. It was the rear left abs sensor causing my issue. I replaced that and the issue resolved. Also swapped my rear wheel bearings…the right in particular was getting noisy…much quieter ride all around and no abs light or any other codes on anymore. Old girl feels new again! Thanks for the help everyone
post #14 of 15 Old 07-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Vertisce21

Replacing all the wheel hubs is actually on my short list of things to do with my WK. I can't wait. It will be nice to have a quieter ride.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-30-2021, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
MrW88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Replacing all the wheel hubs is actually on my short list of things to do with my WK. I can't wait. It will be nice to have a quieter ride.
It is nice and quiet for sure. I’ve got 3 of 4 done now. Likely going to order the last corner even tho it seems fine.

Man I hope that’s it for a while on this Jeep. I’ve got 150k kms or around 90k miles on it. In addition to the wheel bearings, I’ve done the brakes including disks and front calipers, 4 new shocks (bilsteins), new battery, new starter. I’ve replaced every fluid, including diffs, transfer case, coolant, brake and transmission. In theory should be a new car good for another 100k miles. But seems there’s always something lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in