4.7L AC Problems... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2021, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Maverickxeo

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
4.7L AC Problems...

I am trying to get my parent's 06 Jeep Commander's AC to work and I've noticed a few things. First of all, there was ZERO PSI on the low side and the clutch was not engaging. Regardless of opinion of the product, I added some stopleak into the low side and the compressor started to engage and stay engaged. After, the low side PSI stayed at around 50PSI (about 29C ambient out today) and the clutch stayed engaged. At this point, I figured it was working, however, I checked the vents inside and it was blowing warm (pretty much ambient if I had to guess). I cycled the AC on and off and the clutch engaged and disengaged as expected. The Aux cooling fan IS working with the AC switch as well.

Took the Commander for a drive, and I noticed that while moving, the four driver-side vents all are blowing pretty cool (not as cool as I would expect - but enough to say it was working). The passenger side vents seemed a few degrees warmer - as if the AC was off. I should note this is NOT a dual climate zone vehicle - so I am REALLY confused here.

After returning home, the vents started to blow warmer air, but not ambient air - based on a meat thermometer, both sides were around 18C.

I let it idle for a while, and I noticed that the AC compressor NEVER stopped running while the AC was on - is it not supposed to cycle? Watching the low side pressure, it stayed at 50PSI - never moved in the slightest.

I also noticed that the AC clutch seems to be making a 'banging' sound while engaged - sort of like marbles in a can.

If anyone managed to read all of this - am I right to believe that the clutch may be wearing out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-22-2021, 07:55 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK Its to late to advise against the use of 'stop leak' in a AC system.
It seams the system was LOW or empty and a dye instead of a 'sealant' or 'stop leak' was the recommended start.

So ideally you should have gauges both High and Low.

I am guessing the system is low on refrigerant.
You claim the compressor remains on- what are the gauges reading?
What is the proper refrigerant charge for this vehicle?

As for the banging sound- check that it is not the compressor as a banging clutch is not common/likely.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2021, 01:29 PM
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Zero pressure on the low side would indicate there may be a leak in the system that needs to be fixed. Dye or take it to a professional local, trusted mechanic. They will either use dye or a sniffer, add more refrigerant, and then look for the leak/issue so that it can be repaired before the system is serviced/charged. On the marble sounding noise - does it occur when the AC is shut off or only when the AC is on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in