5.7 Hemi cylinder deactivation circuit error codes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-31-2021, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Jamzano
2008 WK 

5.7 Hemi cylinder deactivation circuit error codes

So I have a baffling issue with the MDS and cylinder deactivation error codes. I have checked the ignition coils and plugs, all look normal. I replaced the 4 Cylinder Deactivation Solenoids, all were looking pretty bad. I have checked the harnesses connecting to the PCM and all looked clean with no corrosion but I applied some dielectric grease anyway.

Here is the weird part. In the morning the Jeep will run normal, no sputtering or rough running and no error codes. In the afternoon on the way home it almost immediately sputters and runs rough and then about 20 to 30 minutes into my drive the check engine light comes on. Once I get home I clear the codes and the next morning it runs normal until the trip home in the afternoon.

My commute is about 30 miles, each way, which takes about 45 to 50 minutes.

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out, please tell me it is something simple!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-2021, 10:16 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

post ALL codes.
Any engine modifications - ANY mod.
Engine oil - brand weight etc.

Explain they looked bad?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-02-2021, 06:41 PM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
Also, try driving with the gear shifter in 4th (command shift) or whatever they call it. That should deactivate you MDS and that will confirm the other systems.

2006 Jeep WK on 33s
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-12-2021, 05:27 PM
IDoMy0wnRacing

2020 WK 

Garage
ECO Mode off should disable the MDS also.

Could have failing MDS lifters. The lifter not collapsing when MDS is activated but the injector and spark stops firing because MDS mode, but still measuring compression.

Very Respectfully

Ed
Going fast is only half the fun... You get to build it first.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2021, 08:57 PM
nwoods
2006 WK 

Garage
Any updates?

2006 Jeep WK on 33s
HAM: KI6FPO
Offroad Photography:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2021, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Jamzano
2008 WK 

Have been crazy busy and haven't had time to respond. Of course right after my original post the issue went away, but it is now back and doing the same thing where it runs fine in the morning and then crappy on the ride home. The codes are as follows:

P3401 - Cylinder 1 Deactivation Control Circuit
P3425 - Cylinder 4 Deactivation Control Circuit
P3441 - Cylinder 6 Deactivation Control Circuit
P3449 - Cylinder 7 Deactivation Control Circuit

There are no engine mods and I use Castrol High Millage Synthetic 5W-20. The Deactivation Solenoids looked like the came out of a vehicle with +230,000 miles. Grungy, dirty, oily and in general gunked up. Not sure how else to describe them. Everyone one of them had the top break off but other than that the swap out went fine.

I will have to look and see about turning off ECO mode, didn't realize that was an option. Manually shifting doesn't seem to change how the engine runs, if it is in the mood (afternoon) to run poorly, it runs poorly and then I get the check engine light and the same 4 codes.

If it happened randomly or all the time it would be so weird. But the fact that it will run just fine in the AM on the way to work and then almost immediately run rough in the afternoon on the way home makes zero sense.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-15-2021, 01:13 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you original/first owner?
Those dirty lifters - add a bottle of 'RISOLONE' an oil detergent, you can leave in till next change.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2021, 04:42 PM
Todd2F_3567

2007 WK 

Jamzano,

I have been dealing with MDS solenoids for a couple of years now (2007 Limited 5.7L No mods). I will get a rough idle and what feels like a misfire. I have to take the battery cables off and touch them together for a minute or 2 to do a reset of the computer. It will run fine for another 3 to 4 starts then begin the "misfire" again and throw a MDS Reactivation code (either P1411, P1414, P1416 and P1417; last number indicating the cylinder). If I turn off Tow/Haul, and drive until the engine is at normal operating temp, I can turn off Tow/Haul and run with no problems. If I spend too long in Hope Depot and the engine cools down, Tow/Haul has to be turned on again until normal operating temp. Tow/Haul will not allow the MDS to Activate/Reactivate. If I forget to turn on Tow/Haul, it will start to run rough. I can restart the car at a stop light and immediately hit Tow/Haul and it will be ok. If I forget several times, I have to do a reset again because Tow/Haul solution will no longer work. PITA!!

I replace the MDS solenoid that's throwing the code (initially #1) and 2 months later #7 starts throwing the code. Ran all the diagnostics I could the replaced the solenoid on #7. 2 months later it started again but moved to #4. I took it to a shop and they said they couldn't detect #4 turning on and off. I replaced it. I hooked up leads from the battery to the leads to the old solenoid and it switched just fine. I have no idea if the voltage was correct. 3 months later it started on #6 I took it back to the shop and they said they "We diagnosed #4 was bad. You replaced #4. #4 isn't having the problem. We did our job." I won't be going back there again.

I'm about to replace the PCM. The 4 tests I found in a tech bulletin had the last steps of each test as "replace the PCM." It's not a lifter, otherwise the problem wouldn't move from one cylinder to another. It's not the coil packs for the same reason. It's not plugs, they've all been changed and had no indication of anything other than normal wear. It's definitely not the MDS solenoids. PCM is my last resort, or take it to another mechanic that knows more. I'll let you know if the replacement PCM works!

Good luck and hope something in here helps!

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in